PDA

View Full Version : BP blowers VS the wind...

MikeKle
05-10-2010, 12:41 AM
I was out mowing in very windy conditions the other day, and it sucked! it is pointless to try blowing off a property, when the wind comes along and blows it all back anyway! and why does the wind always seem to be coming in the opposite direction than you want it to come from? The worst is when you are mowing, and on one pass, it blows all the discharge all over you!! One customer laughed at me due to grass being everywhere, head to toe!! One thing I was thinking about and still cant quite understand, so please tell me if I am missing something...I bought the BR550 so I could have the second biggest stihl and so blowing would be quick and easy, well, the BR550 has a wind speed of around 198 or 200 I think, which is pretty fast for wind, but when you get a gust of wind, even if its low, like 15 or 20 mph gust, and you are blowing at the same time, how is it possible for the wind gust to "over power" the 198mph BP blower, and blow the grass clippings right back on the spot you are trying to clear?!!! I wouldve thought the big BP blower would push it thru that tiny gust of wind? Im really tired and not thinking too clear tonight, so maybe that is it? Doesnt it sound odd though? a light 20mph wind gust can out do a 198mph gust of wind????

Alan0354
05-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Your 198mph wind is very small concentrated stream of say 10" diameter when hitting the leaves. Once you throw the leaves up and away from your narrow stream, you don't have your blower keep blowing it, all the leaves "see" is the guss of 15mph wind and blow right back to your face. The nature has infinite of cfm ( 15mph over many square feet area !!! is a lot of cfm!!!.)

That is exactly why I question why different people have such a big difference of opinions of which blower is the strongest. Nobody talk about the wind condition. The blower feels a lot stronger if you have tail wind than if you have head wind even it is only about 2 to 3 mph. It is the volume away from the stream.

That is the reason people keep saying cfm is more important than mph. You can blow a lot better with 150mph and a 20" diameter stream than a 200mph 10" diameter. The bigger diameter blow the leaves longer before it move off the stream.

topsites
05-10-2010, 04:19 AM
I love windy days when it falls on mowing,
whole lot less to clean up after wards.

And yes it truly is about the cfm's, I found out the other day that holds true for air compressors and their tools as well,
although another way to say it is the width of the path.

Richard Martin
05-10-2010, 05:15 AM
They're right Mike. It's all about CFM. And a 15 to 20 MPH wind is pretty strong.

obxseaside
05-10-2010, 07:36 AM
15 to 20 mph winds are the average here. I guess that is why so many people travel here to go kite boarding and wind surfing.

Richard Martin
05-10-2010, 08:43 AM
15 to 20 mph winds are the average here. I guess that is why so many people travel here to go kite boarding and wind surfing.

Yeah but you guys don't have a whole lot in the way of leaves out there. I just looked Frisco up on the map. You are as out there as you can get. I've been through there many times. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Is that space ship still out there?

MikeKle
05-10-2010, 09:03 AM
I love windy days when it falls on mowing,
whole lot less to clean up after wards.

And yes it truly is about the cfm's, I found out the other day that holds true for air compressors and their tools as well,
although another way to say it is the width of the path.

I absolutely hate mowing on windy days, because I know the wind will not be blowing in the direction I need it to be, and I will likely get grass all over me!! Sure its great when you get that blast of air that helps you out and clears the whole driveway, but usually it is blowing it all back on the driveway! Id like to see a BP blower with a 12" dia tube, that would be a whole lot stronger than the ones we have now, but what kind of power would be needed to back this super tube up is another thing! Maybe it would be a 160cc with 5000cfm?!!

Cummins343
05-10-2010, 09:06 AM
I go with the wind.

MikeKle
05-10-2010, 09:15 AM
I am nothing but dust in the wind! lol. Everytime I try to blow thje clippings in the direction of the wind is blowing, it changes direction suddenly and I end up with grass all over the place! If it is too windy, it is almost as bad as trying to mow in the rain, but Im not about to tell any customers I can be there due to it being windy!!

ed2hess
05-10-2010, 09:48 PM
I also learned quickly that two big Stihl backpacks were not very good in the wind especially around big building. So......got the 13HP Billygoat and it puts it where it needs to go. Don't use that thing all the time outside during leave season but nice when you need it.

LwnmwrMan22
05-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Actually don't blow straight back into the wind. If you go as somewhat of an angle the wind will actually suck the grass back. It's like you create a bit of a vacuum. Much like the way water in a river acts when there's a large rock in the way.

obxseaside
05-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Yeah but you guys don't have a whole lot in the way of leaves out there. I just looked Frisco up on the map. You are as out there as you can get. I've been through there many times. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Is that space ship still out there? Yeah Ricard we are way out there, and i only have one account with a bunch of leaves unfortunately it is surrounded by oak tree's. Not very many nice lawns on a sandbar either, but i mow what i can when i am not at the firehouse. And yes the space ship is still here about a mile from my house.

ajslands
05-10-2010, 11:26 PM
I hate mowing in windy conditions! All he grass just goes all over you and gets in your eyes and just sux!
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
05-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I use Stihl face shield with ear muff. Works very well except under sunlight where the reflection of the wire shield is a bit blinding. YOu have to use it for blowing because all the sand, dirt and everything else. I use mask that look like those used in decontamination also to avoid breathing in the stuff.

MikeKle
05-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Do the walkbehind type blowers on wheels do a better job at "beating" the wind? Ive never used one, but from the comments about them, Im guessing they do? Why is it that the wind never clears the clippings for you? It blows in every direction but the direction you need it to???

dwost
05-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Living on Lake Erie we too have on average 15-20mph sustained winds. I've learned to cope with it but during the very windy days there is not much you can do. Couple things i do to help are first go with the wind when blowing. Yeah, you have to change directions sometimes but it actually makes it MUCH easier to clear off the surface. Secondly to minimize blowback while cutting I drop the powerchute into either a straight out or just slightly angled down position. This DRASTICALLY reduces blowback and makes it bearable when cutting across the wind. Again the same principal of concentrated CFM's apply. You are focusing the grass into a certain area and the wind then will disburse it. Hope this helps.