PDA

View Full Version : Well Light Installtions using PAR36

emby
05-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Ok another one for you. What preventitive installation methods do you perform when installing PAR36 well lights. The particular well lights are Cast with the bronze grate and have the round glass under the grate.
My thoughts of a proper installation is as follows:
Dig the whole about twice the depth of the can. Fill the bottom with screenings for drainage. Before placing can in ground take dielectric lithium grease and with your finger or small brush coat both terminal screws with the grease and coat the fork connector as well. Make terminations and install bulb. Place can into hole and back fill with screenings packing it down as you fill around the perimeter leaving under the bulb open.
Anything that I am missing or some hidden secrets?
Thanks again.

Ken

S&MLL
05-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Your doing more then most will ever do. I stopped using par36s last year. Only well lights I use are mr16s. And I might use 1 well light for every 20 spots. Par36s take up to much room on the service truck. I can fit 6 mr16 boxes in the same spot as 1 par36

The Lighting Geek
05-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I quit using in ground fixtures a couple of years ago due to bad gardeners dumping mulch on them and later catching fire. The lights great, we install them with great care, but the guys doing bark in my area are terrible. It gets to 110 here sometimes and the bark gets awful dry. We now use well lights only in turf or hard-scape situations.

emby
05-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. All of these will be going into the sod. No mulch just grass.
Please keep the suggestions coming.

Ken

David Gretzmier
05-09-2010, 12:29 AM
I did a retro fit job recently and gave the halogen blend xenon gas bulbs another try, used both heat shrink connectors and heat shrink tubing over the base of the connectors to try and truly keep water out of the connection. I too only use mr-16 wells in tree turf areas. but occaisionally the pars come up and what you previously described works. I also make sure I have a couple of feet of wire in the base of the well to make it easy to change bulbs.

Mayor_tx
05-09-2010, 12:07 PM
When we have to put them in the yard, we'll take about an extra 4-6" of grass around the well light and put in pea gravel. This will create a barrier so the lawn guys will see the fixture better, keep grass from growing around the light, and it looks much cleaner. We'll also put in some Amdro below the well light to keep the ants out.

ELumin8
05-10-2010, 12:08 AM
6-8 inches of 3/4 crush (drain rock), anti-oxidant compund on the connection terminals. We get a lot of rain in the Pacific North West and I have seen guys try to insulate the terminals to prevent wicking.

emby
05-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks everybody. I have completed the installation and will be taking some night time shots and I will post in a few weeks.

Once again thank you for sharing all of your experience and knowledge.

Ken

JoeyD
05-17-2010, 11:43 PM
When we have to put them in the yard, we'll take about an extra 4-6" of grass around the well light and put in pea gravel. This will create a barrier so the lawn guys will see the fixture better, keep grass from growing around the light, and it looks much cleaner. We'll also put in some Amdro below the well light to keep the ants out.

6-8 inches of 3/4 crush (drain rock), anti-oxidant compund on the connection terminals. We get a lot of rain in the Pacific North West and I have seen guys try to insulate the terminals to prevent wicking.

Thats the way to do...Unique makes a debris guard that works well for keeping grass form growing up and over....

BrandonV
05-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Working on commission Joey?
Posted via Mobile Device

JoeyD
06-11-2010, 04:57 PM
nope..just love for my friends....I couldnt be happier not selling lighting anymore...LOL...but all you guys are awesome! Hope everyone is doing good!

Tim R.
06-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I have limited my Par usage to only architectural lighting now. I still like the way the par lamp spreads the light better than an MR.. personal choice. In grass situations I have been using the inground, directional MR16 from Alan at Landscape lighting world. Great little fixture too by the way. I wish the brass top was a little more robust, but for the price point you can't beat it!

I do all the things you guys are doing when planting well lights. One thing I also do is to drill a small hole (1/4" or so) right under the bottom edge of the brass cap through the black abs sleeve. I have noticed when it rains there is some condensation on the inside of the glass from the wet ground warming up with the lamp. The small air hole allows the warmer, higher pressured air to flow and escape out through the hole to a less dense, cooler air outside the can and avoid a lot of the condensation issues.

David Gretzmier
06-12-2010, 02:52 PM
one can't argue with the effect and that picture tim. that looks great. nice sky.