PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmower Pitch Question

jweiner
05-10-2010, 10:49 PM
I live in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area where most lawns are Bluegrass and I own a Quick 36" Dually. I have heard a bit about "pitching" the cutting deck such that the front is about 1/2" lower than the back. Will this make any significant difference in the cut? I already use a striping roller and have set the deck to cut at 2 1/2" inches (front and back). Although I hear about "pitch" as an option, I can't figure out the advantages and disadvantages of "pitching" a mower.

CowboysLawnCare
05-11-2010, 12:47 AM
I don't know that much about the "pitch" of the deck, but I think to have a correct pitch, the deck needs to be a little lower in the back than in the front.

Richard Martin
05-11-2010, 04:37 AM
You have it backwards there Cowboy.

If your deck is level and you aren't having some sort of issue with the cut then leave it alone. You should only adjust the pitch of you're haing an issue like the deck is leaving a funny pattern in the grass or if it is missing grass. Deck pitch is merely a tuning action.

dwost
05-11-2010, 08:09 AM
You have it backwards there Cowboy.

If your deck is level and you aren't having some sort of issue with the cut then leave it alone. You should only adjust the pitch of you're haing an issue like the deck is leaving a funny pattern in the grass or if it is missing grass. Deck pitch is merely a tuning action.

Exactly.......and 1/2" may be a bit much. Usually 1/8-1/4" will suffice.

alanauer
05-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Logic says the deck should be as level front-to-back as side-to-side. But here the logic is wrong.

With slight front-down pitch the mower cuts -- even touches -- each blade of grass just once (unless you're travelling in reverse). A rear-down pitch would cause a smidge more fuel-use and blade-wear. The faster you travel and the higher the blade-lift design the greater the effect.

dlh2
05-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Here is John Deere's explanation as to why a mower deck should be lower in front. This was scanned from a JD owner's manual. If the blade is level or slants to the rear, the blunt section of the blade is beating the grass.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/dlh2dlh2/Scan10113.jpg

jweiner
05-11-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't get how the unsharpened part of the blade will cut the grass when the blade is spinning in the proper direction??? Also, isn't it better to cut all of the grass all of the time when mulching? Perhaps pitch is good for bagging, but an even deck is better for mulching (which is what I do).

ucfbrian
05-12-2010, 03:43 PM
I believe what the JD manual is meaning is that the center of the blade where the cutting edge stops on that side. That part of the manual was probably written before you had blades that had cutting edges all the way to the center of the blade.

Deck pitch is very important to be able to get the most amount of productivity out of your mower. A deck should be level from side to side and the front should be slightly lower than the back. You dont like to cut a yard twice so why should you be making your mower do it. With it set this way when you are mowing, you are not mowing the grass twice. The blade cuts the grass in the front side of the deck once and as it sweeps around to the back of the deck it picks up the stragglers and helps to discharge the grass out or helps to mulch it up.

jweiner
05-12-2010, 05:03 PM
But then would a flat deck be better for mulching?

puppypaws
05-12-2010, 08:56 PM
I live in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area where most lawns are Bluegrass and I own a Quick 36" Dually. I have heard a bit about "pitching" the cutting deck such that the front is about 1/2" lower than the back. Will this make any significant difference in the cut? I already use a striping roller and have set the deck to cut at 2 1/2" inches (front and back). Although I hear about "pitch" as an option, I can't figure out the advantages and disadvantages of "pitching" a mower.

Level side to side, 1/8" to 1/4" lower in the front than the back!