PDA

View Full Version : New Trailer! pics to come. Is this investment logic correct?

dhunterd08
05-08-2010, 06:48 PM
These are the numbers I have figured for year 2010

New(to me) 6.4x14ft open, wood treated, gate, single axle 3500lb axle, one new tire one half tread. 3 or 4 years old, garaged, good shape w/ welded trimmer rack, title

Will buy for $700

Add $300 extra storage paid until december

Less $400(estimated conservative craigslist value) of old trailer(one year old, wood treated,dove tail single axle 3500lb,5x10,)

Less $150 in tax liability that would have to be paid($1000 in expenses X 15.4% self employment tax)

Less $100 for trimmer rack that would have been trimmer racks

So I figure It will cost me $350 net realizable value for trailer

Advantages:
Trimmer racks that should have been bought months ago

Extra Space

Easier Ride

Room For Expansion

Suprisingly Easier To Back

Garage Space!!!!!!

No chance of backing trailer into side of garage(8 ft wide garage cost me $400 last year to get repaired)

Finally, I feel like a hack with a 5x10 which is worth $500 to me

Disadvantages:

Slight problem parking, but not huge deal as my residentials are pretty open and commercial is no problem

Get used to larger Trailer

No Dovetail

Trailer could possibly get stolen at storage, although insurance will cover it

Gas Mileage hurt

Thanks everyone deal will be done by the time anyone posts, but it is good to get advice. These numbers are relatively conservative.

MikeKle
05-09-2010, 12:31 AM
That is cheap for a 14ft trailer, but I would be leery of a single axle trailer that long, I thought all trailers over 14ft and over had to have 2 axles? Be very careful about the weight you put on it! If you look around, especially on craigslist, you can find used 16ft tandems all the time, usually pretty cheap too, but you may have to re-paint or do minor repairs to it, some can be had for $500 or less! 16ft trailers are built heavier so can handle the weight better and are cheaper because there are many, many more of them out there than 14fts, so they will be cheaper,

As far as the value logic, you are putting WAY too much thought into a 14ft open trailer you bought for $700. Simply use it until you feel you need something bigger, or if it has trouble with the weight being a single axle 14ft!!! Im serious, be VERY careful with that trailer on the road!

dhunterd08
05-09-2010, 01:52 AM
That is cheap for a 14ft trailer, but I would be leery of a single axle trailer that long, I thought all trailers over 14ft and over had to have 2 axles? Be very careful about the weight you put on it! If you look around, especially on craigslist, you can find used 16ft tandems all the time, usually pretty cheap too, but you may have to re-paint or do minor repairs to it, some can be had for $500 or less! 16ft trailers are built heavier so can handle the weight better and are cheaper because there are many, many more of them out there than 14fts, so they will be cheaper,

As far as the value logic, you are putting WAY too much thought into a 14ft open trailer you bought for $700. Simply use it until you feel you need something bigger, or if it has trouble with the weight being a single axle 14ft!!! Im serious, be VERY careful with that trailer on the road!

I am kind of OCD about cost-benefit analysis lol. I am just trying to pay for school and cant afford to make poor business decesions, if I want to keep the bills paid ha ha. I pulled the trigger though. I am friends with the guy I bought it from and see him weekly, so it should be a pretty straight trailer. Title says made in 08 and it was built by one of the main LLCs in this area. I also posted the 5x10 for 550 on craigslist and have like 4 people coming tommorrow morning, but we know how craigslist is.... I am not really worried about weight for me personally. My uncle keeps 900 series deere, 7h17, and trim mowers on identical tralier w/dovetail, and the guy i bought it from has a Super Z and 48 trimstar on there. I have a 36 inch gravely soooooo yea lol. Hopefully it will work out good, but I appreciate the advice. I will watch it for sure. A 16 just seems like too much for my current setup and i didn't do too bad lol.

hillcountrymower
07-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Go for a tandem axle 16' w/4' sides and a lock box, you won't regret it! In off season you can load a bunch of dirt or rocks or mulch.....and brakes come on tandems.

dhunterd08
07-08-2010, 02:29 AM
actually went with the 14ft and now i am thinking about a self enclosed lol. I can tell it is destroying the brakes on my truck, but i think I can easily get my money back out of it. For now, I did some grade a professional body work(with a hammer of course), sanded and painted it, stained the wood floor, put two deck joists at the front of the trailer with a 2x4, and fastend down a jackstand. It holds the push mower, gas cans, 5 gallon buckets, and one of the backpacks in place, so they are not moving around. I also can but the walkbehinds wheels over the top, so it will not move. I am actually proud of it for the most part.

MikeKle
07-09-2010, 11:22 AM
That trailer should not be causing any harm to the brakes on the truck, it is pretty light..no? an enclosed will weigh more, unless you get an aluminum, but those will be pricey! I would check the trucks brakes, sounds like they may be bad to begin with, that small trailer isnt hurting them though.

dhunterd08
07-10-2010, 02:20 AM
That trailer should not be causing any harm to the brakes on the truck, it is pretty light..no? an enclosed will weigh more, unless you get an aluminum, but those will be pricey! I would check the trucks brakes, sounds like they may be bad to begin with, that small trailer isnt hurting them though.

new rotors and pads a month ago....not really harming them, I just think it is hard on the truck in general. Idk. After a year of browsing F150 Forums. First 3 months of owning the truck, I was convinced the rear dif was going out. yes, I called two dealers to ask what it would feel like. My uncle has brainwashed me in to thinking anything with more than 50k miles is seconds from breaking down ha ha ha.

StihlBR600
11-13-2010, 06:20 PM
I pull a 6 x 16 tandem with my 2000 Ranger 3.0 liter. It does fine around the city but not so good on the highway

South Florida Lawns
11-15-2010, 08:09 PM
That post gave me a headache lol. You should look at my 2 16 ft trailers and the setup i got going on you would go crazy.