PDA

View Full Version : 36" Dual Hydro - What Would You Do?

VT_Grassman
05-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I need to replace a mower fairly quickly and have the following choices from dealers - some close, some not so close - and BOP. (Exmark and Toro are WAY out of the budget.)
a) I WILL be mulching but left the mulching kit price out for all these mowers.
b) BOP availability may be a problem as I understand it is now 3+ weeks.
c) Electric start is not available on the Bobcat

They are listed from highest to lowest price in this list:
Ferris - "Comfort Control DD" (15HP KAI) - $4900
Bobcat Hydro w/DuraDeck (15HP KAI) - $4499
BOP Dually 36 (15HP KAI) - $3395

Do you agree with my ranking for quality of cut (for all conditions)?
1) Bobcat
2) Ferris
3) BOP

I really like the crank handle for adjusting cutting height for the Ferris but the price is a killer! They don't have a 36" model in the Hydrodrive line - which has no e-start and regular operator presence controls instead of the sensing ones - only a 48. That's too big for my requirements.

Any and all feedback is appreciated -

D Fricks
05-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Check out the Snapper Pro Hydro walkbehind same machine as ferris but alot cheaper Ive got the SW30 52'' deck great machine very smooth and a very good cut............

93Chevy
05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Check out the Snapper Pro Hydro walkbehind same machine as ferris but alot cheaper Ive got the SW30 52'' deck great machine very smooth and a very good cut............

Agreed...

Great machine for the price. I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy one. A 48" is $4200 base, so I'm sure a 36" might be a few grand cheaper.

ed2hess
05-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Agreed...

Great machine for the price. I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy one. A 48" is $4200 base, so I'm sure a 36" might be a few grand cheaper.

I also agree we have the 36" size Snapper Pro and like it a lot. It is just like Ferris except it doesn't have electric start but I think that is a plus. The Kawaski starts real easy.

93Chevy
05-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah, check out the link in my signature to see how well a 48" Snapper Pro cuts. I'm sure a 36" would leave just as nice of a cut.

And I can usually get my 48" started in 1-3 pulls, depending on how cold, etc.

zanemoseley
05-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Why is Toro out of question? I got a 40" hydro wb w/ floating deck and pistol grips for $3950 last year and so far love it.

VT_Grassman
05-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Why is Toro out of question? I got a 40" hydro wb w/ floating deck and pistol grips for $3950 last year and so far love it.

I'd prefer to stay away from pistol grips for comfort reasons. I was quoted $5,600 for the Toro 36 hydro w/T-bar controls. I know the controls on the Ferris (and Snapper) DO use pistol grip type controls but the "cruise control" bar allows you to adj the max speed so you aren't really using the full range of the squeeze all the time.

I looked at the Snapper online and agree that it is basically the Ferris w/o e-start. Closest dealer to me is about 60mi. It is a possibility -

zanemoseley
05-12-2010, 09:02 AM
The Toro pistol grips use the same kind of "cruise control", you set the speed and the pistol grips will only go out as far as you set it.

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Geez, I only paid $5500. for the huge 61"/23hp ferris DD last year, and they want $4900. for a 36" now?! That is crazy! Ferris does have a good cut quality though,and they will hardly ever clog, even in tall thick stuff. I think this is due to no front baffle on the deck, but who knows?. Ive never operated the Duallies, but lots of guys seem to love them.

unkownfl
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I know you have a deere dealer so get this. Has the controls you want and is far better than the BOP bobcat and ferris IMO.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/series/comm_wb_stand/lesco_walk/gc_lesco_walk_series.html

VT_Grassman
05-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I know you have a deere dealer so get this. Has the controls you want and is far better than the BOP bobcat and ferris IMO.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/series/comm_wb_stand/lesco_walk/gc_lesco_walk_series.html
Can the spec sheet on Deere's website be right? It says 708# WOW:weightlifter::weightlifter:

unkownfl
05-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Can the spec sheet on Deere's website be right? It says 708# WOW:weightlifter::weightlifter:

It's probably right I've had three of them and haven't had any issues on the turf though. Hydro mowers all weigh about that. The snapper is 550 but you can tell where its been cut out when you use one. It still gets the job done but the Lesco just feels like its made of solid steel. The other machines are all slower than the Lesco. The deck on the snapper is thinner too. The ferris uses a transaxle and I think the snapper does too. The lesco uses two pumps with two wheel motors which is better by far its like a ZTR rider hydro system.

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I'd prefer to stay away from pistol grips for comfort reasons. I was quoted $5,600 for the Toro 36 hydro w/T-bar controls. I know the controls on the Ferris (and Snapper) DO use pistol grip type controls but the "cruise control" bar allows you to adj the max speed so you aren't really using the full range of the squeeze all the time.

I looked at the Snapper online and agree that it is basically the Ferris w/o e-start. Closest dealer to me is about 60mi. It is a possibility -

Man if you tried the Tbar controls you would love it...its second nature in about 2 days of use.

The Snapper used to have the loop handle drives and I really liked them, not sure what they have now but stay far away from the thumb drive on the Ferris.

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 10:40 AM
That Snapper SW20 looks like a fine mower....especially for the price. Its says prices start at $3999...thats almost 2k cheaper than my Toro!

Shasta Lake Landscaping
05-12-2010, 11:07 AM
My vote is for the ferris/snapper pro. Its built extremely well...you can't tell where anythings been "cut out." Our has taken a lot of abuse and in no way shape or form has proven itself lesser then other brands. The quality of cut is one of the best I've had on a 36" too.

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
My vote is for the ferris/snapper pro. Its built extremely well...you can't tell where anythings been "cut out." Our has taken a lot of abuse and in no way shape or form has proven itself lesser then other brands. The quality of cut is one of the best I've had on a 36" too.

I just looked at them, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I love my Snapper Pro 21.
Posted via Mobile Device

VT_Grassman
05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Man if you tried the Tbar controls you would love it...its second nature in about 2 days of use.

Yeah, but to get the Tbar, you also jump to a floating deck and e-start.

That Snapper SW20 looks like a fine mower....especially for the price. Its says prices start at $3999...thats almost 2k cheaper than my Toro!

AND I just can't justify 5K for a mower right now!

AllSeasonServices
05-12-2010, 06:07 PM
A 36" with a floating deck and e start is kind of a waste of money and a bit on the heavy side IMO... Just be careful of the bobcat. the deck is welded directly to the frame ( not bolted like other makes) and I hear they crack there. Also they have unserviceable aluminum spindles not very strong. And where I am Toro has some of the best prices. I had read that stuff about Toro equipment being hard to get, and thats not true here either. Im thinking the dealers are jacking the price up where they are having trouble stocking Toro

93Chevy
05-12-2010, 07:03 PM

Same with my 48." You can see how well your cuts and you saw how well mine cut. Exmarks I've used at other companies don't cut as nice as mine, but maybe that's because I actually take care of my mower. Still though...hard to beat the quality, price, and final product of a Snapper Pro.

VT_Grassman
05-13-2010, 11:39 AM
OK, for the Ferris/Snapper Pro, in 36" it looks like I have the following options:

Snapper Pro SW20 36 $3999(list) - 13HP KAI manual start - pretty much the same machine (controls and chassis) as the Ferris HydroDrive (which comes only in a 48" - w/a B+S 16HP Vanguard)

Ferris Comfort Control DD 36 $5199(list) 16HP KAI, much better hand controls, the crank adjust for height of cut, and e-start. Deck, trans, chasis, etc. is identical to both the Ferris Hydrocut (one model down) or the Snapper Pro SW20.
Controls are so much better on the Confort Control DD but the $$ difference is :cry::cry:

unkownfl
05-13-2010, 02:36 PM
OK, for the Ferris/Snapper Pro, in 36" it looks like I have the following options:

Snapper Pro SW20 36 $3999(list) - 13HP KAI manual start - pretty much the same machine (controls and chassis) as the Ferris HydroDrive (which comes only in a 48" - w/a B+S 16HP Vanguard)

Ferris Comfort Control DD 36 $5199(list) 16HP KAI, much better hand controls, the crank adjust for height of cut, and e-start. Deck, trans, chasis, etc. is identical to both the Ferris Hydrocut (one model down) or the Snapper Pro SW20.
Controls are so much better on the Confort Control DD but the $$ difference is :cry::cry:

If you're going to spend that kind of cash why not get a stander?

VT_Grassman
05-13-2010, 04:08 PM
If you're going to spend that kind of cash why not get a stander?
Like every piece of equipment, IMO standers have both good and bad points to them. I believe they are still "evolving" and will either get more comfortable in the next couple of years or go away altogether and become a footnote in lawnmower history.
Also, for the hours that I spend mowing, I would actually prefer to walk.