PDA

View Full Version : Blade Reccomendation

STIHL GUY
05-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I have been running mamba high lift mulching blades from jthomas. they are just like gators but wider and they have more lift. It seems that everytime i mow i have to go over the lawn with a leafblower to get rid of clumps. It happens on lawns that are being cut every week and i was wondering if anyone has reccomendations on what blades i should be using. I am also discharging all my lawns with my 14 HP 48'' bobcat mower. Thanks

ajslands
05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
maybe your cutting too low and your blades are fine. or since its spring, you would expect this because the grass grows faster. or maybe you should sharpen your blades.

just a few maybe's,

mowerbrad
05-10-2010, 09:33 PM
I'd try standard high lifts. The gator types typically have less discharge velocity and are known to clump. The gator type are great for bagging though.

With the standard high lifts, you will get greater discharge velocity and will see more even clipping dispersal. Depending on the growth that you are cutting, you could still see some clumps.

STIHL GUY
05-10-2010, 10:35 PM
maybe your cutting too low and your blades are fine. or since its spring, you would expect this because the grass grows faster. or maybe you should sharpen your blades.

just a few maybe's,

even when im cutting with the deck all the way up this happens and i sharpen my blades every week

tstutz
05-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I think the answer is to double cut and i saw on another thread this is something you hate. LOL! sorry but sometimes you just have to do it, like it or not. If quality is what your after and im sure it is then this might be what your forced to do.

Lehighlawnpros
05-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Also,
Consider upgrading to a more powerful mower in the future.

Back 16 1/2 years ago when I started out with a 14 or 16 HP
Briggs and Stratton air cooled engine and 48" side discharge
deck I had nothing but trouble with clippings and clumps
during the growing season, always double cutting.

A year or so later I began using a 21 HP liquid-cooled Kubota
gas engine and 60" side discharge and it was a huge improvement.

Now using a 22 HP liquid-cooled Kubota diesel and 52" mulching deck which is even better.
The clippings simply disappear and we never need to double cut.
The only time we have clumps is if we are mowing in the rain and/or extremely weedy turf.

We're probably mowing different types of grass than you, but I still
think that increased power/torque would make a big difference for you,
maybe try a demo machine and see for yourself in your normal mowing conditions.

I've always used high lifts for discharging, and normal medium lifts for mulching with good results.

In my opinion, mulching rules, both for safety and for not throwing clippings into the beds,
but you do need sufficient power/torque to make the clippings disappear.

Hoss27
05-11-2010, 08:08 PM
I would try a regular set of high lifts, then if you still have trouble try and demo a more powerful machine.

TLS
05-11-2010, 08:24 PM
As others have said....ditch the mulching blades and get a set of REGULAR high lift blades.

Your cut, suction, and discharge will improve dramatically.

Toothed mulching blades are good for fall leaf clean-ups only.

Frue
05-11-2010, 08:28 PM
These gators, mulchers, aligator, crocodile, mumba, scumba, cobra we can mulch anything are all JUNK. Standard high lift blades only. When its leaf season then you can throw them on.

STIHL GUY
05-11-2010, 11:04 PM
alright thanks guys. im going to be switching over to regular high lifts within a week or so

lawns Etc
05-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Within a week or so the excess top growth will slow down and it won't matter what blades you use. Until then just double cut if needed
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
05-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Get them TODAY!

Sharpen and balance them TODAY!

Install them TODAY!

And get a MUCH better cut TODAY!

What ARE you waiting for?