PDA

View Full Version : Grass & Ivy....Ideas?

RV_Landscaping
07-08-2002, 07:01 PM
Got an interesting dilema here.... This guy who I've done some 'single' lawn cuts for (when he goes away etc.---never for the whole year)....Is taking out some big parts of his Ivy beds, and wants to seed it all with grass.

To make a long story short--he contacted me a while ago, decided to hire some neighbor kids...and now has come back to me as the job is too big for him.....Here's what still needs to be done: The remains of the ivy--after a dose of plant killer (i.e. lots of dead roots, still in ground + some live plants scattered throughout--although all the tops/leaves of plants are gone)--all needs to be taken out...from some hardened dirt....Needs to be all tilled, and 2 yrds worth of top-soil needs to be spread throughout the bed(s)--then seeded.

We've estimated about 3-4 hrs, in & out for myself...& one other worker....We're gonna rake out/pull out old stuff....by hand...then till/add soil.... MY QUESTION: any ideas for ways *i* can do this cheaper/faster? Short of a back-hoe and digging the whole thing out/putting in new dirt...I can't come up with any ways of getting those roots out of there....and that solution doesn't save me any money (may have to up bid)...any tools I don't know about--some sort of plant/weed killer that would help at all? Is it worth trying to just till it all without pulling out all the old stuff(?) Just seems to me the roto-tiller is gonna get jammed up... Any comments/suggestions would be great!

-Rob

LAWNGODFATHER
07-08-2002, 07:22 PM
Burn it.

There is no magical over night root grinder chemical.

Yes you got it manually or machinery.

What roots are we talking here, from the ivy?

Why not just put the dirt over them, then plant grass or sod?

RV_Landscaping
07-08-2002, 08:18 PM
<i>Burn it. </i>
Illegal here....

<i>
What roots are we talking here, from the ivy?
</i>
Yes...
<i>
Why not just put the dirt over them, then plant grass or sod?</i>

Because....the Ivy can grow back:-) Not only that....but it would require more dirt because some of these roots/left over ivy vines are a good 2-3 inches or more off the ground.... The extra dirt is gonna cost....customer doesn't want it done that way....Also, we'd have to put something extra down to keep ivy from growing back--and it still wouldn't be as good a starter for the grass....as a turned over/ivy'less area....

lawnstudent
07-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Tiller is going to wind the roots up onto the tines. You'll be stopping to unravel the tines a lot. Can you get a small tractor into this area with a box scraper? Use the scarifing teeth with the box scraper to rip the roots out. A good crossing pattern should do it. Good luck.

jim

awm
07-08-2002, 10:24 PM
course ucould put a couple o shoats on it
[small pig,less than 100 lbs]..they love to dig the roots up.afterwards a bbq is in order.

BLL
07-09-2002, 02:29 AM
go to home depot and get some of the grey landscape fabric and lay it over the ivy then put teh dirt over it and sod or seed. May require a little bit ore dirt but a hell of a lot easier. Just make sure its enough dirt to grow grass in.

RV_Landscaping
07-09-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by lawnstudent
Tiller is going to wind the roots up onto the tines. You'll be stopping to unravel the tines a lot. Can you get a small tractor into this area with a box scraper? Use the scarifing teeth with the box scraper to rip the roots out. A good crossing pattern should do it. Good luck.

jim

hmmm, could idea....and BLL....thats a good idea too....only problem is the heigh differential between the new section on the rest of the lawn....but maybe it wouldn't be more than a little hill....hmm, well...thanks for the ideas!

(pigs aren't gonna work--sounds tasty though;-))....

-Rob