PDA

View Full Version : 23 HP Kawasaki engine noise need help.

TheBigGW
05-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Hello and thanks in advance to all who input. I have a 52 inch wright stander with a 23 hp kaw. Over the last couple weeks I notice a sound getting worse now its loud. Here goes i will do my best to describe. When I am running the engine at an idle you dont hear anything wrong. Once you full throttle the engine you start to hear a clanking noise, that will continue until you put the engine back on a low idle. And as the engine windes down in rpms. It will take the noise about 3 to 4 seconds to calm down after you already lowered the rpms to lowest idle. Thanks again.

sjessen
05-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Does it sound like it is coming from the inside or the outside of the engine?

piston slapper
05-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Look at the grass screen on top of the flywheel. See if it has endplay or shakes side to side. Probably the top bushing in the motor is worn out. This will drop your oil pressure and cause engine parts to make noises.

If this is the case, the bushing is not replaceable, Kawasaki likes selling engines.

piston slapper
05-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Look at the grass screen on top of the flywheel. See if it has endplay or shakes side to side. Probably the top bushing in the motor is worn out. This will drop your oil pressure and cause engine parts to make noises.

If this is the case, the bushing is not replaceable, Kawasaki likes selling engines.

Penscape Landscaping
09-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeap mine just blew with same problem. So im in the market for a new engine. Is there a kohler exact replacement?

StihlMechanic
09-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Could be that the clutch needs an adjustment or about to fail. Does the deck engage and disengage instantly or does it lag when you pull the switch?

rwaters
09-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Yeap mine just blew with same problem. So im in the market for a new engine. Is there a kohler exact replacement?

that depends on a lot of factors but most exmarks did have a kohler option so most likely yes. PM me with your lawnmower model number and serial number and your engine information and I will send you all the information you need to get it replaced as well as prices on what I can get you if you want.

timberattler
09-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Careful on that kohler replacement - there's no bushing on the front jouranl of kohler horizontals, but there is on kawasakis.

mallio
09-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Was it leaking oil from the flywheel or the clutch end or both? I have always heard when they start to leak it is time to fix or wait till it blows. I have heyard you can buy block before it blows and crankshaft for about $500.00
But wait till it blows and buy a new engine. I have also heard you may need to change the wiring harness if you go to a different brand of engine.