PDA

View Full Version : To do or not to do???

ajslands
05-11-2010, 08:08 AM
So I was just wondering what your guy's oppinions were for putting that landscape carpet stuff down (the black stuff to prevent weeds) I've talked to some people that say don't put it down and others say put it down. So idk what to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

irrig8r
05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
What's that have to do with lighting?

klkanders
05-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Ya....what Gregg said. There are only a few of us here that do landscaping along with lighting. So to answer your question.......it depends. What material are you putting on top of it? Rock.......angular or round? If round you might be ok with a heavy mil black plastic if limited foot traffic. If angular in shape I would go with the fabric (we use Typar brand) as it doesn't rip as easily but it is more costly. Now if you are putting mulch, bark or similar on top you can use the fabric or nothing. If you use nothing its suggested to use a product like Preen to limit the amount of weeds etc. Mulch, bark or similar will require more maintenance down the road such as weeding and adding material on an annual or every other year basis. Hope that answers your question. Good Luck!

ajslands
05-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Oh oops! I thought it said agriculture and lighing,

Mjd or Sean or chuck can you Move it
Posted via Mobile Device

terrapro
05-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Under mulch a big no no, under or behind rock/stone is a must.

David Gretzmier
05-11-2010, 10:50 PM
eww- landscaping questions on the lighting forum feels so...dirty. I was never a big fan of landscape fabric, as most guys use it to cover weeds and then cut holes for plants. I can understand it under rocks, as soil will eat rocks over time.

93Chevy
05-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Under mulch a big no no, under or behind rock/stone is a must.

Excellent advice. If a customer wants it, I've turned down jobs because I refuse to put it down for mulch.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Ok I am not a landscaper, but what is the issue with the fabric under mulch. Many of my clients do this across wide swaths of land/bush/forest. I havent seen any bad effects from it.

Wanting to understand.

93Chevy
05-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Basically, it makes weeds even harder than usual to pull. Under river rock, rip rap, or crushed stone, fabric in a must because, like another poster said, the gravel will sink and eventually become consumed by the soil. The fabric acts as a barrier. Additionally, weeds cannot seed on rocks. Of course there will be some silt and sand matter where weeds will germinate, but to a lesser extent, especially is Preen is applied regularly.

On mulch, weeds are able to seed and germinate in mulch matter. The fabric not only allows the mulch to wash off hillsides quite easily, but the weeds can root in the fabric, thus creating an unpleasant weeding experience.

klkanders
05-11-2010, 11:48 PM
James,
Tim is making me feel old. I have been in the landscape industry much longer than he has been living. :) He has made some great points. Try ripping some weed mat out that has been in awhile...the weeds and grass actually love the environement underneath it also. Some gets so heavy its like pulling up large sod pieces! Our guys hate it but it is a better choice under rock. Eventually rock too will capture dirt in between and will need attention but not nearly as much maintenance as mulch is.

RLI Electric
05-12-2010, 06:10 AM
I took a little landscape design class and the lady was telling us to spread a sheet of newspaper under the mulch. Does the same thing as the black fabric but dissolves after a couple of weeks. Needless to say, it is not fun to lay down on a windy day and the wind sure seems to be blowing everytime my wife and I are putting this stuff down.

93Chevy
05-12-2010, 07:29 PM
James,
Tim is making me feel old. I have been in the landscape industry much longer than he has been living. :) He has made some great points. Try ripping some weed mat out that has been in awhile...the weeds and grass actually love the environement underneath it also. Some gets so heavy its like pulling up large sod pieces! Our guys hate it but it is a better choice under rock. Eventually rock too will capture dirt in between and will need attention but not nearly as much maintenance as mulch is.

Thank you :)

I try to sell as many customers on rock as possible...possibly a higher up front cost because of labor, but longevity of river rock just can't be beat by mulch. I hate doing yearly mulch work anyway...I'd rather it just be a one time thing.