PDA

View Full Version : Project Collaboration

Chris J
05-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Hello all. I'm working on a project that is very simple, yet somewhat challenging. I have an idea of what I want to do, but before I submit my ideas I thought I would brain-storm with some of you who may have some better ideas. As you can see by the following pics, there is not a lot that can be done with this, and there are no near-by trees for any down lighting. The objective is to tastefully illuminate the dock area, and provide some type of lighting for the bulkhead walkways. I'm looking for some different design ideas and fixture choices.
A few things to note:
1. They are not to happy with the pointed caps on the pillars, so these could be removed if there is an appropriate surface mounted light for the tops of these posts
2. The bulk head walkways are not "very" important, but I would like to try to illuminate them somehow (looking for some options here, not to keen about standard area lights in the grass). Maybe a surface mount that shines horizontally, but not a lot of room to work with because of the narrow walk way. Don't want to create a trip hazard.
Any ideas you guys can throw at me would be very helpful and appreciated. This lady has been a good customer for quite some time, and I would like this simple project to turn out as good as it possibly can.
Looking forward to hearing your ideas. Thank you!!

worx
05-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Hey Chris Beachside Lighting has some nice post top lighting if you are thinking of removing those black caps. They are a bit pricey though. Good to hear from you again.

ccfree
05-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Hey Chris Beachside Lighting has some nice post top lighting if you are thinking of removing those black caps. They are a bit pricey though. Good to hear from you again.

Hey Chris,

You could check out a Hadco beacon style light. Would possibly be a trip hazard though, but would look nice. Also thinking out of the box, how about a paver style light. I know it is not meant for the application, but it would work and be different. Just some thoughts.

emby
05-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Not too sure what the budget is for this difficult task but Hunza has some very nice discrete deck mount fixtures that would illuminate all of the wood area. If I were to be mounting lights onto the wooden posts I would be going for a down light such as a Unique Probe OSM mounted on the side of the post or again Hunza has some of the best too.
Here is the link http://www.hunza.co.nz/product-index/pl.html

Cast also has a small stemmed path light that you could mount on top of the post but not too sure if thats the type of light they would want. You could also take a couple of the Unique Tiki torch lights and cross them right behind those chairs so that they could light the torches while they are sitting in their chairs. The flickering of the flame would add some great ambiance.

Installing something like the Hunza would illuminate the walkway with a very dramatic look as the light will cascade along the deck boards. See the light but not the source.
Just a few ideas from a cold Canadian. :)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Hunza has a new flush mounted PL fixture that I designed for them. Only problem is the fixture price ended up being atrocious. Not sure they show it on the website yet. I have a prototype here but the way Lawnsite has been treating me lately I dare not show it or one of the Sponsors might just get ticked off and have this thread removed.

Grrrrrr.

You might also want to consider using the brass INTEGRAliter for the top of those posts. It will not create glare like the hadco or vista beacon style fixtures and has a nice small footprint. As far as I know it is still the only dark sky friendly dock light on the market. http://www.nightscaping.com/integraliter.php

As for the bulkhead walks; is the crack between boards evenly space along the length of the walk? is there any space between grade and the boards? are the boards easily removed? If so you might want to consider doing a linear wash of light (very subtle) from under neath. The light would then glow at each crack between the boards.

If not that, then consider mounting brass NS turtle fixtures (on stems) along the leading edge of the walk. This would not pose a trip hazzard as the fixtures would actually be in the grass, but they would softly wash the boards. Spaced every 8 to 10 feet they would look kind of cool, esp with a G4 BiPin LED lamp inside! http://www.nightscaping.com/turtle.php

Chris J
05-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the input so far guys. I'm gonna take a look at some of these suggestions. Keep em coming if you have any more ideas.