PDA

View Full Version : Save your money!!

Grass Shark
05-11-2010, 01:37 AM
So I got some gator blades and was running them on my thick dense lawns, not bad. Then I do some of my crappier lawns that are thin and not fertilized, looked good. Then a day later the phone started to ring.... "um... I went outside today and you guys missed spots all over the place when you where cutting my lawn.", one after the other. I heard that gator blades make you lose lift but, you should have seen this. I tried it and may I warn you that you are wasting your time & money. I was wishing I listened to others; when I was cutting fridays lawns again today... for FREE

flatlander42
05-11-2010, 01:43 AM
had one on my old 21" snapper....must agree...JUNK!!

sdk1959
05-11-2010, 01:55 AM
So I got some gator blades and was running them on my thick dense lawns, not bad. Then I do some of my crappier lawns that are thin and not fertilized, looked good. Then a day later the phone started to ring.... "um... I went outside today and you guys missed spots all over the place when you where cutting my lawn.", one after the other. I heard that gator blades make you lose lift but, you should have seen this. I tried it and may I warn you that you are wasting your time & money. I was wishing I listened to others; when I was cutting fridays lawns again today... for FREE

I think it is because it's still spring and the grass is softer, not as course as late spring, summer or early fall. I use gator blades and I did notice some lines of grass popping back up but it is more the grass conditions than anything else, just like the dandelion stems that pop back up. I'd give the gator blades another try in a few weeks.

MS_SURVEYOR
05-11-2010, 02:08 AM
Yea! I've got a set of 7 year old almost new ones that did the same thing on my lawn. :hammerhead:

Richard Martin
05-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Just like all mowers don't cut grass great in all conditions, all blades don't work in all conditions. If you could find one blade that would work in all conditons on all mowers then there wouldn't be so many different styles of blades available.

Gators definately have their place in my operation. From the middle of summer until the end of the season they are what I use. We have a grass here called Bahia. It is long, stringey and tough. When you cut it the mower discharges it as these 12" pieces. That is on a week's growth. The Gators chop it up better than any other mower so it will fall down into the turf. It's also not just me that uses them on Bahia. I've talked to a couple of other cutters here and they're using them to chop up the Bahia too.

Gators are also very good at chopping up leaves in the fall. Better than any other blade I've ever tried.

They have their place, you just need to use them in the right conditions.

grassman177
05-11-2010, 08:33 AM
they are mostly useful in fall with leaves, they dont perform well in spring growth at all so save them just for that

lawnboy dan
05-11-2010, 08:40 AM
i use them on every mower-have nothing but praise for them.

ElephantNest
05-11-2010, 08:47 AM
They work great on my Lazer Z, but produces too much blow out, always chasing leaves.....so I use the exmark wavy mulchers, they work great.

Landscraper1
05-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Yes, For chopping up leaves and grass they are great but, they do not cut as well as a regular or high lift blade. I had purchased a bunch years back and had to take them off my mowers for the same reasons as Grass Shark. I still have about 10 blades on the shelf for over 5 years. I think it's time to throw them on my scrap metal pile.

dhardin53
05-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Some deck are designed for a high lift blade only. Was the original blades high lift? are you using straight Gators? something sounds odd. But I guess there is some applications that they might not work. first i heard