PDA

View Full Version : My Gravely is making me hate it...

HulkXD
05-10-2010, 01:28 AM
I've had a Gravely 160 since May 1, 2008. Since I've had it, the clutch went out, a wheel motor blew up, it's shredded 3 belts, the ignition switch botched, the seat bracket broke, one of the pulleys had to be replaced, and I am about to lose my mind. It's an hour and a half round trip to my dealership (which has always treated me very well) and I even put an atv winch on the mower because it sucks trying to push a 1100 lbs. mower up a trailer. My warranty ran out May 1 of this year, and 8 days later, another problem. The dealership said they'd get me right in but it's two more trips there and back. And they don't have a loaner right now. I'm at my wit's end!

topsites
05-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Not sure how long you've been in business but there exist a few rules to live by,
one of them is don't buy a Ztr until at least your 8th year.

Why would they make these crazy rules?

johnwon
05-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Is your's a 160I or 160XDZ or the 160Z? They are all different in a lot of ways except the deck. Is your's a 2008 model? The year made can make a big difference too due to the fact that they have made changes in order to keep the price down. I have been real happy with mine thus far. I will say, I only use it for my own yard though. From what I can remember, 2006 was the last year they made them with heavier duty components.

Sammy
05-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Not sure how long you've been in business but there exist a few rules to live by,
one of them is don't buy a Ztr until at least your 8th year.

Why would they make these crazy rules?

And who the made those rules ?

C4chris70
05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Pretty fed up with my Gravely as well! 2008 34" Prostance with 19 Kawi. First hour of use the hydro hose flies off, hydro fluid everywhere. Took it to the dealer to have it on record in case system got dirt it it. Turns out none of the hydro hoses were tightened. 50 hours, key broke on left hub destroying the hub. Dealer inspected the other hub and found that it was not torqued. Hour 90 hydro hose ruptured due to rubbing against handle on deck. Hour 163 hour meter goes out. Hour 193 pan gasket blows on Kawasaki (2 weeks out of warranty). Aside from all the problems and lack of quality control on the part of Gravely, the mower performs like a POS. Ruts really bad, burries itself to the deck in sandy Florida lawns, can't hold a hill to save its life etc. To top it all off, both dealers have gone out of business or stopped selling Gravely. Last Gravely for me!:dizzy:

HulkXD
05-11-2010, 02:16 AM
It's funny, but while it was in warranty, the dealership would fit me right in, and put me ahead of the residential guys, but now that I'm a week and a half out of warranty, they all the sudden take 3 days to fix a broken belt. I'm going to see about trading it in on a Bad Boy, Scag, or maybe a Grasshopper.

MOHUSTLER
05-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Look at a closer dealer to you. An hour and a half drive is a long ways for a belt. There are many good brands out there. And I have herd good things about gravley, but everone gets a bad egg now and then. Go demo some other mowes and talk to customers in the area who run them and ask them about other dealers. See what thier opinions are of them.

All_Toro_4ME
05-11-2010, 02:34 PM
It's funny, but while it was in warranty, the dealership would fit me right in, and put me ahead of the residential guys, but now that I'm a week and a half out of warranty, they all the sudden take 3 days to fix a broken belt. I'm going to see about trading it in on a Bad Boy, Scag, or maybe a Grasshopper.

3 days is pretty impressive. most of the dealers around here are 3-4 weeks turnaround. I try to avoid taking my stuff in at all costs unless I have to.

EvenCutLawnCare
05-11-2010, 04:07 PM
3400 hours combined on my 3 Gravelys with no major problems. Just filters, belts, and idler pulleys. Very pleased with the quality and cut so far.

HulkXD
05-12-2010, 12:10 AM
That's the closest dealer. That's round trip. (45 min each way.) Got it back today. The belt wrapped around the clutch wiring harness and jerked the wires out of the clutch. They had to put on a new clutch. Gravely did cover it under warranty repair, even though my warranty ran out two weeks ago. I have no problems with the dealership. They've been great, but how many times will it break? I'm seriously considering trading it in on one with a warranty.

MOHUSTLER
05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
If you do not feel comfortbale with any machine by all means you have every right to trade it. No matter what brand you run you need to feel good about what you purchase.

HulkXD
05-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Guys, I've been a member of this forum for two or three years now. I started working in the lawn business about 13 years ago, working for my uncle, then my neighbor. Then I started my own business. I don't do it full time, and I only mow about 10 yards (abt. 15 acres) per week. I've been offered some pretty good deals on mowers with mine being traded in, but most of the commercial mowers I'm looking at will put me owing the same money I owed when I started my business. I don't want the last two years to be for nothing. I'm looking right now at the Ferris IS500z. The price is right, but it has the briggs 26hp pro engine (without hd air cleaner.) I'm waiting on a call from the owner of the dealership I'm dealing with now to see if he wants to keep me as a customer. I've been very patient throughout this whole ordeal. I hope he can help me out.