PDA

View Full Version : Using Broken Concrete as fill

freddmc
05-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I have a customer who has an old garage slab that he wants to remove. He also has an area of his yard that will require fill in order to make it level. He wants to break up the concrete and use it as fill in the low area. He may have to excavate an area to bury the concrete. How much soil would be required over the concrete fill.

Thanks

AGLA
05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Will you keep asking until someone says yes?

Swampy
05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
okay if you want to bury it, bury it close to 8ft deep. That way it don't effect any plants on the surface. The cost to rent and operate a excuvator on the property will out weigh the cost of just getting a dumpster and having it hauled away.

freddmc
05-11-2010, 08:20 PM
"Will you keep asking until someone says yes?"

Why would you ask that?

White Gardens
05-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Swampy is right. Don't use it as shallow fill.

Either use the dumpster as stated or haul it to an asphalt plant. Usually they take it for free.

AGLA
05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
"Will you keep asking until someone says yes?"

Why would you ask that?

Because I read your post on another forum only you were it was your son's house because you were not pretending to be a landscaper with a client.

Don't use it as deep fill either because it will not bury evenly (there will be voids) and some time in the future it will settle at best, or cause sink holes at worts.

Swampy
05-12-2010, 02:37 AM
True but thats how a lot of in ground pool demo's go. After a few years might have to go back and fill in the sink holes. Burying concrete won't be cost effective unless you have a good amount of it. And old garage floors don't mean alot of concrete.

In the Army we just use old broken up concrete for drainage stone.

AGLA
05-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Old concrete is now recycled in some areas. It can be dumped for free in my neck of the woods. It is also illegal to bury demo including concrete in my neck of the woods.

White Gardens
05-12-2010, 08:25 AM
One of the local Asphalt plants here will give you some minor credit when you take them old concrete. They just grind it and throw it into their asphalt mix. Kinda nice not having to actually pay to get rid of it unlike brush and other stuff you get charged for.

They do batches also where the crush it big for rip-rap to use a erosion control. They also have some they label as CA-11, which is basically 3/4 inch rock without the limestone fines in it. Almost as good as washed gravel.

Swampy
05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
See its legal to bury it here, it is illegel to use it as rip rap for shorelines though cause our DNR see's concrete as a polluten. Also in my neck of the woods I have to pay to dispose of it, something like 50 bucks a ton if I can remember. So thus I rent a 20 yard construction dumpster.