PDA

View Full Version : Cutting paver curves....

PAPS
07-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Any tips would be appreciated... the method we use works great... but sometimes i feel we can get a smoother curve....
1. We lay the pavers and let them exceed where the soldier course will go...
2. Then, we lay the soldier course on top of the pavers and move the soldiers to where we think they look good, then.
3. we mark the pavers underneath and zip the whole walk, patio etc. with the 12'' demo.

any other suggestions on how to get a better curvy soldier course??? thanks

Stonehenge
07-08-2002, 05:45 PM
If you're cutting a specific radius, mark the center of the radius, pull that paver, drive a stake in, and use a string to help mark out the radius, then buzz. If it's just a smooth curve, we use 1/2" PVC (very flexible), and set it in place atop the pavers where it looks good (held in place with a few pavers), mark it and cut it. If it's a long, smooth contour, I just connect several pieces of the PVC and do the same thing.

steveair
07-08-2002, 07:13 PM
hello,

I basically follow stonehenge's advice, but instead of using pvc, I always carry a piece of 10 ft paver edging (flexible) and use that to mark my curves, then use it on the edging.

For outside curves, cutting is no problem. For tighter inside radius, you sometimes can't get the saw to make a nice cut, so I usually lay the soldier row out first, then cut the pavers to fit in from the pattern.

steve

PAPS
07-08-2002, 08:39 PM
thanks guys... i figured we were all on the same page... but i guess for them tight radius turns, i simply have to mark each paver and lay the soldier ahead of time.... thanks again

Pelican
07-08-2002, 10:42 PM
I bought a marking tool from Probst Pave Tech last year that has sped up my cutting 3x. It rides on the pre-installed edging and you set the pencil to the width of your soldier paver, it marks all the bricks at once. Pricey, but a real time saver.

AGLA
07-13-2002, 10:32 PM
All of the above sound pretty good. The only thing I do that is different is to only mark where the edges of the brick meet your curve guide. Then use a quick straight cut rateher than trying to cut a radius that is not visible anyway.
It even works wellon larger stone. I am guessing on the file I am about to attach...I hope it is of a series of straight cuts that look like a curve.

AGLA
07-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Here you go...