PDA

View Full Version : Scag Freedom Z input.

A1Lawns
05-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Hey all. I'm looking to buy a new mower for my biz. Have had a walk behind Scag for almost 15 years and it's time for a new one. I figured I'd stick with a Scag and the one I can afford right now for about $6k is the Freedom Z.
Any input on this mower? How about the bagger attachment?
Any info would help. Thanks :cool2:

retrodog
05-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Its more of a homeowner machine, about the most its designed to mow is 5 acres per week to hold up, I would recommend looking at the full blown commercial machine i.e. dual parker pumps, and a heavier duty engine (don't look at the Tiger Cat though, go a step up). They are actually made to mow 5 or 6 days a week non stop without the issues you would have with the freedom. If $6000 is your budget, just get a slightly used Wildcat or Turf Tiger, or you could always look at the Bad Boy Pup. It is full commercial with big cooling fans on the parker pump hydros, 9 quart hydro tank, 23hp Vanguard, 30hp Kohler Command, or 31hp Kawasaki between $6000 and $7000 depending on what engine and deck option you get. Sorry to always throw BB as advertising, but in these types of situations you get a heck of a lot better mower for $6000 with them.

A1Lawns
05-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Its more of a homeowner machine, about the most its designed to mow is 5 acres per week to hold up, I would recommend looking at the full blown commercial machine i.e. dual parker pumps, and a heavier duty engine (don't look at the Tiger Cat though, go a step up). They are actually made to mow 5 or 6 days a week non stop without the issues you would have with the freedom. If $6000 is your budget, just get a slightly used Wildcat or Turf Tiger, or you could always look at the Bad Boy Pup. It is full commercial with big cooling fans on the parker pump hydros, 9 quart hydro tank, 23hp Vanguard, 30hp Kohler Command, or 31hp Kawasaki between $6000 and $7000 depending on what engine and deck option you get. Sorry to always throw BB as advertising, but in these types of situations you get a heck of a lot better mower for $6000 with them.

Good info retrodog. Thanks for the input. My budget is lower because I will be paying cash. No more loans right now for me.

MOHUSTLER
05-11-2010, 09:13 AM
The freydon Z is a good mower but not what scag built its rep on. It might be a good secondary mower but I would not make it my #1 primary commercial mower.

2001FZ1
05-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Hey all. I'm looking to buy a new mower for my biz. Have had a walk behind Scag for almost 15 years and it's time for a new one. I figured I'd stick with a Scag and the one I can afford right now for about $6k is the Freedom Z.
Any input on this mower? How about the bagger attachment?
Any info would help. Thanks :cool2:

I paid $6200 for left over '09 Scag Tiger Cub w/48" deck. Look for left overs in your area.

MeMowLawns
05-11-2010, 09:22 AM
I have one and love it..They are correct it isn't a full commercial mower but Ive beat on mine for 4 years and 300+ hours. and have absolutely NO problems. It's never thrown a belt, or broke anything and I am not easy on it. I cut mostly 2 week yards and rarely need to double cut..I've been very impressed with my little scag

Bluffman
05-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I won't dis another poster but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Tiger Cat. It is a true commercial mower in all respects. I am not saying it is the best mower for your situation or even it's price point. I will say that there are tons of them out there with many happy owners including myself. I'd buy another without hesitation. Not everyone needs a Turf Tiger with all the bells and whistles.

retrodog
05-11-2010, 07:55 PM
I won't dis another poster but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Tiger Cat. It is a true commercial mower in all respects. I am not saying it is the best mower for your situation or even it's price point. I will say that there are tons of them out there with many happy owners including myself. I'd buy another without hesitation. Not everyone needs a Turf Tiger with all the bells and whistles.

You like the fact there is no way to cool the fluid blowing through your 10cc pumps? After a few hours of mowing in the heat of day hydro fluid doesn't start coming out in weird places? Very strange design on their part, no way worth 8000 bones. I have never seen a commercial grade unit with no cooling system, thats just crazy :hammerhead:, sorry to veer off track here... Not a very big fan of that particular mower after getting my hands on a couple of trade ins. Just dissappointed me alot in Scag to see that, someone said they discontinued it, but not sure.

RTR Landscaping
05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I'll start this by saying I'm a Scag guy all the way. Currently we have Turf Tigers and Tiger Cats. The Tiger Cat is 100% commercial grade and holds up as well as any competitor. The Freedom Z is a hybrid brought out for the residential market. However, my Scag dealer has sold several for commercial use and says they hold up very well. Bluffman is correct in saying the Tiger Cat is a very popular mower for LCO's. I don't like Exmark's spindal housing, but I would never say it isn't a commercial machine. The point I'm trying to make is there's always going to be reasons not to like a certain brand, but to say the Tiger Cat isn't commercial is just not true.Scag uses Hydro Gear pumps and wheel motors. Let me guess, Bad Boy uses Parker? A1 Lawns, sorry to hijack your thread, but the Freedom Z will work fine for you.

djagusch
05-11-2010, 09:38 PM
You like the fact there is no way to cool the fluid blowing through your 10cc pumps? After a few hours of mowing in the heat of day hydro fluid doesn't start coming out in weird places? Very strange design on their part, no way worth 8000 bones. I have never seen a commercial grade unit with no cooling system, thats just crazy :hammerhead:, sorry to veer off track here... Not a very big fan of that particular mower after getting my hands on a couple of trade ins. Just dissappointed me alot in Scag to see that, someone said they discontinued it, but not sure.

First off the tiger cub/cat design has been around since 2001 with no major changes so challenging their design is BS. Some other mowers mentioned in the thread have not been out for have that time. I know at least 10 in my area from 2002-2004 models been running daily still without issues. Ask them the 6K they paid back then was worth it! They are built to last and the hydro design is fine.

On the discontinued part is BS also.

Back on subject.

If you have 6K in cash go to the dealers and see what they can move on price with cash. Most have a cost in the price to cover financing which with cash can be taken out. I would save an extra grand and get one around 7K if you can hold out.

MOHUSTLER
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Have been selling scag for many years now and to date have not changed one pump on a TC. And I have seen many commercial units with no cooling system. Infact I have changed out more pumps that have cooling systems on them. Due to the fact that most users let the cooling wafers get pluged with grass and pass dirt into the system, or powerwash the dirt into the filter screens also causing dirt to pass into they hydro system.

On a related to the topic note, me and my area rep comment on the freydom z that it has been out for 5 years now and scag has not had to put out one service bulliten on them. Not one! That speaks volumes on any mower on the market.

scagmanjosh
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Agree with all the positives of the Tiger Cat. It is 100% commercial grade. My Tiger Cub (leftover '08 model bought last May) is about to be a year old and I have had ZERO problems with it. The Velocity + design decks are still essentially the best you can get for most cutting conditions, the spindles are battleship anchors, and the frame is bullet proof.

I snagged mine for $6199 with a 48", and to me the extra $1200 over the Freedom Z was worth it for the Velocity, frame, spindles, big wheels, and overall build of the machine.

That said, for $4999, the Freedom is one of the best mowers you can get, save possibly for something full commercial Bad Boy might offer (their prices are competitive, for sure).