PDA

View Full Version : honda "true" 4 stroke trimmers?

MikeKle
05-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Are these trimmers considered commercial grade? I am considering one as my next trimmer, and I like the ability to change the oil and using 100% gas with no mix, and Im guessing they have an oil filter of some kind, but it would have to be really small? I am assuming if taken care of well, these could last a very long time, and probably have lots of low end torque? but how is the high end on these, if anyone has one? I would get the biggest one they offer of course. what is the biggest engine/model they offer in this true 4 stroke? Are there any cons to them? Thanks

topsites
05-11-2010, 02:47 AM
No, you better go talk to your dealer, it's a 4-cycle engine that runs on mix fuel,
also it isn't a torque-based application, it's horsepower based, and yes they have a lot of power.

Also to my understanding Stihl's 4-cyclers are all commercial grade.

Alan0354
05-11-2010, 02:58 AM
I have the HHT31SUNBA 31cc with bike handle. It is powerful, very very quiet, Always one pull start. Very smooth, when I first got my Shindaiwa M242, I actually thought there is a problem with the Shindy because it vibrate so bad. It is heavy though.

It does not have an oil filter. I have the smaller GX25 engine on Mantis also. Both don't have oil filter and I have the parts diagram of the biggest GX35 engine, no oil filter either.

If you want to get a lighter one, Husqvarna 324L use the GX25 engine and the trimmer is lighter than Honda and I believe Husky is solid shaft vs Honda cable shaft. Also Honda don't have any attachment option where you'll find more option with the Husky. But if you want to big HHT35S, then that's the only one. It is very reasonable priced also. I saw the HHT35S for $359 a lot of places before. $359 for a big 35cc brush cutter is very very cheap. This is as powerful as other big trimmer that cost more. And with Honda reputation. these engines are being used on other commercial equipments other than lawn stuff. People even hot rod them to use in RC model planes.

My 31cc go through waist high weeds like butter, no effort at all. It uses .105 lines but I like it with .095.

One thing be aware, they can run in all position but they cannot be store in all position. The cylinder either has to be pointing up or the trimmer has to be hung vertical. Putting side way or up side down for a day or two will result in oil sipping into the combussion chamber and make it harder to start, smoking for a minute after starting. Extreme case people had to take the plug off and drain oil out of the cylinder before starting. This is normal for any 4 cycle engine with separate oil. It does not hurt the engine. Some people complain about oil coming out of the air filter or exhaust, it is due to the same reason.

And yes, I believe if you change oil more often and use synthetic, you can make the engine last longer than the regular 2 cycle. Because you are in control of the oil, not like the 2 cycle, you cannot put more oil to give better lubrication.

Merkava_4
05-11-2010, 03:30 AM
No, you better go talk to your dealer, it's a 4-cycle engine that runs on mix fuel,
also it isn't a torque-based application, it's horsepower based, and yes they have a lot of power.

Also to my understanding Stihl's 4-cyclers are all commercial grade.

I think you're talking about Stihl 4-Mix trimmers ... you're in the wrong thread. :D

cgaengineer
05-11-2010, 06:20 AM
I wouldn't buy a trimmer or any other handheld with and oil sump for any reason other than the fact you shouldn't run them upside down.

Just so you know, a Stihl 4 mix is a true 4 stroke. Operates exactly the same as the engine on your mower or in your truck, the only difference is Stihl has figured out how to lubricate the engine without the use of an oil sump using mixed fuel. This keeps the weight to a minimum by eliminating oil in a tank. It also can be stored or operated in any position including upside down.

No doubt Honda makes good stuff, but a trimmer with an oil reservoir is not a good idea IMHO.

Merkava_4
05-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Every time I stand up straight while holding a trimmer at the dealer, the spool ends up being about 10 inches off the floor. If I want the spool to touch the floor, I gotta lean forward. When I lean forward, I then have to bend my neck back, putting a strain on my neck muscle. I'm thinking I might have to end up getting that extra long Tanaka.

Alan0354
05-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't buy a trimmer or any other handheld with and oil sump for any reason other than the fact you shouldn't run them upside down.

Just so you know, a Stihl 4 mix is a true 4 stroke. Operates exactly the same as the engine on your mower or in your truck, the only difference is Stihl has figured out how to lubricate the engine without the use of an oil sump using mixed fuel. This keeps the weight to a minimum by eliminating oil in a tank. It also can be stored or operated in any position including upside down.

No doubt Honda makes good stuff, but a trimmer with an oil reservoir is not a good idea IMHO.

Honda is designed to run in all position, no problem with that at all.

4Mix type of technology has been around since WWII, it is not new.

freddyc
05-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I think you're talking about Stihl 4-Mix trimmers ... you're in the wrong thread. :D

Yeah, he's really in the wrong thread.

I have the honda... heavy but powerful. Starts good, quiet, good power.

Seems fairly well balanced overall.

freddyc
05-11-2010, 01:24 PM

Ive been using a 4 stroke trimmer for several years. I use it in all positions, treat it rough and only adjust the valves very in-frequently.

It seems to me that most people who say you cant use a 4 stoke in different positions or that there's this problem or that problem probably never owned one or maybe had a lemon.

My experience has been completely positive.

AllSeasonServices
05-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I had the Honda and an old stihl FS 90. The honda now hangs in my garage and I have switched entirely to the new stihl 4 mix FS 90s. If you do buy the honda you really need to be careful how you store it and Id recommend purchasing extra insulators for the carburetor. They are very brittle and get cracks in them very easily, and then it wont run. Plenty of power, a little on the heavy side but it was a good machine... just not very durable.

cgaengineer
05-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Ive been using a 4 stroke trimmer for several years. I use it in all positions, treat it rough and only adjust the valves very in-frequently.

It seems to me that most people who say you cant use a 4 stoke in different positions or that there's this problem or that problem probably never owned one or maybe had a lemon.

My experience has been completely positive.

I own a 4 mix Stihl...works great, but I wouldn't buy a Honda with a sump.
Posted via Mobile Device

ixlr8
05-11-2010, 01:53 PM
I own a 4 mix Stihl...works great, but I wouldn't buy a Honda with a sump.
Why?? What can you do with your Stihl that I can't do with my Honda?

lilweeds
05-11-2010, 02:23 PM
The Honda is nice and powerful, but the jet in the carb is extremely small and clogs easy. The two I had each went through a carb after about a year. It's been a couple years so they may have gotten better.

cgaengineer
05-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Hang it in any position for years, run upside down for extended periods...and the Stihls have a solid drive shaft.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
05-11-2010, 02:27 PM

I don't think the Honda engines EVER have any issue. There is no contraversy with Honda engines or any argument whether it is good or bad. The cracking of insulater is the first I ever heard of. There is a sure cure.......don't hit the air filter!!!!!:laugh::laugh:

Again, Honda can run in ALL position. I tried to attach the animination picture and I can't.

Here is the one I posted a while back, if you are interested in how the Honda engine work to be able to run in all position. There is no if and buts about this.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=312700&page=2

ixlr8
05-11-2010, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=cgaengineer;3559837]Hang it in any position for years, run upside down for extended periods...and the Stihls have a solid drive shaft.
[QUOTE]

I can 'hang' my Honda anyway I want, granted I can't lay it down on it's side, or upside down... not an issue for me.
I can run it in any position... have spent more than a few hrs trimming branchs over my head with the cutter blade on.
OK... Honda does not have solid shaft... I have been using mine for 7 years, no issues so far, although there is a little rattle in the shaft at idle.

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 12:47 AM
They had a Honda with the bike handles at my dealer today, was used one time, and they are selling for $230. for it, not sure what model it is though, only got a quick look at it. I did see the little oil plug on the side though. The name is what drew me to it, honda is very well known and probably has a great warranty too? But then again, I love my redmax??? I wish I could go out and get about 3 different trimmers!

Alan0354
05-12-2010, 01:51 AM
They had a Honda with the bike handles at my dealer today, was used one time, and they are selling for $230. for it, not sure what model it is though, only got a quick look at it. I did see the little oil plug on the side though. The name is what drew me to it, honda is very well known and probably has a great warranty too? But then again, I love my redmax??? I wish I could go out and get about 3 different trimmers!

I am not sure about the warranty, I had carb issue that the dealer told me they decline warranty. I think it's more the dealer. Turn out I found metal fragments inside the carb. I clean it up and works great since. I don't fault Honda, it is Wabro and it's manufacturing defect, not relate to the trimmer. Besides, there are enough people complained about the dealer refuse warranty repairs. This is not brand related. That is the reason I don't necessary buy from dealer unless they proved to be honest. And from all the complains, seems like it is not a given.

I think you must be talking about the HHT35SUNBA. That is very good price. It is over $400 new. If you have use for a big brush cutter, this is it. It should come with a saw blade like mine.

And yes, I would like to have more trimmers too!!! I want a FS250 or the Shindy T270 before they all disappeared.

skipster01
06-14-2011, 12:38 AM
I have had a HHT25 honda trimmer for over 4 years and going strong still. No problems since I have owned it. It's the perfect trimmer for residential jobs. I have owned a lot of timmers and never had the throttle control that the honda has. I also have a stihl 4 mix 130. I really don't like using it on my residential, to much power and hard to control the throttle, but I love using it when im out in the country or heavy jobs with talls weeds and grass.
In short, the Honda trimmer has been the first problem free trimmer I have owned to date. Sorry stihl, you still need to work on the fuel system clogs. I know and read about many people with fuel system problems. Not yet on the Honda.
Huhh, um embarrased to say it, I ran Ryobi 3 new trimmers in a row, longest one I could get to last is 3 years. Lesson learned there. Pride can only carry you so far :)
Jeff

weeze
06-14-2011, 05:54 PM
i've had my honda for 6-7 years with no issues...other than replacing the spools due to wear 2 times but that is normal for any trimmer...i run mine upside down when edging and it rolls over upside down and sideways in the back of the truck sometimes...never had any issues out of it...cranks right up every time....the thing i love about it is the torque....you can cut stuff without having to pull the trigger all the way like you have to on a 2 stroke which is great for trimming weeds in beds or on the edge of beds and such so you don't throw mulch everywhere....that also saves gas...i can trim all day without having to refill the tank with gas....that's pretty cool.