PDA

View Full Version : What if your trimmer was 12 inches longer?

Merkava_4
05-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Could you still use it comfortably, or would the added length make it unusable?

And please mention how tall you are. Thanks. :)

cgaengineer
05-11-2010, 08:08 AM
It would for me, I am 5'7"

nepatsfan
05-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Could you still use it comfortably, or would the added length make it unusable?

And please mention how tall you are. Thanks. :)

6'2" I think it would be more comfortable, however I rarerly use a trimmer.

topsites
05-11-2010, 10:04 AM
6'3" and a longer trimmer would make things harder on my back.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
05-11-2010, 10:15 AM
If your trimmer was 12 inches longer, you'd be the owner of a Tanaka PFL! The extra length is very beneficial... And, the increased productivity outweighs the extra weight(pun intended) of the longer shaft. I've set up one of my Tanakas up a little bit differently. I moved the throttle handle 3.5 inches away from the engine. This makes the unit WAY more comfortable than the standard unit... PERFECT CENTER OF GRAVITY!

Big, small, short or tall... Everyone that uses my pfl's for a long enough time to get used to them loves the benefit of the shaft length.

MikeKle
05-11-2010, 12:41 PM
After suffering while using any trimmer, I made a special handle to replace the loop handle on my trimmers, it is basically just taller and looks like a J handle, it has worked great, and I dont hunch over anymore, even with a regular length trimmer shaft. I held the trimmer and had someone measure how far my hand was from the shaft standing in a comfortable position, and designed it around this figure.

kbrashears
05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I would. I'm 6'2.

But what I'd like to see is a straight trimmer with an adjustable angle head.

KrayzKajun
05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
im 5'7 it wouldnt help me

Alan0354
05-11-2010, 02:25 PM
You tall guys should quit complaining here, get together and write to Shindaiwa, Stihl, Echo..............Telling them your story. This is a very easy modification for them. If you guys have the number and bombard them with emails or letters, one of them might listen and build one.

STIHL GUY
05-13-2010, 01:08 AM
im 5' 10'' and i think an extra 12'' on the trimmer would be real awkward to use and get used to

unkownfl
05-13-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm tempted to take out the old pipe bender and give the shaft a tweak but I know I'll break the drive shaft LOL. I don't think it being longer will help Yeah you will be straighter standing but swinging gives more momentum and would hurt your back too. I'm 6ft

AOD
05-13-2010, 01:15 AM
extra length makes me feel uncomfortable......

no, not really, I think it'd be just fine.

And I'm 6'3"

bd44
05-13-2010, 01:19 AM
A bit longer would be nice. An adjustable would be the berries. easy with a sleeved shaft and guts. I could always use an extra 6"........for the reaching under the pines.
I'm 6'4"

bd44
05-13-2010, 01:22 AM
don't want to hijack ur post, but what the deal with the new style Stihl gas caps...they blow. Screw on, screw off, the old style worked

unkownfl
05-13-2010, 01:24 AM
don't want to hijack ur post, but what the deal with the new style Stihl gas caps...they blow. Screw on, screw off, the old style worked

Wow where have you been if these gas caps are new to you LOL.

cgaengineer
05-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Wow where have you been if these gas caps are new to you LOL.

Must be running some old Stihl stuff! That being said I hate the new style gas caps...especially on my BR600 when gas runs down your leg.
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeKle
05-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Must be running some old Stihl stuff! That being said I hate the new style gas caps...especially on my BR600 when gas runs down your leg.
Posted via Mobile Device

OR when you are in a hurry and cant get the cap to seat properly, and it ends up all ****-eyed on there! or what about when they get stuck and you almost need pliers to pull it out!!

grassman177
05-13-2010, 09:37 AM
my trimmer is a few longer than the "normal"ones and i love the extra, it helps under pine trees etc, but i would be happy with a few moe inches still(that is what she said! oh) to be easier on the old tired back. bending over to reach those areas is not as easy as it used to be

unkownfl
05-13-2010, 10:59 AM
OR when you are in a hurry and cant get the cap to seat properly, and it ends up all ****-eyed on there! or what about when they get stuck and you almost need pliers to pull it out!!

Naw thats not so bad the part that sucks is when you go to the dealer and bend over for well you know.

blb515
05-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm 6'4". I dont think extra length would help but a different angled head would. Being taller, I tend to hold the trimmer where the head is at more of an angle.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
05-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Tall guys... Extra trimmer length does help. Really. I have MUCHO trimming experience. For 3 years, I had a contract to trim 2 feet of grass on each side of 8 linear miles of guardrail. That= a lot of trimmer time.

I've been field testing Tanaka pfls for years.

I'm 6'3to4ish", after using a pfl extended reach trimmer for my first hour, going back to a conventional length trimmer was an impossibility. Set up from the factory, It was great for me-and good for my shorter employees. Everyone that uses them for anything more than 1 hour notes the ease of operation due to a more comfortable operating position... and is more so pleased with the increased productivity that the extra reach allows.

Tanaka modified one for me... at my suggestion, they moved the throttle handle forward 3.5 inches. Like this, the center of gravity is better than ANY other trimmer on the market. Hills, ditches, extended periods of operation are NOT a chore.

Groh's Mows
05-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Accu-cut, it sounds like you like the length but how about the overall performance of Tanaka compared to Stihl or other trimmers you have used. I'm 6'3" and you have me thinking hard about the PFL just to be able to stand up straight to trim and it sounds like it would be great under and around beds and landscaping. How long have you been running Tanaka and any problems so far?

topsites
05-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, and on the old style if they're on real tight you have to wrap your hand around the outside
of the cap to get it off and if anything slips or goes wrong there goes a knuckle scraping against
a piece of the machine, tearing up skin.
And either it's on tight enough, or it leaks fuel.

GunnPropertyServices
02-28-2011, 10:56 PM
anyone know where you can buy different handles for trimmers that are a little taller to drop the head without bending over???????????????

flatlander42
02-28-2011, 11:03 PM
12" may be to much. I am 6'3 and I use a stihl fs110r. I am used to it and how it feels. Not really a problem, but I think a longer one would be nice at times.

RIprop
02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
id love to try an extended trimmer. every year the first month or so of work can be a real pain in the back until my tensed up back muscles get use to the hunched over requirements of a short trimmer... im 6'2"... maybe ill try the PFL if its in the budget this year!

cvcook
02-28-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm 6'6" and wouldn't know how to act w/ a longer trimmer, I wish Redmax would make theirs longer!

Merkava_4
02-28-2011, 11:29 PM
12" may be to much.

By time you slide the trigger grip down 4 inches to balance out the trimmer, you're ending up with a trimmer that's 8 inches longer instead of 12.

D&K Lawns
02-28-2011, 11:39 PM
I am 6'5 and went to demo the tanaka pfl. I liked it but it was still awkward. Sure it would just take some getting used to. Alan0534 is right though, we should do an email saturation to those companies.

Merkava_4
02-28-2011, 11:44 PM
I am 6'5 and went to demo the tanaka pfl. I liked it but it was still awkward.

What if the trigger grip was slid down further making the trimmer balanced; would it still be awkward then?