PDA

View Full Version : Honda cutting height

TheGrassGuy
07-08-2002, 07:04 PM
I bought a Honda HRR216 mower over the weekend. I have used it a couple of times and the height of the mower is not high enough even on the highest setting. I am ready to get rid of it already if the Toro Super Recycler can be set higher. I am not happy with the mulching capabilities either - maybe because it does not cut as high as I am used to.

Any modification for this or help?

Max height is 3.25"

rkbrown
07-09-2002, 10:04 AM
Toro prolines only go to 3.25" from what I have read. This is the case with most 21's, even with commercial. It would be nice if they had a 21" that went to 4 or 4.5

TLS
07-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by rkbrown
It would be nice if they had a 21" that went to 4 or 4.5

And the power, and suction to give an excellent cut at that height. Very few pushmowers cut well at their top height setting. They have to be the easiest decks to make cut well. Think about it....You can only push them so fast, they are only 20-22" wide with as much as 7hp, the blade is fully surrounded by a baffle.... Why is it that so many pushmowers cut poorly above 3", when my big 60" Lazer cuts like a dream up high?

Done ranting...:rolleyes:

rkbrown
07-09-2002, 10:51 AM
Good point, TLS. I guess I wish it would cut just a bit higher. I get a very nice cut at 3.25, but I'm sure you are right about the decks.

4 Saisons
07-09-2002, 11:52 AM
i think the problem is the blade speed, only 3000 rpm for most 21". most big deck turn at 18 000

next winter I'll try to see if i can do something on my toro bbc with the pulley and belt.

quality of cut decrease over 2.25"

turfman33
07-09-2002, 06:30 PM
I hear ya with the Honda. I just took mine back. The grass stopping the blade was the last straw. The blade stopped while the engine still ran. Made for a nice burning smell. Anyway, when I took mine back I was told that honda wont raise the deck height. I was scalping with mine as well, even with the deck raised to the roof. I swapped the Honda in for a JD JX85 after a recommendation from a user on this sight. The mower rocks. It has a three and half inch top height with a single mulch blade instead of the two with the Honda. I have put this through some thick grass and wet at that.....NO problems. try it and let me know what ya think.

steve

TheGrassGuy
07-09-2002, 07:30 PM
I'd like to return it but don't know if the dealer would take it. The Toro I looked at only goes to 3". There is a guy who may start bringing in Husqvarna 21" mowers but again only cut to 3.5". Only other option would be to special order the John Deere - no other dealers in the area.

brucec32
07-12-2002, 01:25 AM
My toro 21" mowers match the height of my toro walk behind and exmark lazer z when they're set at 4", but mine aren't proline. They're the top end homeowner version.

ilovethisgame
07-12-2002, 08:19 PM
As far as mulching w/ a 21" goes Toro Prolines are what I've had the best luck w/. And yes, I have mulched w/ just about every other type of 21" commercial grade mower. Gald to hear the JD's work well. I may have to go that direction soon seeing as my new toro dealer is an a**hole. That and the ban on 2cycle mowers here in CA, or else it would be another proline for me.

-Dave

proline32
07-13-2002, 01:31 AM
The Lawnboy Commercial has a max height of 3.5 inches but with that little adjustable wheel you can crank up the rpms to get some pretty good speed at the blade and it really can cut good.

I have mine set pretty high, to the point where the grass bag is real tight from the air pressure pushing against it and it really packs the grass in there, I'm also impressed with it's mulching capabilities as well.

TheGrassGuy
07-17-2002, 04:37 AM
Spoke with the dealer yesterday, they cannot help me with the height of the mower and Honda has a Service Bulletin out about the mower I have. It deals with the problem of leaving a trail of grass when mulching. There is a part that bolts to the deck that is supposed to keep the clippings under the deck. So I guess for now I have to keep the mower and try it with the new kit installed. If no luck I will be back to the dealer again. 3" still seems low to me though.