PDA

View Full Version : Hands are hurting

little nick
05-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi Guys, I'm new to the site. Moved to a new house last year. Bigger lawn
than my old snapper could handle. I purchased a Wright Velke 15hp. I could not afford the HYDRO so I ended up with a belt drive. I love this mower. Handles great, I don't seem to have many problems except for my hands.

Using the pistol grips get diffult after an hour plus of mowing. I guess if i was to do this all day my hands would get used to it but i don't....and they hurt.
Also the property is lined with a fence...I get alot of scraps from the fence.

Is there anything I can purchase ie( lever handles) that i can use instead of the pistol grips ?? Or is there a way to lessen the tension it takes to press the pistol grips?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

93Chevy
05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Do a variety of pushups, pull-ups, and forearm exercises to build up your muscles. Other than that, it may be possible to play with the tension, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

eatonpcat
05-12-2010, 12:44 PM
You could always workout!!!:drinkup:

44DCNF
05-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Exmarks have a way of lightening the tension on the pistol grips. I can't say about your Wright. On the exmark, it's a matter of repositioning where the tension spring on the engagement/idler pulleys to the wheel drive belts are mounted to...one of three different holes. By loosening the tension though, you may be making it harder for the unit to pull a stand-on device like a proslide or sulky from a dead stop, or on hills. You may encounter some slipping in extreme cases. If it has this effect, use the lighter setting while walking behind it, until you get your grip in shape and then revert back.

LewisLawn
05-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I agree with the above poster, my MTD has the same set up...my dad who mows with m often and has had his hand crushed once and two joints in both thumbs replaced. He adjusted he tension on the levers and belts so that he has no problems squeezing now, but geting his hand/grip closed is anoher problem he is looking for a way so he does not need to close the lever all the way to stop and turn.