PDA

View Full Version : Good 21" mulcher

fredmullegun
05-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Looking to exclusively mulch. Needs to have a powerful engine to pull it off but the most important thing is good suction for mulching.

Push is OK if the mower is light. Would prefer decent price, does not have to be extra heavy duty or commercial. No need for bag either.

Mark
05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
:) Ive always had good luck with the 21" Toro's, one of the best mulchers out there....all mine are commerical, Ive heard the personal pace is ok, but never used the homeowner model...mine are all still 2cycle still going strong. Mark's Mowing Service

fredmullegun
05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Can you post a picture of the deck or a link to a currently available mower that uses the same or similar deck?

rcslawncare
05-10-2010, 07:00 PM
I have the sens-a-speed Toro, and it is great. I bag some with it and mulch some too. I have been very pleased with the results. The mower is very quiet to. 190cc I believe.

BigGreen1
05-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Toro's Super Recycler with 3 speed transmission does a great job. My boss has regular Recycler Personal Pace and is less than impressed. Super has an aluminum deck.

Tim

macgyver_GA
05-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Every toro I have ever used mulches very well. Don't waste your time with the personal pace ones. I have used one and hated it, I like the FWD with the large rear wheel MUCH MUCH better.

My dad has a Honda he's had for a long time and it mulches really well on his St. Augustine lawn which can get pretty thick in the summer months.

fredmullegun
05-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Every toro I have ever used mulches very well. Don't waste your time with the personal pace ones. I have used one and hated it, I like the FWD with the large rear wheel MUCH MUCH better.

My dad has a Honda he's had for a long time and it mulches really well on his St. Augustine lawn which can get pretty thick in the summer months.

Yeah that is all i mow and it is rough to mulch.

macgyver_GA
05-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Yeah that is all i mow and it is rough to mulch.

I was impressed on how well it mulched the St. Augustine. I mowed it once while I was down in FL visiting them. He originally got it back when they lived in GA and it mulched our fescue lawn really well. Go figure he bought the nice Honda after I moved out. I slaved during my teenage years mowing our 3/4 acre lawn with a snapper push mower.

One of my clients has a toro recycler and I have been thinking about buying it from her since she obviously doesn't use it now that i'm mowing the lawn. That toro mulches Bermuda very well.

ShooterK2
05-10-2010, 10:00 PM
I can't give a comparison on any other brands, but I have a Honda HRX217VKA (bought at Home Depot for $599), and it bags great and mulches great. Plastic deck, so it's not too heavy. 190 cc engine, and the Honda's have a reputation for lasting a long time. I have the model with the thumb drive, and I love it. You can adjust it to 5 different places, so you can actually use the palm of your hand for the drive. Keeps your thumb from getting fatigued.

There's a member of this forum named Roger who did an excellent review of the Honda HRX mower last season. You might want to look that up and read some before making your decision.

Like I said, I can't compare to any other brands, but I couldn't be happier with my Honda.

tstutz
05-10-2010, 10:54 PM
I like the Lawnboy 21" series. I HATE the sense a speed or personal pace type mowers. Just get the regular self propelled style with the bar on the bottom to sqeeze to move. I guess it goes by the saying you get what you pay for. My lawnboy will start the first pull without priming it even after sitting all winter. I do think the honda engines are the best small engines out there. They have a great rep.

timberbrook
05-11-2010, 12:03 AM
I have a Toro pt21 push. It has the standard super recycler aluminium deck but with a Kawasaki fj180v engine, steel ball bearing commercial wheels, and one piece handle. Weighs 83 lbs. It is by far the best 21" mulcher I have ever used with that deck/engine combo. Grass just disappears.

fredmullegun
05-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Yeah I know about that mower. You can't buy it anymore though.

timberbrook
05-11-2010, 10:06 AM
If you look hard you may find a few. I found a dealer that still had a dozen early this year. I am still considering buying one and moth storing it until I need it down the road. PM me with your location, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

fredmullegun
05-11-2010, 10:29 AM
In Houston.

BigGreen1
05-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Super Recyclers are on Craigslist all the time. I bought mine for $75. There is another on there now for $75. Great 21".

Tim

fredmullegun
05-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Do all super recyclers have the same deck? All the ones I see have a B&S engine which I am really unwilling to pay 500+ for.