PDA

View Full Version : junction at base of trees

emby
05-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Hey lots of questions today. I would like to ask for some of your creative ideas on how to discretely make your terminations at the base of your trees.
My idea was to create a hub in the sod area below the tree and install an irrigaiton valve box. Then I thought about taking some 3/4 or 1 inch irrigation piping and use this for the transition between the base of the tree and the irrigation box.
How do all of you complete this installation with stealth and neatness?

Ken

S&MLL
05-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Just burry it. I will only put "hubs" in 5" valve boxes if they are major Hubs and new landscaping. If the homeowner has no plans for more plantings in the future we just burry the hubs. The price of the purple lids for the valve boxes are unreal. You can buy a 5" circle with green lid for 4 dollars. With purple lid is about 18. Not worth the extra expense on the job.

ELumin8
05-10-2010, 01:16 AM
My suggestion is to use an electrical rated PVC j-box (Scepter) for all your electrical connections, this will prevent confusion when trouble shooting. Keep the electrical seprate from the irrigation. I know the irrigation has electrical components but if I may speak of behalf of the electrical contractors we would never look in a irrigation box to solve or service a tree lighting issue.

irrig8r
05-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Just burry it. I will only put "hubs" in 5" valve boxes if they are major Hubs and new landscaping. If the homeowner has no plans for more plantings in the future we just burry the hubs. The price of the purple lids for the valve boxes are unreal. You can buy a 5" circle with green lid for 4 dollars. With purple lid is about 18. Not worth the extra expense on the job.

Purple lids? Where did he ask anything about purple lids? They are for a specific purpose: identifying non-potable or "recycled' water.

Why would you want to use them for a junction box? Way too visible. Most suppliers have black boxes and lids.

irrig8r
05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
My suggestion is to use an electrical rated PVC j-box (Scepter) for all your electrical connections, this will prevent confusion when trouble shooting. Keep the electrical seprate from the irrigation. I know the irrigation has electrical components but if I may speak of behalf of the electrical contractors we would never look in a irrigation box to solve or service a tree lighting issue.

I've found lots of line voltage electrical connections in concrete Christy boxes, usually with DBYs/ DBRs. Plastic box mfrs make them with different labeled lids, like CTV. Not sure if I've seen any that say electrical.

They market them as such though:

http://www.carsonind.com/utilelvltlht.asp

S&MLL
05-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Purple lids? Where did he ask anything about purple lids? They are for a specific purpose: identifying non-potable or "recycled' water.

Why would you want to use them for a junction box? Way too visible. Most suppliers have black boxes and lids.

Well the ones at my local place are purple and say "LOW VOLTAGE WIRING"

Maybe purple has 2 meanings

irrig8r
05-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Well the ones at my local place are purple and say "LOW VOLTAGE WIRING"

Maybe purple has 2 meanings

Never heard of that. Seems to me they should have used a different color.

Purple pipe, valves even sprinklers are available in purple for reclaimed water. There's a whole separate relaimed water system in place out here from the sewage treatment plant that waters landscaping at industrial parks, medians, etc. Not sure if they are still expanding it.