PDA

View Full Version : Exmark metro 21" or Honda HRC

duranlandscaping
05-11-2010, 02:02 AM
Looking to buy next week. Seeing what you all think? Can anyone give me pricing?

LawnMowerKing10
05-11-2010, 08:37 AM
I have the Toro commercial 21 . It's the exact same as Exmarks. It mulches and bags very well. I have no overall issues with it. My 21 ran me about $ 1, 100 before tax.

Swampy
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
My exmark 21 is good to go even if its just a push model. Never ran a honda so can't comment on it.

Alan0354
05-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I have the Toro commercial 21 . It's the exact same as Exmarks. It mulches and bags very well. I have no overall issues with it. My 21 ran me about $ 1, 100 before tax.

You sure the new Toro Commercial 21" is the same as Exmarks? What exactly the Exmarks model. I am kind of looking at the Toro because it is the lightest of all the commercial mowers. The Toro site didn't say how thick the aluminum deck is. Do you have any idea? Their Heavy Duty is spec 1/4". Do you know whether it is belt driven or Hydro? I really don't want to get hydro because of the reliability and the cost of fixing.

zak406
05-11-2010, 05:41 PM
The new exmarks are completly diffrent than the toro, any body else chime in im looking to buy the new exmark??

old timer
05-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Yall need to do some heavy duty research on the 2010 Exmark 21 in, I wanted to buy one and went to the dealer to look at it since it is a brand new machine. While at the dealer the one I was looking at was the cheaper model with zone start, the belt came off twice in the parking lotwhich concerned me since the one I wanted was going to cost me 1099 after 100 rebate. I reqested to that one out for a demo on yards that I cut. I was put off over and over until I finally got intouch with the distrbutor in Ga, he told me that he would ship one to me the model that I was wanting to by and if I liked it then it was mine. I waited almost a month and still no mower I got back with the distributor and told hime that needed a 21 in mower ASAP I was also looking at the Honda, he told me that the mowers had belt guide issues and the production was stopped so to save me the hassle I should buy the Honda which I did. I do like Exmark products I have a rider but I took his advice.

old timer
05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
zak406, you are right it is totally different from the metro version that they sold last year that was why I waited until the new one came out, it looks real close to the old John Deere silver mower that was sold during the early 1990's , my old deere lasted 15 years and I was hoping the Exmark would do the same. Very disappointed in my demo.

LawnMowerKing10
05-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I meant the 2009 model of the Exmark 21. The only difference is that there is a different bag and a different logo. The 21's are belt driven

SimonCX
05-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I have the toro commerical which was the same as exmark until this year and a commerical honda. I would get a honda if I had to buy another, the honda seems to roll better, mulchs better and is cheaper price then the toro. I see the new exmarks use plastic wheels instead of metal like the old ones. Both are really good mowers and you really can't go wrong with either but I would go honda from using both.

twobroslawns
05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
We just had a customer who's getting married give us his wifes Honda HRT 216 Harmony II. It wasn't running when we got it a couple days ago, but I cleaned up the carb and now it runs pretty strong. Anyway, it is soooooo much easier to use than our Commercial Honda. Way lighter and the transmission is a lot less jerky. Theoretically, it shouldn't last as long (GCV engine vs. GXV) (Steel vs. Aluminium) (Belt tranny vs shaft) but time will tell. I hear there are hug transmission problems with these? Well, for now it will be put in line in front of our commercial for most of our yards. We have a few accounts that we just picked up that all they want is mowing (no edging or weedeating) so for those we will use both, but other than that it will get a chance to prove itself. and yes, I know its a homeowner model.

zak406
05-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Once again i want to stress the new metro 21 and the toro have nothing in common....... The older style metros were the same the new ones are completely different *trucewhiteflag*

zak406
05-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Also guys i need an opinion im probably picking one of these up tommorow... what model would you go with the as with the kaw or the kaw with the zonestart the one gallon fuel tank and engine protector....

Merkava_4
05-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Why would any of you guys want zone start? I thought you guys were supposed to be professionals. :D

K-OS
05-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Forget the Toro, Toro's are known for their crappy cut quality when wet.

Can't say much for the Exmark, haven't tried it yet.

As for the Honda, I bought one last week and am still being surprised by the way it cuts. Bagging performance is reminiscent of the old Lawnboy with direct chute (NEVER clogs, and packs the bag tight). Mulching performance reminds me of my John Deere Z Turn with mulch on demand, where you pass over a small branch and still travel 30 feet while hearing that branch getting disintegrated.

I have had Toro Prolines for over 20 years now and the Honda absolutely blows them away, not in comfort for the user, but in cut quality.

The engines are 5.5hp compared to 6.5 from Kawasaki, but you will not notice the difference. I think Honda rated their engine more realistically than Kawasaki.

Good Luck!

zak406
05-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Why would any of you guys want zone start? I thought you guys were supposed to be professionals. :D

Cheaper not to mention I have had bbc on both of my hondas before this and they were both junk....

duranlandscaping
05-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm talking about the 2009 Metro 21" not the new commercial 21. I got a quote today on the exmark and it is 1400. Is it worth the 300 more than the honda?

LawnMowerKing10
05-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Zak406- thats the exact model I have. It also has the BBC

Merkava_4
05-13-2010, 05:34 AM
I'm talking about the 2009 Metro 21" not the new commercial 21. I got a quote today on the exmark and it is 1400. Is it worth the 300 more than the honda?

If the cut quality is the same between both mowers, then start looking at the ergonomics....

Frue
05-13-2010, 07:19 AM
let me help you go get a toro last years model (not a bbc) This is the best 21 in the game all the rest are still playing catch up. It will bag and it will mulch when conditions present themselves favorably. The other mowers do not do one or the other welll. One may mulch well but baggging is poop or vice versa. The toro does both great. The bbc version does not mulch well but bags great. The exmark does not mulch at all unless its a inch growth. so there you have it take my expierence and run with it. You will have many years with this unit.