PDA

View Full Version : Open Trailer Questions

Garrett'sGrassGrooming
05-10-2010, 08:13 PM
I am new to the site and was wondering how guys are keeping their mowers in place in an open trailer. I just purchased a new 6'x12' trailer and was wondering the easiest way to keep two 21" mowers in place and also a 44" walk behind? Also, opinions on buying trimmer racks or making them? Thanks

ajslands
05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
i used tie downs at first, but then when i got my lazer z, i got the lock and just locked it in place. but now i have an enelcosed and i herculined it so it dosent slide at all, and usually its packed tight in there.

seabee24
05-11-2010, 07:15 PM
screw down 2x4 eaxclt where you want the mower to sit., yeah leaglly you need to tie yoru equiptment down, but when you drive 2 blocks to the next job,its over kill and a waste of time

screw down 2x4 in front of and behind the rear tires on all machines. between that and the parking brake they dont move

ewilly
05-11-2010, 08:29 PM
FastStraps for the walkbehind.

As for the 21" mowers - I have not found a really good way to keep those from moving around. I have seen metal "boots" that are supposed to hold the mower in place, but have no experience with them. I personally use some ETrack screwed into the deck on either side of my mowers, a few of the ETrack rings, and place them side by side - threading the strap through the middle ring, and over the decks of the trim mowers to the other rings.

Takes a few seconds to throw the strap over the mowers and lock it down, and then putting the straps over the tires and locking down. Keeps you legal for DOT though, as I'd hate to be fined for unsecured loads myself. ;)

knox gsl
07-17-2010, 12:30 AM
parking brake on the walk behind. I use a bungie on my 21" from the handle to the side of the trailer stretched over the engine. When the bungie gets old and I make right hand turns the mower will roll to the middle of the trailer but will go back to the side.

rob7233
07-17-2010, 03:05 PM
FastStraps by Green Touch Industries. They are the same guys that make the Extreme Trimmer Racks.... Go to traileracks.com and search. You'll find them. Fast, easy and legal while they protect yourself against liability, your equipment and others against harm in an accident. Most accidents occur within six miles of your home. I think FastStraps are about $30.00 for a set.

rcpeoples
07-18-2010, 02:19 PM
I use Jungle Jims small jungle boots for my 21's and motorcycle cam buckle tie downs on my 36" along with the parking brake.

rcslawncare
07-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Bungee on the 21. Set the parking brake on the mower and use straps if going more than two blocks or faster than 30 mph...

360ci
07-20-2010, 09:34 AM
I'd bolt down a wooden block behind my 21" mowers for larger equipment. For my 21's I just bungee them at the front. My trailer has removable sides and back 2' high all around, plus 2.5' high in the front (non removable). It's truly a 'utility' trailer! I can haul mowers, mulch, top soils, brush, junk, plywood, etc.

MSS Mow
07-26-2010, 08:46 PM
http://www.cargogear.com/accessories.aspx?partnum=CBG3

a great permanent strap to attach to a trailer. Good for larger items, such as Z tracks etc. Just bolt the strap to the trailer, then just pull the strap out when needed and ratchet it down. When done, hit the release and it retracts right back into place.