PDA

View Full Version : Get a load of this

jhawk71
07-08-2002, 03:55 PM
One of my customers gives me a call today. She said that i was scalping in areas and wants me to use my 21. I said its because you dont water and makes brown spots in the yard. She doesnt believe me and thinks that my mower is making the grass turn brown. I know i am not scalping because the groung is perfectly level and my deck is set at the highest. I tried explaining that the 21 wont magically make the brown dead grass go away. They have a sprinkler system but wont turn it on. I have problems with this lady throughout the year like she wanted me to raise the deck when it was on the highest. I cut her every 2-3 weeks depending on how much rain we get. Thats the only way the grass grows. She just doesnt get it.
Should i dump her or wait and see what she does when i show her that the 21 wont take the dead grass that needs to be watered away. If i do mow it with the 21 i charge her $25 normally and that with my 36 how much more should i charge to do it with the 21?
Thanks
Jhawk71

scott's turf
07-08-2002, 04:25 PM
She thinks you are scalping with a 36"? I thought you were going to have 60" or something. How much longer will it take you with the 21"? How much more energy? Factor that in and try it if you really need the work.

FrankenScagMachines
07-08-2002, 04:28 PM
I don't know what to do about your situation, but how long does it take with the 36"? Figure out what your per hour $$ is with the 36", then figure how much longer it'll take with the 21" and charger her so that you're earning the same per hour with the 21" as with the 36", and maybe a bit more to compensate for the PITA factor :D

swonkeg
07-08-2002, 05:38 PM
Since you're only mowing once or twice a month and have had problems with this one before, I say it's time to let her go and you find something more profitable without all the hassles. I had one that told me she wanted me to use a 21" mower because my 36" wb was causing her sidewalk and drive to crack and shift but didn't want to pay more money. Result: I Fired Her! Now I have time for some upsells to existing customers that make me more $$.

jhawk71
07-08-2002, 07:35 PM
average with triming it takes me about 40-45 minutes with my 36 and about 1 hr and 20 minutes with my 21.

fastrunner
07-08-2002, 07:41 PM
if this lawn is taking you 40-45 minutes with trimming with a 36 inch walk behind you should be making at least $35-$45. When cutting grass, most of us like to get AT LEAST $60.00 to the hour. Am I right, or am I off?

dhicks
07-08-2002, 07:47 PM
I'd dump the account and let her find someone else to nag.

jhawk71
07-08-2002, 07:49 PM
On all my other customers i make good money 30-35 a yard that takes me about 30 minutes. So that is why i will be dumpng this lady at the end of the season probally. She is the only 1 that pay my rates. If i do do it with the 21 it will take me 30 minutes more how much should i charge?

Jhawk71

J. Davis
07-08-2002, 09:31 PM
I would look at the time spent on site. I would not get the small mower off the trailer for less than $35 and $45 or more on the big machines. (In your case - after taxes on this yards you have not made any money...wasted time):sleeping:

Tvov
07-08-2002, 10:15 PM
Double the price. If you don't want her as a customer anyway, hopefully she'll drop you, and if she doesn't the extra money may make the pain in the butt extra work more worth it.

jaredslawncare
07-08-2002, 11:28 PM
I agree with Tvov I would double and see how long she wants you to mow it with the 21", Eventually she'll get the idea its not the mower.:D

robert payer
07-08-2002, 11:51 PM
Did any one catch the above post where the client thought the little 36 inch lawn mower would crack and cause her pavement to shift. That put a real smile on my face! It cracks me up!She owns a car? Does she park it out on the street? Or does she ride a bike to the store to grocery shop? Do people believe these things or are they just grasping for excuses to see the push mower.
Well maybe some people just lack technical knowledge? O well, It was enjoyed.

Brickman
07-09-2002, 12:59 AM
Mr Payer some people are STUPID. Many times willingly so.

I say DUMP the PITA.

SLS
07-09-2002, 03:38 AM
I would have to tell her that I did not spend good money on a PROFESSIONAL mower (the 36") just to go back to pushing a little 21" around anymore.

If that was not good enough for her.......then it's "sayonara baby!"

dr grass
07-09-2002, 10:58 AM
Sidewalk and Driveway to shift?!?!?!?! LMFAO ! ! ! Id drop her like a sack of potatoes.

Shep:D :dizzy:

swonkeg
07-09-2002, 11:11 AM
Drive & Side Walk Cracked........
This caused great humor when I got home and told my wife about this. Even this lady's son-in-law & daughter tried to tell her it wasn't the mower. I called her that night and told her that due to conflicting opinions on what was best for her yard, I would no longer be able to maintain her yard. Yard has went 2 weeks with mowing now and has had 3-4 inches of rain-looks like a jungle.
Bottom Line: You have enough hassles running a business without letting
a low paying client COST YOU MONEY!

prairie
07-09-2002, 11:59 AM
You should at least be getting $35 an hr. Bigger machines say 48 and up around $50-65. I'm in Topeka and I can get these rates. So I know that the people in Johnson County can pay those. Hopefully that's where you are. I would at least charge $40 in KC your clients wont say a word. I have a friend that mowes in Johnson an the more he charges the more clients he has. He once upped his price by $15 in a year and out of 125 clients only 2 said anything and they stayed with him. Clients think that you get what you pay for. Your in a nice city to do so, so take advantage of your location, aslong as you not in Wyandotte.

LAWNS AND MOWER
07-09-2002, 01:59 PM
Dump her.

LAWNS AND MOWER

brucec32
07-12-2002, 02:32 AM
1.Drop the PITA.
2. Develop a professional pricing system, you're all over the place with yours. No wonder I get told I'm too high when I bid what I think is low and too low when I bid what I consider to be high. Mowing with a 21" will of course cost someone more than with a bigger mower. It takes longer.
3. Sometimes a bigger deck CAN hit a dip and drop down enough to cause a brown spot in dry weather. I used to mow lots of rutted, poorly installed sodded Bermuda and it always left little scalped looking spots with anything bigger than a 21", and even sometimes then. Tell your customer to have the lawn top dressed if that's the problem.

lawnworker
07-12-2002, 12:25 PM
The lady is nuts. A 36 " walk unit will not "shift concrete or asphalt" .Dump this psychopath before she causes you more trouble. Mowing a yard with a 21" when a 36" will do the job, is not going to happen here.

smburgess
07-12-2002, 12:58 PM
Explain to her your "new" rate to cut her yard and if she balks, you walk.

MikeLT1Z28
07-12-2002, 01:24 PM
i think you guys missed the post where he said he couldn't handle her any more. way to go. i bet in the amount of time you would spend on her you can find two nicer ones to cut more frequently and make better money.

Scag48
07-12-2002, 09:05 PM
Fastrunner-You'd be off on your prices if you lived here! I'd kill for $60 an hour! I get $20 an hour for 21". I actually only mow for about 30-40 minutes on a 1 hour job. So if you want to count MOWER time I make $40 an hour, but for everything else it's $20 an hour for everything. On my Toro 44" Groundmaster, I make $30-$35 an hour for trimming, etc. I guess that made sense. LOL.