PDA

View Full Version : What have you runover?

GrassMaster84
07-09-2002, 01:34 AM
I say the thread earlier about "hate to move things before you mow" but what if you can't see them?

I have runover: hoses, chains, barbed wire, haystring, tools, silverware, a 2x4, golf balls, tennis balls, baseballs, beer cans, and a bunch of others stuff im sure.....

sirsweatsalot
07-09-2002, 01:47 AM
7" of water, tomb stones, 16,000 dead bodies:) i mow a large cemetary if you didn't notice!

Phishook
07-09-2002, 02:45 AM
fawns (3 to date)

nuthinlikeadame
07-09-2002, 03:00 AM
Had a worker once who ran over a dead rat with a 21'' mower. The smell was so bad he threw up right there on the clients lawn. Once I found out why he tossed his cookies I laughed my azz off for half an hour.

Brieldo
07-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Bullsnakes, mice, garden hose, bricks, rocks, wire, plastic bags that kindly wrap themselves around the spindles...grrr...cloth products that stop the blades in their tracks...

Jon99
07-09-2002, 11:20 AM
A nest of bunnies.... I didn't realize what a softy I was until bunnies started flying out of my mower.... Just about brought a grown man to tears....

SLS
07-09-2002, 11:35 AM
:cry:Yeah, I HATE running over bunnies...and turtles too! :cry:

Shultz
07-09-2002, 12:07 PM
anti-scalp wheel...ouch

LAWNS AND MOWER
07-09-2002, 02:17 PM
Once drove my Toro 44in wb three feet up a guide wire while admiring my work across the creek. Blades were still running.

LAWNS AND MOWER

Lawn Wizard
07-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Ran over a bunny nest yesterday :( all three of em ran like heck and all survived, but I did get one with my rear tire...........little guy was screamin but I think it was mostly just shock. Went back today and checked on em and they all seemed fine :)

Doc Pete
07-09-2002, 05:26 PM
I have one lawn that the kids liked leaving bricks on. I told the customer, either it's an extra $15 to walk the lawn looking for bricks, or $50 when I hit one and have to sharpen my blades (hoping that's all that happens!!).
pete

rodfather
07-09-2002, 05:37 PM
D*** Pete...bricks? What kind of neighborhood is that in? Harlem?

Sound like tough little buggers...LMAO

TurfGuyTX
07-09-2002, 06:52 PM
I've run over rabbits before. We once have a guy who ran over 10" cast iron sewer pipes. (3) I did say once. :mad: :D

turfman33
07-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Chopped a snake in half last week. Didn't know until I turn back. I also ran over one of them tubes that people push down in the ground to feed roots. I hit that with my 21". It acted like a weed whacker and put a nice compound fracture in my shin. Out of work for 6 weeks. So look out for them.

Steve

sirsweatsalot
07-09-2002, 07:05 PM
today don't ask me how or why but i ran over a tampon....like an explosion, theres a lot of cotton in thoughs suckers. i was like what the F%$& and i got off to look and there it was. im sure there is a story behind why it was there but i don't really want to find out.

2 Black Thumbs
07-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Phishook, where are you cutting? Don't sound like a neighborhood piece of land, more like a farmers field. BTW, when you grind up those fawns, do you use them for anything other than fertilizer? Just kidding, I know that it is difficulte to avoid young deer in tall grass.:)

bob
07-09-2002, 10:26 PM
While doing leaves last fall, I ran over a dead squirrel. The vaccum on the Grasshopper sucked it right up. The down side, it stunk so bad that I had to dump the leaves right away.

Pelican
07-09-2002, 11:27 PM
The hitch pin to the front spindle of my Skag had gotten caught on something and fallen out. When I lifted the front end to go over a rocky area, the spindle fell off and I couldn't stop in time, ran it over. It sliced the wheel & tire, but didn't hurt the spindle or deck spindles, but I was out of business for the day.

Mowingman
07-09-2002, 11:39 PM
Reinforcing rod! I do a lot of commercial sites that always seem to have construction going on. Builders like to leave cut -off pieces, usually about a foot long, lying in the grass. They really wreck havoc on the deck, blades, and spindles.:angry:

AL Inc
07-09-2002, 11:42 PM
Pelican- I watched one of my men do the exact same thing. All I could do was shake my head. Shredded the tire completely. We've hit plenty of stuff over the years, but that I just couldn't believe. Speaking of running over stuff, a friend of mine disabled the safety interlocks on a 48" Scag. He rolled it off his trailer and started it while it was still in gear. The machine took off and IT was run over by a car. Fortunately, there wasn't much damage to the machine, but the car suffered a flat tire. So be careful everyone! Mike

deason
07-10-2002, 01:20 AM
My Cell Phone!!!

Stopped the lazer to take a call. Finished the call and decided to get come water from the cooler. Put the phone in the cupholder on the lazer. (said to myself "Ill get it when I come back"). Got me some water, got back on the lazer, fired it up and took off. Hit a bump and what seemed like slow motion, the phone flew in front of the lazer an I didnt stop in time.

Makes a hell of a noise. :rolleyes:

65hoss
07-10-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by deason
My Cell Phone!!!

Stopped the lazer to take a call. Finished the call and decided to get come water from the cooler. Put the phone in the cupholder on the lazer. (said to myself "Ill get it when I come back"). Got me some water, got back on the lazer, fired it up and took off. Hit a bump and what seemed like slow motion, the phone flew in front of the lazer an I didnt stop in time.

Makes a hell of a noise. :rolleyes:

...and your wife's flowerpot!!!:D

vipermanz
07-10-2002, 04:50 AM
dead rat,pile of old moldy dog food, tennis balls...,an easter egg collection,"male protection"in a old mans backyard:blush:

tranum
07-10-2002, 01:50 PM
i've hit a ton of stuff that wasn't good for the mower, but the most interesting thing did no damage. a billfold with $96.00 in it. most of the money was still intact. found an I.D. belonged to a high school kid. been lost about a year. returned it to his dad. not even a "thank you"..

KenH
07-10-2002, 04:17 PM
Am I the only one????

Sprinkler heads that dont retract.

Pelican---- The same exact thing happened to me. Cutting under a shrub with a 54", a branch pulled out the caster pin. Did a wheelie to miss a stump, caster fell off right under the deck, ouch!!:dizzy:

Alan Bechard
07-10-2002, 04:59 PM
When the wife is not out with the crew, sometimes it gets comical. With the mower we have, run over our own deck, gravely promaster 100 when the bolts sheared on a downhill, the right front tire of my dixon 60", run over it munched it up and spit it out. A water meter cover, concrete lid and cast iron door and all. A dog tie out, course it slung it through the custom made bay window in the front of the house! An iron pin as in survery marker about 2" in diameter, say goodbye to one MTD deck! but the ultimate and these are two no bull it happened. Had a new lady mowing that mowed into a cast concrete picknic table with pebble finish and broke the dang thing in half. I knew I was in trouble when I am talking to the lady asking where she got it and she says it was the picknic table from Opryland that her husband had proposed to her at and when they heard it was being auctioned he went and bought it for her, talk about feeling low! Ended up makeing her a new one because they stoped making that style table.

And while it did not get mown over we had an operator driving our truck while my wife was out, backed over 50' of chainlink fence in a tough driveway, replaced the fence, next week same operator, what do you reckon happened again! Ya it did!

Potomac Lawns Inc.
07-10-2002, 05:07 PM
I once ran over a water shut off valve in a town home front yard with my jd21 inch push metal cap came off and stuck the house did 3.50 in damage(new paice of siding)

yardman1
07-10-2002, 11:56 PM
The worst and most expensive was a piece of rebar sticking out the ground about the height that I was cutting ( it was not there the week before thanks to a survey crew) blew a spindle $150, destoyed a blade $15, bent the blade bolt $4.50. That is a $169.50, all in about 2 seconds. Thanks Mr. Survey Crew:cry:

Turf Ranger
07-11-2002, 12:43 AM
i ran over a sprinkler riser today that was down, but the grass was high.. which reminds me, i better go check for damage to the mower...

deason
07-11-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss
...and your wife's flowerpot!!!

Between you two raggin me about that, I will have a "clay pot complex" by the end of the year

At least I don't try to re-inact the Kenevil's infamous "snake river canyon jump" with a ford tractor and a storage shed! :laugh: :drinkup:

Brickman
07-11-2002, 09:21 AM
This is one funny thread.

I have run over more dog poo than I care to remember. I can tell you a dead bird stinks worse than dog poo. Stones, misc metal objects laying in the grass, that usually breaks shear bolts, and does a real number on the blades than takes the rest of the summer to sharpen the biggest dings out of them.

southside
07-11-2002, 10:41 AM
Hhmm. I've hit quite a few things on the mower and the tractor.
Heres the list.
Outhouse (tractor)
End table (tractor)
Sofa & single seater (tractor)
Various small car parts (tractor & mower)
Office chair(tractor)
Power box (tractor)
Matress base (tractor,stronger than they look)
Wicker chair and table (tractor)
Fridge (rammed with tractor)
Massey Ferguson TE20 (tractor,hidden in 5' grass)
Roadside Marker posts (tractor)
Litter of kittens (tractor)
Cane toads (mower & tractor)
Rats mice dead and alive (mower & tractor)
Numerous balls & toys (mower & tractor)
Used condoms (mower)
Television (tractor)
Kids wading pool (tractor)
Shopping trolley (tractor LOT stronger than they look)
Toilet bowl (tractor,spectacular)
Syringes (mower)

This list is just off the top of my head. I case you are all wondering
I do a lot of overgrown lots. :)

southside
07-11-2002, 10:44 AM
And in case you're wondering, this is the tractor in question.
Moral of all this is,If you're going to leave your things lying around,
I am going to destroy them. :)

turfman33
07-11-2002, 05:28 PM
I walked into a tree today. Does that count?

Steve

mark2
07-11-2002, 09:25 PM
I've hit alot of rocks before and dulled my blades but the other day I hit a basketball size rock that had rolled down the hill from recent constuction work and had landed in tall grass. It bent and ruined two Gater blades.

On the same property I ran over an old sofa cover. That in a pain.

MTS2357
07-11-2002, 11:35 PM
Propane bottle. One pound size. Big bang.:eek:

On the up side, it sure cleaned the deck. NO grass at all.

PrimeGreen Lawn
07-11-2002, 11:52 PM
Horseshoes, golf clubs, landscape lighting fixtures, baseball bats.

southside
07-13-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by MTS2357
Propane bottle. One pound size. Big bang.:eek:

On the up side, it sure cleaned the deck. NO grass at all.

Damn,now thats scary. Never hit anything that bad.

columbiaplower
07-13-2002, 02:14 AM
a fs85 line trimmer....................with a bobcat

Darryl G
07-14-2002, 11:01 PM
I ran over a big fat phone book left in tall grass by a mailbox a couple of weeks ago. Man, what a mess. The worst I ever hit was an old guy wire from a telephone pole with my brush mower. Wrapped that baby up real tight! Weed wacked a pile of dog scat last week. Now I can say that I do know what it tastes like!

Brickman
07-14-2002, 11:18 PM
Dog poo?????? YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have run over lighters, they make a similar deal as the propane bottle, but in a MUCH smaller size.

dr grass
07-15-2002, 01:15 AM
ran over frogs, snakes, rabbits, dog chains, plastic bags, papers, wires, rocks, toys, and probably a list of other things as long as my arm that i cant think of right now. but the worst thing that did the most damage was a steel horseshoe. i wacked that good and didnt realize what i had hit. i seen some tall grass in the field move when i heard it hit. so i stoped the mower and went over to that spot. there was a metal strap like they use to secure vinyl siding boxes lying there. i was thinking that it made alot of noise for being such a small item. i fired the blades back up and ran down my next stripe. well, when i turned around to hit the next stripe ..... HOLY S*&T! ! the middle of the last stripe was hacked right down to the ground. had to go back to the shop and found that i bent all 3 blades on my lazer, and the middle blade looked like a boomerang! ! ! i still have that one hanging on my wall in the shop. i never did figure out that i hit a horseshoe until i found it while trimming the following week, with a big gouge taken out of the side. sometimes you just dont see eveyting in the grass. live and learn i guess.

Shep :mad:

parkmaster
08-06-2002, 12:39 AM
lol. reading this thread :laugh: :D :laugh:

reel mower: turtle, snakes, paper (slices), cans, golf balls, rocks:mad:

scag with gatorblades: newspaper (lotsa little pieces), cans
bottles, dead animals, heck of a smell (yuk)

rvsuper
08-06-2002, 01:13 AM
Lets see here: Little mice, newspapers, phone books, rocks, full cans of beer, pop, whatever, and there was one time when I don't know what I was doing, but I ran over a 3ft. tall Colorado Spruce......Lucky that was on my own lawn!!!

Darryl G
08-06-2002, 02:43 AM
Glad to see this thread back. I may have posted on this before, but my most memorable has to be a phone book on a main road, with the discharge facing toward the street. Man, traffic was stopped and staring at me. I hit it, reversed, and shredded the rest into oncoming traffic. Those are the times you wish you DIDN'T have lettering on the truck!

PetalsandPines
08-06-2002, 09:47 AM
PickAxe with my Turf Tiger, shot the tip halfway through a garage wall. Golf Ball with my 48" scag...line drive through a picture window in the heart of the city, What the heck is a golf ball doing on a lawn in the city?

thfireman
08-06-2002, 11:39 AM
I have hit most small animals and reptiles. I hate to hurt those critters. The other day I took a job at a rental house. It looked like it was a month or two of grass growing. As I cut close to the house I hit a bag of roofing nails. It was like a hand granade!! Nails went all the way out to the road and half the front lawn. I called the owner and told them what happened. They said they would replace my tires! Hey I need new ones anyway so I cut the yard. Only got 1 nail in my right rear tire and 5 in the velke tires. The roofing company is going to get the rest with a big magnet.

Expert Lawns
08-06-2002, 11:50 AM
i saw that some of you hit bunnies. funny story. i was on my rider and at the last second saw the little nest right in front of me. these little guys shot out of there so fast, but i caught them all. i didn't want them on the lawn at all. so i picked them all up (5 of them) but couldnt' find a safe place for them. so i put them in the customers mailbox. then safely returned them to their nest when i was done. these bunnies were so cute. about 3 weeks later, i saw one of them runnnig out of the bushes. man they grow fast.

speaking of mowing mishaps. i was going down the road and saw an exmark lazer upside down in a ditch. i hope everyone was ok. there's something you don't see everyday. i would have stopped but they had a crew of about 4, so i figured they had it under control

Toatlandscape
08-06-2002, 06:54 PM
My 3 favorites were--1.The baseball that i picked up and shot thru a screen room and I mean thru went thru both sides $50 to fix screen. 2. A dog bone--sent it approx 70 ft thru a car window, got lucky with that one customer insisted it was their fault for leaving it in yard. 3. Approx 25 ft of silt fence 2ft high black plastic stuff. took 45 minutes to get it all out after removing blades. Sometimes you are very careful but stuff happens. Fortunately noone was standing nearby could have been bad. I now keep an EZ reach on the mower all the time.

FrankenScagMachines
08-06-2002, 08:01 PM
3/8" thick, 2' long logging chain,
pile of approx. (10) 3/4" x 3/4" x 6" solid steel tent stakes (more like railroad tie spikes!!!)
big heavy cast water meter cover/lid
rocks, ropes/strings, bottles and cans, the tape from inside a cassete tape (there for a while there was one vandal who repeatedly put that in my yard :angry: :angry: :angry: very messy) clods of mud, piles of dirt (from moles), mole tunnels, sticks, dog ****, dead mole (nasty), toads, garter snake, tarp straps, small chain, dog chew toys, small stumps that were cut low, small flowers and trees (they hate that :confused: :rolleyes: :p ) and a big 3/8" thick 2'x4' rubber mat, real heavy, mower sucked it right up and stalled the motor. Only one tear in the rug :D That happened while driving over a sidewalk...hollow steel poles about 3/4" diam. and 3' long, garden hoses, extension cords, all the usual stuff... can't think of anything extraordinary like Southside LOL.

Expert Lawns
08-06-2002, 08:08 PM
hey southside, do you mow with a blindfold on?? geez thats a long list. a litter of kittens? that's some sort of record

goodbeus
08-06-2002, 08:18 PM
those plastic pool filter covers that are usually mounted into the concrete on inground pools that are about 1 foot in diameter...I've sucked a few of them up, as well as other stuff you other guys posted...just didn't see tose listed...

Runner
08-06-2002, 08:55 PM
While we're on the subject of hitting things, probably the most unusual thing I've ever even HEARD of to hit happened to US. While cutting down a yard that was a new account that this guy had just moved into, we were cutting grass that was almost waste high. As I looked across the yard, I saw my worker pulling something which appeared to be an old twisted up blanket or large towel out from underneath the deck. As I approached, I learned that it was someones Boa.......that's right a snake! This poor thing was cut nearly in two and had to be 8" across. We put it out of it's misery by decappitation with a shovel and buried in the nearby woods. I didn't know what to do, so I called the police and they said all they can do is tell someone if they call in what happened. Oh yeah, this was about 5 years ago, and Mike, my worker that hit it is STILL called "snake man".

Brickman
08-06-2002, 10:41 PM
Bushhogboy cassette tape film and rubber foot mats all go bye bye nicely with a mulching deck. LOL :D
There are a lot of pieces!!

FrankenScagMachines
08-07-2002, 09:35 AM
Brickman, the cassete tape-tape got under my 48" 3 blade Wheel Horse garden tractor, the big rubber mat was very big and thick I was surprised that the mower sucked it up I didn't expect it to. I was on a JD M655 54"/25hp with the 7-iron side discharge deck. Lot of vacuum on that deck let me tell you! That was at a JD dealership (worked for them) so it was thier welcome mat I zapped.
Both mowers were side discharge and the mat stalled the 25hp Kohler on the JD. Got a laugh outta that once I realized nothing was damaged.

parkmaster
08-28-2002, 10:46 PM
when i started working for the parks i used a bush hog to do rough areas. mowed over dead animals, rocks
(not blade friendly) barbed wire a mess under deck
rope :angry: news paper, tree stumps while turning tore gearbox off mower deck :(
oh yes those dreaded manhole covers
still LOL with this thread :D :laugh: :D

Scag48
08-29-2002, 01:36 AM
I've only hit birds and dog doo with the mower. Not a whole lot. Almost hit some electrical cords and small dog chains. Dead birds smell BAD! I almost hurled one day at the smell of it. Really gross.

J & B Lawncare
12-20-2005, 09:29 PM
While I hit all the common items, the worst thing was when I picked up trash. I was riding along a creek that split the one job. During heavy rains this creek would overflow the banks and deposite all sorts of trash. I would lean over reel quick and grab the junk. I had to be carefull or the safety switch would shut the tractor off. I reach down and grab the trash throwing it into the trailer I was towing. So I grab this old radiator hose and find a large snake in my hand. I could not get outta there quick enough. Now 15 years later it's quite funny.

J & B

ffemt1271
12-20-2005, 09:57 PM
i ran over a claw hammer, extension cords, rope, blankets, metal band off an 18 wheeler smokestack, beer bottles, and hit my head on a clay flower pot hanging on a low limb( paying attention to how close to flower bed i was and not what was hanging in the tree)

Signature Landscaping1
12-20-2005, 10:38 PM
I ve ran over- My phone, sprinkler heads, drain pipes , steel wire(the things u tie ur dog up to) bags, rocks, rope, snakes, mice, tennis balls, baseballs
and my dad was using my mower out back and he ran over a Tarp.

P & L Turf
12-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Squirrels, rats, leashes, phone lines, sprinkler heads, kid toys, ree bar, water main caps, etc. You name it we've more than likely hit it. Lucked out on almost everyone. Never broke anything, just the occasional bent blade. We try not to do this, but you can't always see in new sod thats knee high.:nono:

jimslawns
12-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Doing leaf clean ups the other day I discovered a cast barbell, very hard on the QDS system

Lawnworks
12-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Ran over my foot last spring.... ouch! 19,000rpms did a number on my foot!

MarcSmith
12-21-2005, 08:58 AM
I was trmming some palm trees and had the truck in the greenway areas of a town house complex. I did not see the 3' tall pale green phone junction box as i was moving the truck....Ther are lots of pretty colored wires. thank fully i was going slow and did not break or disconect the wires. I stood the "mini'tower" back up and went on about my business. I did ask a few of the people that were home if their phones were working...they were. soi I figured I was OK...

Jpocket
12-21-2005, 09:56 AM
My right foot!

JBird
12-21-2005, 12:15 PM
A concrete form pin. about 1" in diameter, driven down in the ground about a foot or so by kids I guess at the soccer park. They were kind they only left about 2" sticking up, just enough to get under the front lip edge of the deck. JD 737 with high lifts. I was amazed, cut it off like a hacksaw, smooth as glass. Left a good size nick in the blade but that was all it did! Made one hell of a noise

topsites
12-21-2005, 01:00 PM
While doing leaves last fall, I ran over a dead squirrel. The vaccum on the Grasshopper sucked it right up. The down side, it stunk so bad that I had to dump the leaves right away.

dead cats suck.

Cats have a way of crawling off someplace to die, why they pick my lawns, I do not know.

And yes, I've hit my own caster, too.. The worst part is how it slices up the tire.

Newspapers and magazines really suck thou, they make a mess!

meathead1134
12-21-2005, 01:17 PM
I hit a raised hole cover with my plow a few weeks ago that scared the Sh&# out of me. no damage to either truck or cover

Birdjr
12-21-2005, 06:28 PM
i ran over my fiberglass shovel its a goodthing homedepot took it back lmao

Signature Landscaping1
12-21-2005, 06:57 PM
i was plowing with my kubota last year during the blizzard, i couldnt see at all, and i hit my customers basketball hoop, bent it right over. ended up paying for some of the damage

MarcSmith
12-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Now that we are gettingin to snow. I was pushing some snow with our JD 250 Series 2 with a smooth bucket. I only had on the lap belt and I hit a manhole cover. the machine stoped dead and mY face planted on the cab door... I had a bloody nose and bruised my gums. I had a few loose teeth until the gums healed up. I'm glad no one was watching...but needless to say. the gloves and hat I had in the cab with me became emergency gauze...

Brianslawn
12-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Now that we are gettingin to snow. I was pushing some snow with our JD 250 Series 2 with a smooth bucket. I only had on the lap belt and I hit a manhole cover. the machine stoped dead and mY face planted on the cab door... I had a bloody nose and bruised my gums. I had a few loose teeth until the gums healed up. I'm glad no one was watching...but needless to say. the gloves and hat I had in the cab with me became emergency gauze...

youre starting to sound a little accident prone. :cry:

MarcSmith
12-22-2005, 08:51 AM
youre starting to sound a little accident prone. :cry:

But they are all spread out over several years....:)

Gary Campbell
12-24-2005, 08:14 PM
:) well, this is a funny thread...here is my list...

dead.....squirrel, mole, bird, possum, raccoon
live...rabbits, moles, mice, turtles....always upsets me

I once hit a 220 line a guy had just laid across his weedy back yard to his shop..wrapped it around my spindles, and it sparked and hissed...I was afraid to get off my rubber tires..finally jumped off though.

rolled up newspapers, have to be the worst mess in history
baseballs, really sail, as do golf balls
I mow an alcolol treatment place, they have a volley ball court, and a horseshoe court, you know what Ive hit there....

carpet pieces really like to wrap around blades, as do log chains...

:laugh:

South Florida Lawns
12-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Hit my dumb brother while on the Z. Backed into him and he burnt his leg on the muffler.

steve45
12-24-2005, 10:08 PM
I had cut some Yucca plants off at the base with my blade-equipped trimmer. My wife thought she could run over them with the mower and vacuum them up. Killed the 21 HP Scag. It took nearly an hour to get it all out. A Yucca plant is very fibrous, it's like running over a spool of nylon rope.

Jimbo046
12-24-2005, 10:30 PM
I don't cut grass anymore but back in highschool i was using a 48" exmark walkbehind. It was rush hour and traffic was at a stand still. I hit a smashed soda can and it flew out like a rocket right towards a car sitting in traffic, a young woman was driving a VW jetta with her window down!!!!!!! I was freaking out it seem like the can was in the air for minutes! I was leaning as much as I could trying to devert the can somehow when it slammed into the corner post of her car windsheild i turned acted like nothing happened and never made eye contact with her. Damn was I lucky! I spent about twice as long picking up trash from them on! But I used to love to hit tennis balls! I could hit them just right with a gravley promaster and send one at least 40-50yards.