PDA

View Full Version : is 4:30am too early?

1999frontier
05-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Is 4:30am too early to set timer to start watering? I've got 4 sprinklers in my lawn and I've set the timer for 45 minutes per sprinkler (zone). So it would stop watering at 7:30am. Is this ok or is it too early?

ajslands
05-11-2010, 07:07 PM
It is okay to water at that time. Heck you could even water at 4 am

AOD
05-11-2010, 07:30 PM
And I had thought this was about mowing at 4:30 in the morning!

some of the parks here, the irrigation starts at 10pm because it has so many zones to cycle through.

ajslands
05-11-2010, 07:42 PM

some of the parks here, the irrigation starts at 10pm because it has so many zones to cycle through.

I wonder what golf courses do?????

But if our parks have sprinkler systems, then you mus live in a very wealthy area and love paying high taxes
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawnut101
05-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Actually that is about the best time you can water your lawn.

Richard Martin
05-12-2010, 04:42 AM
I wake up around that time every day. One of the first things I do is start my daily watering. I don't have an underground sprinkler system so I have to move a tripod sprinkler all over my "lawn".

Merkava_4
05-12-2010, 05:27 AM

I did too ... I'm kinda disappointed to find out this thread's about sprinklers. :D

Kartanimal29
05-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Actually that is about the best time you can water your lawn.

Right on. You want to water about an hour before the sun comes up. Tho you may want to cut your run time down 45 min . is a long time. I set zones to run for 20 min. every other day, depending on how much sun the area gets. Less sun, less run time on that zone. The key is to get the root of the grass to chase the water down. By over watering ,45 min. a zone ,your not letting the root chase the water down.

1999frontier
05-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Right on. You want to water about an hour before the sun comes up. Tho you may want to cut your run time down 45 min . is a long time. I set zones to run for 20 min. every other day, depending on how much sun the area gets. Less sun, less run time on that zone. The key is to get the root of the grass to chase the water down. By over watering ,45 min. a zone ,your not letting the root chase the water down.

I thought I heard it is better to water long and deep instead of short and shallow to get the roots deeper. I don't have underground irrigation, I just have 4 spike sprinklers set on timer. So I should change and water each for 20 minutes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Runner
05-12-2010, 10:13 AM
It is not the time per zone, but the output that determines this. 45 minutes with 5/8 in. hose will be much different than a 1" line. Regardless of,...it is about a sure bet that 45 minutes is WAY too long. You could probably water less than half that if the ground has some residual moisture in it and be more effective.

dwost
05-12-2010, 10:25 AM
You will be fine. I have 9 zones in my system and mine run for 1.5hrs per zone, once every 7 days. This equates to about an inch of water per week. I start mine at 6pm and it runs through the night. You will not have an issue.

mowerbrad
05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I start my irrigation at 4:30a and have never had a problem. 4 zones get run 30 minutes each and 2 zones get run about 10 minutes each. This way everything is done by 7:00a.

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I wake up around that time every day. One of the first things I do is start my daily watering. I don't have an underground sprinkler system so I have to move a tripod sprinkler all over my "lawn".

We are in the same boat...whats the sense of having one if you can hardly ever use it due to watering bans or restrictions.

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Is 4:30am too early to set timer to start watering? I've got 4 sprinklers in my lawn and I've set the timer for 45 minutes per sprinkler (zone). So it would stop watering at 7:30am. Is this ok or is it too early?

Around here my lawn doesn't wake up until 5:30 so my grass would get angry if I woke it up with cold water at 4:30 without letting it sleep in.:rolleyes:

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I thought I heard it is better to water long and deep instead of short and shallow to get the roots deeper. I don't have underground irrigation, I just have 4 spike sprinklers set on timer. So I should change and water each for 20 minutes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Get yourself some tuna cans, turn off water when the cans reach 1/2". In your case, time the system to see how long that takes, then set your timer for that duration.

yardsmith
05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Watering at night is NOT GOOD. It attracts bugs, insects, diseases & other unwanted stuff. I always wondered about golf courses, because they water at night. Their answer? Because they have people there all day-you can't water while there are customers out on the course. So they have a substantial bill to go along with the water bill for fert & pesticide treatments

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
If watering at night or early morning is your only option to keep your lawn alive its worth the risk.
Posted via Mobile Device

SangerLawn
05-12-2010, 11:55 AM

430 in the morning is perfect. If you have too many zones then rotate the days of the week that the zones water. If you water at 10 at night you are asking for a disease. Diseases need 3 things to thrive. Heat, humidity, and moisture. By watering in the evening time you will allow moisture to sit on the foliage all night long…this will greatly multiply the chances of killing your lawn.

Always water between 4 AM and 9 am.

AOD
05-12-2010, 12:13 PM
But if our parks have sprinkler systems, then you mus live in a very wealthy area and love paying high taxes
Posted via Mobile Device

West side of the state. Even some of the grass medians that separate traffic have irrigation. They can't let those tulips dry up!

ajslands
05-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Oh ya I forgot about that, some medians around here have sprinkler systems too
Posted via Mobile Device

STIHL GUY
05-13-2010, 12:04 AM
I did too ... I'm kinda disappointed to find out this thread's about sprinklers. :D

yeah i was gonna say that 430 is a bit early for mowing but for watering your fine

ajslands
05-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Theirs a guy in the Michigan hreas that started mowing at 1230 am, but it was an industrial complex so the guys would have been there like 6 hours
Posted via Mobile Device

Kartanimal29
05-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I would change it to every other day for 20 min. and see how the lawn looks after a week or so. Make sure you put some kind of fert. down also. I wouldn't use Scott's but if that's all you can get use it. Try and find a LESCO dealer in your area.

Watering at night is NOT GOOD. It attracts bugs, insects, diseases & other unwanted stuff. I always wondered about golf courses, because they water at night. Their answer? Because they have people there all day-you can't water while there are customers out on the course. So they have a substantial bill to go along with the water bill for fert & pesticide treatments

100% right

rainbowss
05-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Best time would be right before/after the sun has risen. Do the east side of your lawn first and then move to the other parts.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
05-14-2010, 04:50 PM
As far as golf courses go, I used to be superintendent. It would be impossible to water all of your course at the optimal time, right before sunrise. What I alway did was water tees rough and fairways at night, greens woulf d get watered right before sunrise. I could only water one nine a night as far as fairways. As far as the water bills, most course have resorvoirs that they pump irrigation out of. We would fill our resorvoirs with wells we had on the course.
Posted via Mobile Device

cozymonkey
05-15-2010, 12:11 AM
I have found this to be my best option for watering.
MWF 430am and 9pm each zone 7 min and each zone once sun 430am for 7 mins

It depends on you sprinkler heads and their output 10 mins on a standard pop up and 10 mins impact rotor and 10 mins on a gear drive are all completely different things. I would never water anything for longer 30 mins.

tstutz
05-15-2010, 12:12 AM
lol i cant imagine mowing at 12:30. Might be kind of relaxing though. Sounds fun actually.
This is just another prime example of a beneficial thread to the person that is wanting to learn more about irrigation!

mdlwn1
05-15-2010, 12:21 AM
I have 80 something zones and start around 11:45. It doesnt really matter as long as you are actively managing the situation and know how to adjust to changing circumstances.

topsites
05-15-2010, 01:03 AM
To a point the earlier, the better.
I've got a system starts at 3: or 3:30, mostly so it doesn't interfere with the showers.

The only thing watering in the dark does is it promotes the growth of moss and certain fungi,
however a healthy lawn shouldn't have a problem, it's worse if by noon the yard's still dripping wet
and the sun beating down on it, if you get my drift.

Some systems, especially those that allow percentages will rotate their zones in effect
running through the entire process more than once, especially when set over 100.
These are the best kind to have, also setting the duration by the percent is a whole lot easier
than increasing every zone, once the system is balanced to water evenly...

Remember it's not in the frequency, it's in the duration.
I usually do 3 days a week 120%