PDA

View Full Version : New to the business

spx0567
07-07-2002, 11:46 PM
I was wondering what kind of tank and sprayer I should get for my new lawn care business. My friend and I, who are both 16, have just started a lawn care business. He takes care of the mowing, and I do the trimming and fertilizer/weed killer. I was wondering if you could help me any with what kind of tank and sprayer to get. I am not the richest person in the world, I just need something to get me going, so that I will have some money to buy other things that we need. I need a new trimmer and probably a blower, so if anyone has any info on those sorta things, please help me out. Thanks in advance
Josh

1MajorTom
07-08-2002, 12:16 AM
Plenty of information here to read. Use the search button at the top right hand of the page to get you started. Then if you have a specific questions about a certain brand of trimmer or blower, then ask away.

As for the weed control, you need to be a licensed applicator.
Each state has different requirements for becoming licensed.

Start gradually. Concentrate on the lawn maintenance side of things. Get yourself good equipment, build up a good customer base, educate yourself, then worry about getting into the fertilizing/weed control side of things.

Welcome to Lawnsite.

Flipper
07-14-2003, 09:11 PM
"You must have a licence to spray for weeds" - come on guys, gimme a break. How is a young 16 year old gonna do lawn maintenance if he cant spray the place for weeds?

I've been doing this two years, I don't have one. Who cares? round up, or products like it, (the patent ran out) are non toxic to the animals or fishy's. thats what it was designed for.

Sure if you can afford it, have the time, feel guilty, get your licence. Until then,, spray the darn weeds.

As for the sprayer,,, backpack is SO much better than one you have to hold in your hand,, if you can pay the extra, its WAY worth it.

I would stay away from treating weeds in the lawn with chemicals,, that can be problematic. If you dont have the proper training, then you learn from trial and error,, which is BAD.

If you use your head,, keep it up,, you can turn this into a really great career for your selves. And dont let folks tell you what you cant do,, you talk to the folks that tell you what you can do! Peace Tony

1MajorTom
07-14-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Flipper
"You must have a licence to spray for weeds" - come on guys, gimme a break. How is a young 16 year old gonna do lawn maintenance if he cant spray the place for weeds?

I've been doing this two years, I don't have one. Who cares? round up, or products like it, (the patent ran out) are non toxic to the animals or fishy's. thats what it was designed for.

If you use your head,, keep it up,, you can turn this into a really great career for your selves. And dont let folks tell you what you cant do,, you talk to the folks that tell you what you can do! Peace Tony

Hey, that's the kind of attitude I like. Why follow the laws? Heck, if you can get away with it, go for it. The state sets the laws, but only some should follow them.
Yep, Tony's right. Just talk to folks that tell you what you can do. These laws only have to be obeyed by certain folks. If Tony can get away with it, I'm sure you can too. :rolleyes:

Btw, it's been a little over a year since Josh first started this thread. How's it going Josh?

Turf Medic
07-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Flipper
[BSure if you can afford it, have the time, feel guilty, get your licence. Until then,, spray the darn weeds.

If you use your head,, keep it up,, you can turn this into a really great career for your selves. And dont let folks tell you what you cant do,, you talk to the folks that tell you what you can do! Peace Tony [/B]

Kind of an interesting view point. I figured I didn't have the extra time and money to not get the license. What with fines, law suits and costs of replacing lawns and other greenscape. But heck if you have the extra cash to pay for those type of things and the extra time involved in defending yourself in court on the tickets you potentially could receive. Go for it skip the license and insurance, the worst it could get is you ruin any chance of having a reputable business in the future.