PDA

View Full Version : Temps for growing grass???

MrUPS
05-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Hi guys I live in NH and the temps this week are going to average 50's to 60's during the day and high 30's to low 40's at night.. With possible showers here and there... Is it ok to overseed my acre of lawn with a slit seeder this week or is it to cool... Should i do it now or wait another week. I am up in the air i dont want to wait and have it get real hot on us.. If we get frost will it hurt the seeds at all??
If i am using it slit seeder should i topdress at all? i only have a couple bare spots where the grubs got in last year should i just top dress those areas?
Thanks

EastCoast
05-09-2010, 11:24 AM
It's fine to overseed now, seeds will not get harmed by the cooler weather, but germination will not start until the soil reached a temperature of 55 degrees. The frost will not harm the seed either, actually some people like to seed during the winter, called dormant seeding.

Since you are slit seeding, top dressing is not required, but will help your seeds if performed with compost or peat moss. The most important thing after seeding, is keeping that soil moist, watering two to three times a day for an least two weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device