PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

LR3
05-07-2010, 11:19 PM
So, I just put down 30 tons of clean fill and topsoil. Tampered, leveled, seeded and fertilized. I also overseeded and fertilized approximately 17,000 sq./ft.
Job is complete and all is well but now the client wants me to water the entire lawn. I don't have the time to sit there and water the entire lawn each morning and night. What should I do? Is there a ompany that waters? If so, any in Conecticut? What other options do I have other than to say no!?

topsites
05-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Did you rake over the entire thing with a landscaper's rake so as to rake
the seed down into the soil some, or some kind of method to work it down in there?
Because to just overseed on top of some dirt isn't doing but so much...

Then, I guess I'd water it once but that's something I have learned needs to
be discussed with the home owner LONG before the job starts, it's ultimately
their responsibility but it might be a tough argument at this stage...

Not to say my word is final, hopefully there exist better and other ideas.

ajslands
05-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Go buy a timer and get on of those sprinklers that can drive and just have the hose go where you want to water...
Posted via Mobile Device

LR3
05-07-2010, 11:33 PM
We had discussed it all prior to the install. The overseeder or slice seeder, mixes the seed into the dirt so I only needed to rake in the seed to the new topsoil. As for the rest of the lawn, the overseeder took care of that. So, back to the watering, well, initially he said he would do it but today he asked me to do it so now I have to come up with a plan. I just went out and spent $500.93 on four, 4ft. hoses, four 100ft. hoses, eight sprinklers and two timers that split into 4 hoses. I mentioned the price and he asked me if there were alternatives. So, here I am..................... hoping to come up with a solution.

shovelracer
05-07-2010, 11:43 PM
You keep the equipment, charge him a rate or rental that takes care of it. I have tried the timer thing a few times and more times than not the homeowner messes with it. However even though you purchased the equipment and may rent it, i feel your rental should include site checks and would likely add up to an expense equal to the $500. Or they can just see if mother nature takes care of it. This is a great time to have a contract with warranty outlining watering guidelines.

I personally do not have a problem with watering, but that is cause we can get our hourly rate doing so. I have a job coming up this month that includes 300 plants. I was well informed prior to, that watering is not something they want to do. We will provide watering all season as needed for our hourly rate. Our only expense is the drive there so I am fine with that.

LR3
05-08-2010, 12:06 AM
You keep the equipment, charge him a rate or rental that takes care of it. I have tried the timer thing a few times and more times than not the homeowner messes with it. However even though you purchased the equipment and may rent it, i feel your rental should include site checks and would likely add up to an expense equal to the $500. Or they can just see if mother nature takes care of it. This is a great time to have a contract with warranty outlining watering guidelines.

I personally do not have a problem with watering, but that is cause we can get our hourly rate doing so. I have a job coming up this month that includes 300 plants. I was well informed prior to, that watering is not something they want to do. We will provide watering all season as needed for our hourly rate. Our only expense is the drive there so I am fine with that.

Interesting. Because he initially wanted to water it himself we didn't write it in that I would water. Today, after the job, he asked me to take care of it. What is your hourly rate for watering? Everything I have is unused and I can still return what I won't need. But some of the stuff I can keep and reuse at some point or another and rent it to another account. I figure, for a light watering of the entire property, it would take approximately an hour and a half start to finish. Once around 6am, and then again at 6-6:30 pm everyday for one to one and a half weeks.