PDA

View Full Version : Non-stick coating testing beginning this week

997Gene
05-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Hi all,

First time posting but have been reading, learning for some time. I have a 997 Zero turn and mow about 7 acres every week. Had to mow some wet spots earlier and was shocked at the build up. Must have taken 30 lbs scraping the deck.

I searched for the answer to this dilema and the most common reply is Fluid Film. It may prove to be the best but it's not immediately dry so that makes me wonder. I'm an engineer and wanted to prove what is the best. This is not a scientific test, and your results may vary.:dancing:

First thing I did take the deck off and wash the bottom, spent a bunch of time prepping the metal and just got done with my first coat of POR15. I wanted to start with a smooth hard surface and this stuff is tuff as nails. Will put second coat on in a few hours. I also metal prepped and POR15'd the blades, here why:

I want to do the testing on the blades first. I'm afraid that if I coat the deck with something that doesn't work, then it may stop the adhesion of what I find is the best. So I will first see what works best to keep the green crud from sticking to the blades. This way I can also make sure it wont eat through the POR15. If anything works on the blades, I would think it should work better on the deck.

I double bladed my deck this spring, two blades on each spindle, crisscrossed and tack weld to keep them at right angles. This gives me plenty of surfaces to work with. The green crud was almost quarter inch thick on the blades near the spindles and it was even on all the blades. I've notched the blades so I can keep track of what product I used where.

So what coatings am I going to try? I did as many hours of research and ended up deciding on the following:

Fluid Film
Liquid Wrench Silicone spray
Dupont Teflon Silicone Lubricant
Dupont Teflon Molti-use dry wax lubricant
Dri slide dry film lubricant with moly and graphite
Sprayon Premium mold release PTFE
Carnuba car wax
Meguiars Gold Class Car wax
and finally - nothing - just the POR15 paint

Yes, I know there is other stuff I could try. Pam would seam to be a very short term solution and I'm looking for something that will last. I went by what will repel moisture and remain slick. This is all stuff I could get my hand on in two days.

I will coat 1/2 of each blade top and bottom with 2 coats of each product. I listed 9 tests above, that leaves me three open blade halves because I'm double bladed. Any suggestions? Need them fast. I have an above ground hoist in my shop so I can easily check the results on a weekly basis. Once I've figured out what works best, I will take the deck off scrub it clean and coat the whole thing.

If nothing works, I will be dissappointed to say the least:cry: If I find the answer it will be easier for all of us:drinkup:

What do ya think?

MS_SURVEYOR
05-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Sure! I like the idea. Will be looking forward to the results.

997Gene
05-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Yea, I hope I learn something here and end up ahead. I cleaned and painted the bottom of a different deck years ago with hardware store paint, what a waste of time that was. Swore I'd never do it again but here I am. I've had some car experience with POR15, it's incredible stuff. Now, if I can just figure out what it will take to keep anything from sticking to it for more than a week or two, I'll be thrilled!

Mickhippy
05-08-2010, 04:02 AM
I want to see the results!

dwost
05-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Funny, I just posted this up. I say skip the others, Fluid Film is my vote! http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=316179

On a side note, I may paint my deck this winter. What color did you use or did you use the clear? I'm leaning toward black. Also, did you spray it or brush it on? TIA!

997Gene
05-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Funny, I just posted this up. I say skip the others, Fluid Film is my vote! http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=316179

On a side note, I may paint my deck this winter. What color did you use or did you use the clear? I'm leaning toward black. Also, did you spray it or brush it on? TIA!

I used the high gloss black and brushed it on. No clear. A little goes a very long way. I have a 5 foot deck, did 2 coats on the deck and the blades and didn't even use a quarter of the $47 quart!!!! Make sure you use the POR metal prep too. The rest will probably go to waist as it's time sensitive, once you open it you only have so long to use it. Get it on your hands and you will have to wear it off, it's there to stay. Get it in the rim if the can and put the lid back on and you end up with a can with no opening!

TennisBum
05-08-2010, 10:32 AM
CLEAN DECK or MowerGuard both work well.

The Rookie
05-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I have heard graphite paint works. But I don't believe anything will work for more than 10 hours of mowing.

dwost
05-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks Gene, that's good info. I may tackle this over the winter. Let us know how it holds up over the summer.

997Gene
05-08-2010, 02:33 PM
CLEAN DECK or MowerGuard both work well.

What can you tell me about these products? Are they a deck paint or a spray on overcoat? Have you used them? How long does an application of it last?

Thanks,

Gene

997Gene
05-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks Gene, that's good info. I may tackle this over the winter. Let us know how it holds up over the summer.

I'll keep you all informed. One thing to note, if you have some open bolt holes on your deck, put duct tape over the holes on the top side before you flip the deck upside down. I had it come through the holes onto my nice green paint and this stuff will only come off with the green paint attached!:wall

997Gene
05-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Well, I'm finally ready to start the testing. It's been raining on and off for the last two days and since I've been doing this project the grass has gotten a little long, it should be good for the initial test. I'll be mowing tomorrow. I have to, got plans for every other day.

In the pictures you can see the finished painted deck and blades. I was very careful to not contaminate the blades with overlapping sprays by masking them off as you can see. There is one pick of what the blades look like with the different coating and mounted on the deck. After a few hours, the only spray that remained wet was fluid film. I'm anxious to see what happens.:confused:

Gene

MS_SURVEYOR
05-08-2010, 07:16 PM
What brand mower is this? I've got to know! :rolleyes:

:drinkup:

dwost
05-08-2010, 09:39 PM
John Deere

997Gene
05-08-2010, 10:16 PM
What brand mower is this? I've got to know! :rolleyes:

:drinkup:

Yah, it's a John Deere 997 diesel. I really love this machine. I usually end up mowing full speed, the only thing that slows me down is bumps, the motor has tons of torque and is really fuel efficient.

Gene

997Gene
05-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Well, all my efforts were pretty much a waste of time. Mowed today. First thing I noticed was that as soon as I turned on my deck, the was a poof of oil spray from under the deck. It was the Fluid film as that was the only deck blade that remained wet after application. I was over my blacktop drive when I engaged the deck so I've got a nice oil ring there.

After mowing one acre I put the mower back on my hoist to check things out. There was very little difference between the blades, none of them clean. The only ones I could tell were a little worse than the rest was the two that I used car wax on. The rest were about all the same. The ones with no coating over the POR15 may even have been a touch cleaner.

I had two products that left a thicker coat on the surface, one of which was the Fluid Film. Both were dry except near the bolt. I'm convinced that I know how this stuff works when people spray it on the deck. It seems to me that it creates a jell barrior on the surface of the deck. I guess that will work fine for the short term but I have a hard time understanding how it would stay on for more than two mowings. Could get costly to keep re applying?

The POR15 did not hold up as well as I thought it would either. I would say at least 5% is gone already and the deck held onto quite a bit of grass too. The lawn here is thick and quite lush and once a little spot starts holding some grass on the deck, it builds up fast.

Might be better off building a deck wash system instead of trying to stop it from collecting. I wonder if my double blades could be making it worse by chopping the stuff into mush?

Dissapointed to say the least.:cry:

Gunnels Grounds & More
05-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Sorry to hear those results. My cub ztr came with the deck wash and it really helps to keep the deck clean. Put the brake on set the deck as low as it will go and run for at least 10 min. If the grass is completely dry and really full you will still have to scrape but is much easier and faster. Good luck

MS_SURVEYOR
05-10-2010, 01:12 AM
:laugh:

I'm sorry! I did the same thing several years ago with rhino liner. 2 mowing and there was no trace of it. :confused: Oh well you are trying. I hear what you're saying about FF. But on bare metal the affects seem to last longer than 2 mowings. I have very little build up. But one thing I do notice is I have no surface rust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxEvlPsGvRA

Mickhippy
05-10-2010, 02:49 AM
Surprise factor...... "Zero!" lol

I appreciated your honesty and effort though!

Best way to avoid gunk build up under deck.... Avoid wet grass! haaa (easier said than done)

997Gene
05-30-2010, 06:19 PM
I give up! Nearly all the POR-15 is gone after 20 hours of mowing and where it remains it seems to hang on to the grass more than bare metal.

I've sprayed just about every spray available on the deck - after cleaning it - but nothing makes much difference for more than one mowing. Grass just has a consistancy that you can't do much about.

I've wasted a lot of time and money and don't recommend anyone going through the hassles that I did.

The only thing good about banging your head against the wall is that it feels great when you finally stop!:wall

RDA
05-31-2010, 01:12 AM
First thing I did take the deck off and wash the bottom, spent a bunch of time prepping the metal and just got done with my first coat of POR15. I wanted to start with a smooth hard surface and this stuff is tuff as nails. Will put second coat on in a few hours.

Exactly what did you do to "prep the metal" prior to coating the surface with POR15?

I have had very good results with POR15 on mowing decks.

Regards,

Rich

997Gene
05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
I first washed the deck with soap and water. Then I used rough sanding to remove the remaining paint and grass residue so it was all bare metal Then I wash it down with the POR-15 metal prep, rinsed it good water. After that I blew it dry with compressed air and followed up all areas with a heat gun to make sure there was no moisture left. Then I applied the POR-15. Waited until is was just slightly tacky and did the second coat.

So where did I go wrong? I actually was wondering if the Fluid-Film penetrated and made the paint lift. You've done this on your own decks? How long has it lasted for you. Do you spray any non-stick spray on the coated decks that could interfere with the deck coating adhesion? How long does it last for you, how many estimated hours, what part of the country?

Thanks

RDA
05-31-2010, 10:01 PM
I first washed the deck with soap and water. Then I used rough sanding to remove the remaining paint and grass residue so it was all bare metal Then I wash it down with the POR-15 metal prep, rinsed it good water. After that I blew it dry with compressed air and followed up all areas with a heat gun to make sure there was no moisture left. Then I applied the POR-15. Waited until is was just slightly tacky and did the second coat.

So where did I go wrong? I actually was wondering if the Fluid-Film penetrated and made the paint lift. You've done this on your own decks? How long has it lasted for you. Do you spray any non-stick spray on the coated decks that could interfere with the deck coating adhesion? How long does it last for you, how many estimated hours, what part of the country?

Thanks

I don't where you went wrong, POR-15 likes bare metal that has some rust or has been media blasted, I have used it both ways with good success. I also use the Metal Ready during the prep process. Something went wrong though, no way does POR-15 not last longer than your experience.

Yes, I have done this on my own decks, first on a Simplicity 44" deck (it worked great, 95% was still in tact after three years of mowing 1/2 acre at least weekly and I just touched up the few areas it wore through. No, I never used any other product on it. I also did the wide body cart for my Simplicity (it looked near 99.5% perfect after three years of use on the Simplicity). I also did my 54" deck on my JD445 and I recently did the underside of my Quick 36" deck as well, so far so good this season in about 6+ mowings of 1/2 acre. I am also using Fluid Film now on the Quick 36".

Regards,

Rich