PDA

View Full Version : Stamped vs Fabricated decks

cbegap
05-11-2010, 09:08 PM
I have heard a lot of anti stamped-deck talk and was wondering why everyone feels so much more in favor of fabricated decks. I have a stamped deck on a WB and it has better vacuum than my Ztr. Even having said that I still tend to prefer the idea of a fab deck over a stamped deck but I really don't know why. So is there some real issue with the stamped deck or is it just a perception? I have never had either of them have rust problems because I keep them painted and the wet crap off the tops. What are your opinions? Any bad experiences with stamped decks?

T.E.
05-11-2010, 09:47 PM
I had a toro z rider with the sfs deck I bent it very easily. I now have a grasshopper and I've ran into things on accident that that would've crumpled the stamped deck, and there is not so much as a dent. I'm also an ex welder.....I know that fabbed decks are stronger.

Lordtimothy
05-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Stamped Decks normally cut better from my point of view. However stamped decks are normally much lighter duty. Now there is some very strong stamped decks out there. Husqvarna's Combi Decks are stamped and made out of 7gauge steel. I also think some of John Deere 7 Iron decks are stamped if I remember correctly.

For the most part if you are a homeowner go with the stamped but if you are doing it for a living a Fab deck will stand up much better.

Timothy

mowerbrad
05-11-2010, 11:04 PM
All of John Deere's 7-iron decks are stamped. My bobcat and dixie chopper both had fabricated decks and my new deere obviously has the stamped deck like mentioned before. The dixie's deck was built quite heavy, lots of reinforcements. The bobcats deck wasn't quite as heavy duty as the dixie's but nonetheless, it still held up well. The deck on my Deere, is really heavy duty. I know many people say that the stamped decks are weak, but the deere deck is built quite tough and can handle alot.

Most homeowner decks are stamped, so that probably doesn't help the view on those decks.

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Always go with fabricated decks, stamped decks are crap and not worth it! but you wont likely see a stamped deck on any real commercial mower.

Sammy
05-12-2010, 01:27 AM
but you wont likely see a stamped deck on any real commercial mower.

So, You are saying that John Deere does not make a real commercial mower, because they have stamped decks ?

mowerbrad
05-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Always go with fabricated decks, stamped decks are crap and not worth it! but you wont likely see a stamped deck on any real commercial mower.

My JD 7iron deck can keep up with any deck on the market. I would put money on the JD deck being stronger than some of the fabricated decks on commercial mowers out there.

Not saying its the "god" of decks, just that its a well built deck that is built very strong.

mhaley927
05-12-2010, 08:37 AM
The difference between a Toro Timecutters stamped deck and a JD 7-Iron stamped deck is HUGE. Definately could have issues with the Timecutter deck being mangled. The difference between the 7-Iron and a manufactured deck is really probably negligable in real world situations (a perception thing).

You're two cents richer.

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 09:13 AM
The 7 iron deck is the exception here guys. Forgot all about JD when I wrote that. I was thinking of those really flimsy and cheap stamped decks like youd find on a craftsman or big box store brand, you know, the decks that are around 2" deep and you could likely bend it with your bare hands! BTW, how many mowers have a 7 Gauge deck? none except JD that I know of, that is an extremely tough deck.

brian mon
05-12-2010, 09:19 AM

I'll put this mower w/stamped deck up against any other "real commercial mower"

scagmanjosh
05-12-2010, 11:49 AM
The 7 iron deck is the exception here guys. Forgot all about JD when I wrote that. I was thinking of those really flimsy and cheap stamped decks like youd find on a craftsman or big box store brand, you know, the decks that are around 2" deep and you could likely bend it with your bare hands! BTW, how many mowers have a 7 Gauge deck? none except JD that I know of, that is an extremely tough deck.

Are you talking commercial? If so, several run 7 gauge decks. Scag does for sure, plus it has an extra 2 layers of 10 gauge on top of the 7 for the deck tops. Im pretty sure most of the commercial Exmarks, Gravelys, Hustlers etc, etc also run 7 gauge decks as well.

ucfbrian
05-12-2010, 01:03 PM
The big perception with stamped decks being bad is that most of the stamped decks out there that people deal with are on a residential grade machine. They are either made from 10 or 11 gauge metal most of the time and dont have any extra reinforcements around the edges. Now you take decks like the John Deere 7-Iron and the Husqvarna Combi Deck and they are 7 gauge stamped decks with reinforced edges to stand up to commercial use. Stamped does not always mean cheap but it is an easy way to manfacturer a piece of metal. Hell, look at the Audi R8 supercar, almost all of the body pieces on it are stamped out on it in a hydroform press.

castlerockmo
05-22-2010, 09:38 PM
BTW, how many mowers have a 7 Gauge deck? none except JD that I know of, that is an extremely tough deck.

the new husqvarna pz/dixon grizzly/yazoo-kees max3 are 7 gauge deck as well.

tacoma200
05-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Nothing wrong with a heavy gauge stamped deck such as the JD 7 irons.

demhustler
05-23-2010, 05:19 PM
The big perception with stamped decks being bad is that most of the stamped decks out there that people deal with are on a residential grade machine. They are either made from 10 or 11 gauge metal most of the time and dont have any extra reinforcements around the edges. Now you take decks like the John Deere 7-Iron and the Husqvarna Combi Deck and they are 7 gauge stamped decks with reinforced edges to stand up to commercial use. Stamped does not always mean cheap but it is an easy way to manfacturer a piece of metal. Hell, look at the Audi R8 supercar, almost all of the body pieces on it are stamped out on it in a hydroform press.

exactly
"fabricated, not stamped" - only sales trick (they expect customer to be stupid, like their salesmen
in reality stamped deck, of course, much stronger, better shape and weight then same metal "fabricated"; most mower manufacturers make welded decks, which easier to produce (they need only welder, but not humongous press, which they can't afford) - all matter of metal,- thicker metal - bigger (and more expensive press)
on pro stamped decks can be put as many reinforcements as needed (or as in "fabricated decks"; triple or quadruple it
and from other side- funny if they try to "manufacture" deck from such thin metal as stamped, and expect it to hold w/o reinforcements, as stamped...