PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Clutch From a 36" Scag

A&M Lawn Care
05-10-2010, 01:51 PM
I am trying to remove the clutch asm. from a 36" scag walk behind mower. When I turn the bolt that mount the clutch asm the pulley turns with it. How do I keep the pulley and belt from turning so that I can remove the bolt?

txgrassguy
05-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Use a high torque air impact wrench.

If you are able to tip the machine on it's side then a hand held hammer powered impact wrench just may be enough to loosen the bolt.

Sometimes you may have access to the crankshaft between the bottom of the motor and above the pulley/clutch assembly. If so grab the shaft with either a really big pair of channel lock pliers of with a locking pair of pliers to prevent unwanted movement.

A&M Lawn Care
05-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Use a high torque air impact wrench.

If you are able to tip the machine on it's side then a hand held hammer powered impact wrench just may be enough to loosen the bolt.

Sometimes you may have access to the crankshaft between the bottom of the motor and above the pulley/clutch assembly. If so grab the shaft with either a really big pair of channel lock pliers of with a locking pair of pliers to prevent unwanted movement.

Thanks for your help......

theheisk
05-10-2010, 03:22 PM
And if the Clutch slides off the crank easily when you get the bolt out....then consider yourself lucky! The ones I have taken off are always rusted to the shaft and I end up destroying the clucth. :)

ed2hess
05-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Or take the top covers/recoil off so you can get to it on the top and put a wrench on it. I am not a big air gun guy but taking the clutch off convinced me I need one. Even a cheap one will do the trick.