PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is the correct area for this...

GreenThumbLawnServices
05-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Unfort. my neighborhood is going down hill and we have noticed grafitti being sprayed around:nono:...and last night my fence was hit. I have for sometime wanted to plant a shrub of some sort to make it less appealing place to spray, and now looks like I need to act on it.

Could someone tell me a fast growing shrub/tree that can be planted near a
4' ceder fence. It gets sun in the morning but by 1pm it wouldnt be getting too much light since the fence is there and the fence is on the east side of house.

Thanks for any help with this,
Dave

AGLA
05-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Barberry, pyracantha, or rugosa roses sound like a good option

PerfectEarth
05-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Schip Laurel. Will fill and hedge if you want, can prune it to size... Evergreen

yamadooski
05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
How can any of you give a good response if you dont know what zone he lives in?

PerfectEarth
05-17-2010, 09:37 PM
UUmmmmmm, Just trying to help. Considering my suggestion is a zone 4/5-8 plant, I figured that would be decent enough to cover......say, 95% of the country!

If he lived in the Florida Keys and went shopping for a Schip Laurel, I guess he wouldn't find one, right?

yamadooski
05-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Yep that is correct on the laurel. Im in Tampa and I cant tell you how many times i get people asking me for Hydrangeas and Lilac. The Hydrangeas do good here in the winter and that is it.
I do miss the Lilac.

But I too can list off a about 30 things he can put in front of that fence but I dont know where he is at, so my things might not work.

It does suck living down this far as 90% of all the stuff everyone talks here about is northern stuff and then I have to do searches to see what everyone is talking about.

PerfectEarth
05-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Yea, I would have no clue about many of the tropicals you guys use down there. Funny thing is, people ask about them to use up here! Sometimes I wish there were less plants to choose from in KY! Typical midwestern landscaping...

yamadooski
05-18-2010, 08:01 PM
I cant even tell you about the number of plants we can use.
This is great because a lot of lawn guys get scared about how much we can choose from.
I pull inventory from all over the state.
Take for example I have 16 different Cordyline. I have 122 different varieties of Ginger. I have 18 varieties of Crotons. I have 32 different colors of Hibiscus.
Now Palms I have over 200 different to choose from. This is just tropicals. Now get into cold hardy sfuff like Ligustrums, Vibernums, Oaks, Crepes, Magnolias, ect. ect, ect.
I have supply book that is over 400 pages I get each month. I have counless number of emails sent everyday.
Keeping track of all plants prices for the entire state is like keeping track stock market.
This is why I blow most of the competition out of the water for design and pricing.
I actually have other landscapers buy from me when I shipments coming in for other jobs.
I do kinda envy the northern guys with not that much to choose from. I would how ever like to some day bring my style of landscaping to the north.
Kinda like the Wisconsin area.