PDA

View Full Version : Blades Sharp.. Grass Still Frayed

ridgelawncare
05-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Can't figure out what is going on. I sharpen my blades before every day of mowing, but some property's grass still has frayed tips. It leaves the lawn looking bad with a white glaze over the top. Should I try some new blades? Can't seem to figure it out, even took the blades to get sharpened at a shop to see if I was sharpening them wrong but the grass still had frayed tips. I need help!

TLS
05-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Deck pitched correctly?

93Chevy
05-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Follow these simple tips and you'll have your split ends gone in no time.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/11/28/top-10-split-end-busters/

On a more serious note, do you know what kind of grass it is? I know that this occurs, maybe to a lesser degree than what you are insinuating, on one of my lawns, and the only difference is that the grass is different.

fblawn
05-08-2010, 12:10 AM
I would say more than any thing its your mower. But not your mower in general it could be belt on spindles not tight enough, or mower does not have the power or blade rpm...

kemco
05-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Right now we have a lot of poa annua (or poana) mixed in with most of the bermuda lawns we are cutting. I can have the sharpest blades and it still wont cut this stuff. It's so feathery it tends to lie down from the air currents from the blades and will therefore not get cut at all or not very well, I can run back over it time and time again and my mowers still wont cut it clean even with the sharpest blades... while the rest of the turf grass is being cut cleanly. It has a fine white blossom which can look like a white residue. Maybe that's what you have?

When the temp stays above 80ish for an extended period of time it will generally start to die out, but it is very frustrating.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=POAN

mow4cash
05-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I get the same problem once in a while. Its either deck pitch or type of grass. I also change up mowing direction because sometimes checkerboard or diamonds is not enough on certain types of grass that like to bend down.

Glenn Lawn Care
05-09-2010, 03:13 PM
is your mowing running at full rpm speed? try new blades

Shegardi
05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
deck pitch will do it.....so will speed....slow down a hair, give the blade time to cut the grass blade cleanly instead of "ripping" it apart

grassman177
05-09-2010, 10:07 PM
or try putting them on non upside down!!! couldnt resist as my guys have done this a few times and then wondered what was wrong, or even worse did not notice the bad cut

ridgelawncare
05-10-2010, 07:47 PM
whats the best way to go about adjusting your deck pitch, and what should it be at for mowing fescue and kentucky blue grass lawns. The yard that gets frayed is a fescue. I just took the belts off and checked to see if the bearings were bad on the spindles. The middle spindle seemed like it might have a bad bearing, could this be another reason why this is happening?