PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Protection

tstutz
05-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Ok so what does everyone use when they are mowing so at the end of the day you can understand what people are saying without making them yell?

I like to listen to my ipod while mowing my large commercials and trimming and blowing. This forces me to turn the volume up to the max just to hear the music.

Does anyone else listen to some tunes while laying down the stripes?

irishcreek95
05-10-2010, 11:16 PM
I use ear muffs and ear buds under them, seems to work pretty well. You do need a high quality set. I know a guy that uses the expensive Bose ones, but $200 is a little much for me.

blakerugg
05-10-2010, 11:19 PM
you could try the work tunes, but i dont have any personal experience with them. whenever i listen to my ipod i just put the earphones in then put the muffs over em

Cummins343
05-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Dr. Dre noise canceling headphones. $300 a pop.

tstutz
05-10-2010, 11:34 PM
WOW $300...i would rather listen to mother nature then drop that so i can have some tunes playing. I have done the ear muffs with the ear buds under them and that works pretty good. I have seen the bose noise cancelling on ebay for $150. I already have poor hearing from operating farm machinery for years without any protection and i dont want it any worse because im only 16.

ashgrove landscaping
05-11-2010, 12:31 AM
peltor work tunes all the way. they re tough, light, low profile and work all the time. Get some hearing protection now. You are crazy risking your hearing for anything. Plus they protect the side of your head when trimming.

topsites
05-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Nothing, I sit in the truck operating my mower with the remote. :D

weeble67
05-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Work tunes.... I found a great deal on ebay. They have a line in for my ipod. Works great.

Merkava_4
05-11-2010, 03:32 AM
I like to listen to my ipod while mowing my large commercials and trimming and blowing. This forces me to turn the volume up to the max just to hear the music.

**cringes** Get you some hearing protection muffs that let you plug the
iPod into. You're gonna blow out your hearing doing what you've been doing.

Accident
05-11-2010, 03:54 AM
Honestly we have two sets of the noise canceling ear muffs with digital radio
But i have a 60g ipod with 8k songs for a reason
Its what i perfer to listen to.....if i go deaf i want it to be cause im listening to one of my favorite bands not some random radio station

Merkava_4
05-11-2010, 04:40 AM
Myself, I enjoy listening the sound of the small engines ... I wear Howard Leight Quiet ear plugs. :)

TKLAWN
05-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Safety tunes for sure. They make time go so much faster. If you watch they go on sale at Northen tool every so often for like $50.00.

cgaengineer
05-11-2010, 08:12 AM
I just wear noise canceling ear buds and carry around my ipod. I would love to find a set of bluetooth noise canceling ear buds so that I can listen to the songs on my Blackberry via wireless bluetooth...

Hearing protection is very important, I should know, Satuday night I fired 14 rounds out of my Glock 19 like I have done many times, but this time without hearing protection. My left ear is still tinny sounding and has a slight ring (sounds like a busted speaker), its much better than it was...but I am concerned I have done irreversible damage to my left ear. Its funny how the older you get the more sensitive to sound you get. Except in this case I always use hearing protection when shooting but this was one of those time and places where the opportunity came up to shoot a basketball that was in a log jam in a river.

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
05-11-2010, 08:39 AM
" Impact Sport " got them to replace my work tunes I kinda ran over after leaving them on tongue box and started driving away. These new ones have an mp3 port for my ipod and no antenna.

alanauer
05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm sure you know that noise damages hearing, and that the hearing comes back after a while. It may seem like this recovery is 100% but it isn't -- a small amount of the damage is permanent. As in for the rest of your life. If the sound is loud enough to interfere with conversing, it's loud enough for hearing protection.

bradsd
05-11-2010, 11:21 AM
I wear the yellow foam plugs, then I sing. Maybe thats why I am not getting any new yards this year.:confused:

MOW ED
05-11-2010, 02:33 PM
I just set my work tunes on the back of the trailer when a customer cam out to talk to me after I was done aerating. Needless to say I lost a 50 dollar pair of work tunes. I replaced them with a knock off at 20 bucks. It has a dial tuner and no i pod attatchment but works just as well as the work tunes did for me. Prior to that it was corded plugs with a cheap am/fm headset over that turned up so I could hear it. I have had hearing tests within the last 3 years and have perfect (20/20:laugh:) hearing.

CTmower
05-11-2010, 03:42 PM
+1 for Peltor Worktunes.. I use to wear nothing at all and then decided to invest in a pair. At first I turned them all the way up and was like theres no way Im gonna hear this with the mower running but once you put them on your ears they totally block out most of the outside sound and I can hear the music crystal clear!!! And the best part is at the end of the day I can hold a conversation and hear what the people are saying to me!!!!

WHIPPLE5.7
05-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Damn fancy stuff here. When I run out of foam plugs I just ball up a small chunk of paper towel and plug my ears. Not perfect but still pretty effective, much better than nothing at all.

BigGreen1
05-11-2010, 04:25 PM
TStutz,

Peltor 105's and skullcandy ink'd ear buds. The Peltor is a high grade ear muff and ink'd buds are $15 and great bass.

http://www.coleparmer.ca/Catalog/product_index.asp?cls=7532
http://www.boss-safety.com/shop/peltor-h10b-earmuff-behindthehead-p-3127.html

Tim

M.A.Landscaping
05-11-2010, 05:54 PM
i listen to my ipod sometimes but like you said you have to have the volume all the way up, but i have some stihl muffs that i use regularly

cbegap
05-11-2010, 09:32 PM
I second the Howard Leight Quiet plugs. I don't listen to music because I don't pay attention as well and can't hear the machine. I like to know if I hit something etc.

tstutz
05-11-2010, 11:52 PM
thanks for all the suggestions i may look into buying some before the weekend.

doublesharp
05-12-2010, 12:26 AM
I use earbuds and a CC Crane digital pocket radio with a set of shooter muffs over the buds. I like this better than the worktunes.

mhaley927
05-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I use ear muffs and ear buds under them, seems to work pretty well. You do need a high quality set. I know a guy that uses the expensive Bose ones, but $200 is a little much for me.

I got the Bose muffs from credit card rewards... Nothing better to mow with, and great for music in general. Try Ebay, last I remember they were way under $200, but that was when a doller in the US was worth more in Canada.

Brashnak
05-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Shure E550's hooked up to my ipod. Blocks out ambient noise, triple drivers for the highest quality sound :) only $550... but then again I'm also a musician that uses them for gigs too, so I guess they kind of pay for themselves. Highly recommend Shure over any of that Bose, Dr Dre, etc bullcrap.

oh and if you get the E550's, the PTH (push to hear) system thats included lets you push an inline button to activate a small mic so you can hear outside sound without having to take your earbuds out.

johnwon
05-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I just wear noise canceling ear buds and carry around my ipod. I would love to find a set of bluetooth noise canceling ear buds so that I can listen to the songs on my Blackberry via wireless bluetooth...

Hearing protection is very important, I should know, Satuday night I fired 14 rounds out of my Glock 19 like I have done many times, but this time without hearing protection. My left ear is still tinny sounding and has a slight ring (sounds like a busted speaker), its much better than it was...but I am concerned I have done irreversible damage to my left ear. Its funny how the older you get the more sensitive to sound you get. Except in this case I always use hearing protection when shooting but this was one of those time and places where the opportunity came up to shoot a basketball that was in a log jam in a river.
That just strikes me as funny "but this was one of those time and places where the opportunity came up to shoot a basketball that was in a log jam in a river" I thought that maybe I would have got over it after reading it 2 or 3 times, but no, I read it again and still laugh about it.

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:32 PM
That just strikes me as funny "but this was one of those time and places where the opportunity came up to shoot a basketball that was in a log jam in a river" I thought that maybe I would have got over it after reading it 2 or 3 times, but no, I read it again and still laugh about it.

You are laughing, but my left ear is still tinny sounding like a blown speaker! We have 360 acres up the road we ride on that has access to the river. Since the river backs up to many peoples homes there is all kinds of crap in it to shoot. On Fri and Sat night we go to a sandy place on the river and build a fire ans shoot the shat. Its nice being a mile off any roads in the middle of nowhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Oh, and since I never go anywhere without my trusty G19 I have it to shoot when the need arises.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
05-12-2010, 11:57 PM
SkullCandy Smokin' Buds worked great for me..they seal in the ear canal to keep noise out.

Only thing is..you HAVE to clean them, and they WILL get gross.

STIHL GUY
05-13-2010, 12:51 AM
i use AOsafety worktunes

cgaengineer
05-13-2010, 07:08 AM
I use the cheapest noise canceling headphones I can find...sweat kills them in a few months.
Posted via Mobile Device

twcw5804
05-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Motorola S9 HD on ebay for about $25. At best buy $100

twcw5804
05-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I currently run my Motorola Droid phone with earbuds that came with my last Blackberry and then wear the $25 pair of Stihl ear protection over them. Then I can here if I got a call or txt and reply on way to next job. Once I did talk to my father in lawn with them on since it had a built in microphone. I had to make sure not to yell.

NkyLawncare
05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Get you a pair of Work Tunes. They are absolutely awesome! You will thank me later. But they are a radio and you can hook your Ipod to them as well. The kicker is that you won't hear your mower running and they won't allow the music volume to go too high to damage your hearing.

twcw5804
05-13-2010, 02:07 PM
How long do the batteries last on Work Tunes. Obviously you would want rechargables, but it would make it through a whole days right?