PDA

View Full Version : Zoysia Palisades and heavy shade

YoungMemphisNewbs
05-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Last year, we had sod put down in our front yard. Zoysia palisades to be exact. At the time, the front yard was getting decent sunlight (though not great). In March, we had a privacy fence built to block out some of the traffic noise and our neighbor's unkept yard. But the fence has greatly reduced the amount of sunlight our yard gets.

Any thoughts? Can zoysia palisades survive in the shade like that?

Thanks!

johnsonslawnmanagement
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
you need at leat 10% sunlight for any shade tolerant grass to survive. Palisades Zoysia should do well in heavily shaded areas. I would be more concerned with the [U]Palisades Zoysia getting a fungus. You should do treatements (2) times a year as a prevenative measure.

YoungMemphisNewbs
05-16-2010, 10:55 AM
What type of fungicide would you recommend? Yesterday (Sat. May 15) we used fertilizer on the lawn for the first time this season. We used a 20-20-20 soluble fertilizer from Southern Ag at a rate of 4 oz. of powder fertilizer mixed in with 2.5 gal of water. The fertilizer was supposed to have a dye in it, but it did not show up at the ratio we mixed it. We applied it to the front lawn only, but last night it rained. Will this wash out the fertilizer?

Thanks for all the help!

kemco
05-24-2010, 01:53 AM
Im also in Memphis. I put $1000 of palisade in my back yard middle of last year, looked great for the first week then gradually died out. I know that palisade will generally look better and come in fuller the following year (if you have enough sunlight). I have a heavily shaded back yard and knew going in that I was pushing the limit on the 4 hours of filtered sunlight needed for palisade. Well, I lost the battle. Only about 10 percent of the sod survived and it only survived in the few areas I get a decent amount of afternoon sun. As much as I didnt want fescue I was forced to seed it with a big box mix of heavy shade fescue, tall fescue and a rebel brand mix that includes a "self-repairing" tall fescue. The fescue is doind well. I'll probably have a decent backyard in about a year as long as I overseed in spring and fall.

I guess as long as you have a good 4hrs of sunlight sometime during the day your palisade should be fine. But from experience if you dont get that much it probably wont survive.

Think Green
05-24-2010, 11:33 PM
I think we all fail to realize that the world is full of allelopathic life strategies.
Why should trees and grass strive to survive in unity. Trees are meant to be left alone and grasses are antagonistic in their realm. I am not being a tree hugger, but only saying that I haven't seen a grass yet that will survive with minimal sunlight...........no matter what the grower says. Palisades Zoysia is grown locally for commercial production and landscapes and it is funny that it is grown in the open sun and not in the shade. Tells me something!!!