PDA

View Full Version : New guy with questions

GonHuntin
05-09-2010, 12:13 AM
I have been mowing for 19 years with an International 234 (mitsubishi) diesel tractor and a 5 foot finishing mower.......I put siding on my house 2 summers ago and, despite being as careful as I possibly can, I have managed to put several holes through it from small rocks/ sticks thrown by the mower. Yesterday, I put another hole in the siding and I've had enough!

Today I went to look at Hustler and BadBoy mowers, next week, I'll look at other dealers in the area )Tulsa, OK) and see what Kubota, Dixie Chopper, Ferris and a few other have to offer. Whatever I buy will be diesel powered and, from what I saw today, the BadBoy compact diesel will be tough to beat for features, toughness and price.

I need something that will stop the damage to the siding.......I thought about a rear discharge mower, but the dealer suggested a mulching set up??? He admitted he has never done the mulching set-up on the BadBoy, but was certain it would do what I wanted.......I prefer first hand experience over speculation, so I thought I'd ask here! What is your opinion of a mulching set-up for normal use??? I mow about 3 acres and it is mostly flat with lots of trees.......the grass/weeds are whatever feels like growing :rolleyes: and it would be a HUGE bonus if the mulching set-up would take care of the leaf problem I deal with each fall too???

So, how good are the mulchers these days??? Do they really mulch well enough to take care of dead oak leaves?

Any other suggestions/advice/comments??

Thanks, Mark

Richard Martin
05-09-2010, 04:37 AM
Your problem isn't the mower that you have now. Spending over 10 thousand dollars on a new mower won't get rid of the rocks and sticks that you continue to run over week after week, year after year.

Nosmo
05-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Until you decide on a new mower and maybe even afterwards try making a few passes with the discharge away from the house.

Nosmo

Merkava_4
05-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Your problem isn't the mower that you have now. Spending over 10 thousand dollars on a new mower won't get rid of the rocks and sticks that you continue to run over week after week, year after year.

Yeah, it might be cheaper to tear out the turf and remove all the rocks and sticks - then hydroseed it maybe.

GonHuntin
05-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Well, since I have 50 or so oak trees on the front 5 acres (I don't mow all of it), and a gravel driveway, it would be a bit difficult to remove all the sticks and rocks!:laugh:

Turn the discharge away from the house??? Wow, wish I'd thought of that one!:laugh: The majority of the discharge exits the left side, but some also exits the right........until you back up, then the discharge reverses. When I am close to the house, I turn the rpms down to 1500 to slow the blades and lessen the chance of damage, but it doesn't always work.

I figure a rear discharge or a mulching set-up should help with projectiles exiting the sides??

Any input on the mulching question??

Thanks, Mark

Cboy7
05-09-2010, 08:17 AM
also you can install a kit with a handle to close over the chute while you pass by the house.

jhawk60
05-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Today's mulchers work very well, however... they are probably not going to do a satisfactory job of making the leaves from fifty large trees disappear.

Were I you, I would plan on purchasing a bagger attachment for in the fall.

LarryF
05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I never a problem like yours shooting stones and sticks. I would expect a deflector, if installed, should minimize that hazard. But you mentioned a rear discharge mower, and if it had a collector system such as what comes with the Exmark Navigator (http://www.exmark.com/Navigator.htm), it seems to me that would eliminate the risk completely. Or you could use a Cyclone rake (http://www.cyclonerake.com/order.htm), which would set you back less than a couple of thousand. Both would also be handy in the fall for leaf pickup.