PDA

View Full Version : Dixie users

Accident
05-10-2010, 03:28 AM
Im curious how many people here use dixie choppers?

i know im new to this line of work but im getting a weird sense of comradery from everybody on this site :/ Which is pretty nice

So far our fleet consists of a
50" Dc silver eagle
60" Dc classic ( out of commission atm)
and a 56" Dc x-caliber of which im practically falling in love with since i primarily used the silver eagle

Now im not knocking anybodies perferred brands or boasting about Dc's i'm merely commenting cause its basically the only zero turn mowers i have had the liberty to drive

Richard Martin
05-10-2010, 06:41 AM
I like mine. I've had 2. I started out with a 2000 XW2500 60" with a Kohler 25. I bought that one brand new. Then a great deal on a 2003 XT2800 60" with a Kohler 28 EFI came along. It had 29 hours on it and the guy only wanted $4500 for it. I snapped it up in a heartbeat. I've been happy with it ever since.

The mayor
05-10-2010, 07:39 AM
We have 2 a 2004 60" coatsville classis and a 2008 xcalibur 66" I like them both...my employees don't.

hdtvluvr
05-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I have a 2004 Classic with the Kohler that I bought new. It has about 185 hours (I'm a homeowner). I enjoy mowing with the DC.

mowerbrad
05-10-2010, 07:04 PM
I bought a Classic 3360hp in June 2009 and sold it about 8 months later. It wasn't so much the mower as much as the dealer I bought it from SUCKED, they left me "stranded" after they sold me the mower. I was pretty happy with the mower, just the dealer was very shady and unprofessional...I couldn't stand to work with a dealer like that.

dhardin53
05-11-2010, 11:35 AM
DC user for 7 years, bought it used. I've keep it up, no major issues I mowed 7 yards yesterday for a city contract on abandoned property (first mow this year) ad-verging 20" tall grass. Took a while had to mow it twice but looks good, I get a lot of onlookers just amazed how much i can cut in these extreme condition.

My next DC will be the 66" Extreme.

Im not overly brad loyal, I have used many other mowers of this size and price and just like the stright foward construction and easy to repair, not fancy but it "WORKS".

watatrp
06-11-2010, 08:40 AM
I've got Brad's 3360 Classic. So far it has been doing a wonderful job for me. I operated Scags for nearly 20 years. Anywhere from a 36" walk behind to 60" Turf Tiger. Scags are very tough machines. I have to give the edge to Dixie Chopper for quality of cut. I like the wide discharge opening. It seems that some of the things I hated about the Scag are not problems with the Dixie. One complaint-since it sits a little higher it seems the tree branches are lower.

protector
06-11-2010, 08:45 AM
I bought my first Dixie Chopper this last Winter and I love it. It saves me so much time and I don't know what I would do without it now. I was a die hard eXmark owner, but this dealer I go to showed me why Dixie Chopper was the way to go.

Don't get me wrong guys, not saying anything else sucks, but what I found with my Dixie Chopper is that although it is quicker, that isn't what it is really about, it is how well this thing is built, very strong and very very durable. The cut is about as well as any other mower I have used! I love everything about this machine and more. Once you go Dixie there is no going back!!!!

I promise!!!!

Mowingman
06-11-2010, 09:00 AM
I have had two D.C mowers and liked them both. Bought a 2560 new in 2000, then recently bought a used, 2002, 2360. both worked fine for me.
I owned a mower shop for 5 years. would have sold D.C. there, but did not care for the regional rep., so went another route.
I have not been a fan of the "Silver Eagle" series, but really like the "Classic" series.

mowerbrad
06-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I always think that dixies are great for cutting large areas quickly...don't get me wrong, you can use them on smaller properties too, but they really shine doing the large properties. That will be where you see how quickly they can knock out jobs.

I was always a little nervouse going up hills, but never sideways. The dixies have a very wide stance (at least on the classic I had), so sideways on a hill was never a problem. Since the classic I had was fairly short in length, it made me feel a little nervous on some hills going up and down, but I didn't do too many hills at the time so I never really got used to it.

I think my only complaint was about the trim side of the deck. For a 60" mowing deck, it had about the same trim side as my 52" bob-cat at the time (maybe just a little more). Not really a complaint since I was used to a 52" with almost no trimming ability, but more of an observation.

Though, the dixie can really handle large volumes of grass without much of a problem. There deck is set up to shoot out clippings far (like 15 feet far sometimes). Clumping wasn't too much of an issue, you would get some depending on the moisture on the grass.

They are really good mowers, I won't be buying one again as long as the same dealer I bought from last time is still around. But if I had a different dealer, then I would definately consider one again.

MOHUSTLER
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I have to give the edge to Dixie Chopper for quality of cut. .

Wow, this will be the first time on this site that someone has compared a dixie chopper cut to a scags. Thats quite the bold statement.

lawns Etc
06-11-2010, 02:58 PM
I have owned most ztr mower brands in my area on mainly tall fescue and kbg nothing cuts as good as a dixie. That being said on thin weedy lawns its not as great you will have some stragglers may have to double cut here and there but overall they are great mowers I really appreciate the Michigan seat now though.
Posted via Mobile Device

watatrp
06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Wow, this will be the first time on this site that someone has compared a dixie chopper cut to a scags. Thats quite the bold statement.

If you think about it, the only parts of the mower that touch the ground are the tires and the blades. I don't think the tires make much of a difference. I can certainly use the same blades on each mower. I really think the difference is the blade speed. I've used the Scag and now the Dixie Chopper on the same properties and there is a marked difference. The plus is that I get a better cut at a faster speed. The property that I use as my benchmark took me 2.5 hours to complete with the Scag (includes trimming). I can complete the same property in a little over 1.5 hours now and it looks a lot better and it has better looking stripes.

Apples
06-11-2010, 10:30 PM
watatrp, How deep is the deck on your DC?