PDA

View Full Version : Re-Decking A Trailer

NORTHMAN
05-09-2010, 07:09 AM
I have to replace the un-treated wood deck on my 12' landscape trailer do to rot,are there any alternatives to a wood deck,like expanded metal?If I go with wood,do I have to cut the metal lip on one end of the trailer to get the wood in and then re-weld?Thanks for any help.

mnglocker
05-09-2010, 07:55 AM
You won't have to cut any metal. The wood will lift at the back and pull out of the front "lip".

Look at composite decking matterial if you're sick of rotten wood, that or you could go with the good old stand by of treated lumber for much less $$$$.

SouthSide Cutter
05-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I just welded the back on for a friend who had to cut it off to get the boards out. All trailers are not equal. I like using #1 yellow pine then treat it. Leave a gap between boards, done alot of horse trailers this way years ago. Be sure to put the arch of the grain up. Someone said when they pressure treat, it busts the wood fibers and they are not as strong. Anyway I also like using wider boards. What ever you use just keep some Thompsons Water Seal on it and it will last for along time.

M.M.A. Mowing
05-09-2010, 08:31 PM
I had a guy that bought my last trailer tell me he decks all his trailers with oak and then puts used deisel oil on them, he said it will never rot. But wouldn't oak be highly expensive?
Posted via Mobile Device

mnglocker
05-09-2010, 11:17 PM
I had a guy that bought my last trailer tell me he decks all his trailers with oak and then puts used deisel oil on them, he said it will never rot. But wouldn't oak be highly expensive?
Posted via Mobile Device

That and expensive. I don't think I'd use used motor oil either, however BLO (boiled linseed oil) cut with turpintine would be excellent. I've had far batter luck with that than thompson's wood sealer.

Gravel Rat
05-09-2010, 11:20 PM
You want a long lasting decking go with a hardwood a soft wood like pine will rot quickly. It is better to spend more money now than replace planks regulary.

Birdhunter1
05-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Oak could be expensive, but if you use rough sawn oak it would be roughly 1/2 the price of finished planed oak.

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 01:36 AM
I knew a guy who worked at a local mill, and he got me a huge truckload of read and white oak for FREE!!, but I had to saw it straight, it was rough sawn and pretty oddly shaped, but i got it all even, and it was great on the trailer, but likely added about 500lbs to the trailers weight!!! Try visiting a mill and talking to anyone, they will probably help you out.

cclllc
05-16-2010, 01:43 PM
You don't have to cut the metal.I replaced mine without doing so.Just remove all the old.Cut the new ones a tad shorter than the old ones.Insert one end of the new one in the trailer either front or back.Lay a block of wood about middle ways or further from the other end and bend the board down.Have someone knock the block out and the board pops in.Simple