PDA

View Full Version : Ever challenge a city ordinance?

Smitty58
05-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I have a neighbor on the city council who calls the code enforcement officer every time I park my trailer in the driveway. I'm sick of hearing about this. I've tried numerous different parking arrangements but the best solution for me is parking it in the driveway. I am thinking about challenging their ordinance ,but am wondering if anyone has a similar experience with this. There are tons of so called code violations around my area ,but seeminly no one cares except for my pain in the neck council member neighbor.

yardguy28
05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
I have a neighbor on the city council who calls the code enforcement officer every time I park my trailer in the driveway. I'm sick of hearing about this. I've tried numerous different parking arrangements but the best solution for me is parking it in the driveway. I am thinking about challenging their ordinance ,but am wondering if anyone has a similar experience with this. There are tons of so called code violations around my area ,but seeminly no one cares except for my pain in the neck council member neighbor.

i'm curious if it isn't in your driveway can i assume it would be in the street infront of your house??? i would think your neighbhor would rather you have it in your driveway vs. the street but some people just like to @ssholes!!!

Smitty58
05-11-2010, 09:33 PM
No I have room to park it in the side yard, but it has messed up the grass. I wanted to put down a gravel parking area but they won't let me do that either. So much more convenient for me in the drive. It's only a enclosed 6x12.

delphied
05-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Move to the skanky side of town.

Think Green
05-11-2010, 10:02 PM
This seems to be a neighbor that is flashing around his so-called authority.
I would look into this violation and do some of your own research and if this persists, try to refrain from these violations. I have seen it when someone who challenged the city and their board member, there license or privilege license was permanently revoked.
Build a fence between you and your neighbor tall enough that he can't see the trailer, or is this a violation too?????

Hawg City Lawns
05-11-2010, 10:24 PM
play his game read up on your little codes and see if hes breaking them if he is turn him in

mowerbrad
05-11-2010, 10:40 PM
No I have room to park it in the side yard, but it has messed up the grass. I wanted to put down a gravel parking area but they won't let me do that either. So much more convenient for me in the drive. It's only a enclosed 6x12.

I think its time to get creative with this. They won't let you put down a gravel parking area, but I bet you could put a "planting bed" there. You could always get some mulch or stone and a couple cheap plants on the edges and "poof" you've got yourself a new landscape bed (aka parking space). And it just so happens that this new landscape bed is a perfect fit for your trailer.

grassman177
05-11-2010, 10:48 PM
I think its time to get creative with this. They won't let you put down a gravel parking area, but I bet you could put a "planting bed" there. You could always get some mulch or stone and a couple cheap plants on the edges and "poof" you've got yourself a new landscape bed (aka parking space). And it just so happens that this new landscape bed is a perfect fit for your trailer.

that is suprisingly good and i bet you could do it too!

sdk1959
05-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I have a neighbor on the city council who calls the code enforcement officer every time I park my trailer in the driveway. I'm sick of hearing about this. I've tried numerous different parking arrangements but the best solution for me is parking it in the driveway. I am thinking about challenging their ordinance ,but am wondering if anyone has a similar experience with this. There are tons of so called code violations around my area ,but seemingly no one cares except for my pain in the neck council member neighbor.

Exactly what does the ordinance state? I would think if you can challenge a zoning ordinance you surely could challenge a parking one. You might have to consult with a lawyer for his advice but I don't think you would have to retain one.

Also when did they pass this ordinance? If you were parking it there all along before it passed you may be able to make a challenge on that basis.

theheisk
05-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Daym, I love living in the country! You guys that have to put up with stuff like that have all my respect! Good luck with your challange and I think Brad has a good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

heather lawn sp
05-11-2010, 11:24 PM
My thoughts are that he is challenging you running a business operation from a residential neighbourhood. We moved out to our present location 15 years ago to avoid this problem.

heather lawn sp
05-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Move to the skanky side of town.

yeah like we did. the neighbourhood includes:
plumber
earthworm grower
excavator and snow plower
house painter
siding installer
staircase manufacturer
paving contractor and snow plower
bicycle wholesaler
mowing contractor and snowplower

All of them living where they work, houses in front, shops in behind

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Trenton OH is kind of a snobby area, so this kind of thing is to be expected. And if you live in an HOA subdivision, you were asking for trouble by even towing a trailer into the neighborhood! There was another thread on this topic awhile back and all the goofy laws HOAs have and get away with enforcing. Most HOAs, you can not even park a pick up truck in the driveway, so be glad yours isnt that bad! IF it gets to bad, try to work out some kind of arrangement with the neighbor, maybe offer to service his yard for free, if he will look the other way when you park the trailer there? or maybe some landscaping work? Its never a good idea to start something with a neighbor, it will only get worse, and if he is a city council member, he will win everytime, no matter what!

T.Brandon
05-12-2010, 12:35 AM
I have the same problem. My trailer can't even be backed behind my property line bc they say it is ''Commercial advertisement'' even thought my neighbors house is like 15-20 ft from mines and passing cars can not see it from the street. I've been threatend with fines, court subpoenas, etc. Even hooked to my truck. I just leave it in middle of the street lol

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Thats why I will not move into an HOA! I cant understand why people do in the first place? Theres not many advantages to it.

Richard Martin
05-12-2010, 04:30 AM
If you're allowed to park on the grass but can't because it tears up the grass you need some turf tiles. Pretty cool stuff. The grass will still grow but you can drive on it. I've seen this done before with dump trucks and other heavy vehicles. Works great.

http://www.norfoss.com/landscaping/turf-grass-reinforcement-grid/grass-turf-tiles-lawn-reinforcement.html

Nosmo
05-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Thanks Richard for the info on this product. Another good idea from a manufacturer.

Nosmo

Smitty58
05-12-2010, 11:09 AM
The ordinance says trailers have to be behind the front of the house. So either in the side or back yard. However there are a bunch of homes here that don't have enough room to park a trailer on the side. I do have room but parking on grass just ends up killing the grass and of course it looks bad. When I attempted to put gravel down they told me I could not do that either. Of course pouring concrete would solve it but it's expensive. So all the guys who use trailers that can't fit them in the side or back just park them on the drive. Why then just because I have room should I be forced to do so. The complainer is a single 60 something woman on the council. She calls every time I park in the driveway. My biggest question is if I choose to push it can they really do anything other than send me letters and call to complain?
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:42 AM
If you're allowed to park on the grass but can't because it tears up the grass you need some turf tiles. Pretty cool stuff. The grass will still grow but you can drive on it. I've seen this done before with dump trucks and other heavy vehicles. Works great.

http://www.norfoss.com/landscaping/turf-grass-reinforcement-grid/grass-turf-tiles-lawn-reinforcement.html

An old alternative were concrete blocks hole side facing up and filled with dirt and planted with seed, plugs or sprigs. The stuff you linked is use in shopping malls for Christmas season parking overflow...its a great idea.

Would it be possible to get a magnet or some other type of cover for the logo on your trailer?

yardsmith
05-12-2010, 11:43 AM
park it on the street right in front of her house:rolleyes:

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:44 AM
park it on the street right in front of her house:rolleyes:

Most places have an ordinance preventing a vehicle from parking in a street for more than 24 hours...even if its out in the county in a subdivision.

br549oicu8
05-12-2010, 01:28 PM
The ordinance says trailers have to be behind the front of the house. So either in the side or back yard. However there are a bunch of homes here that don't have enough room to park a trailer on the side. I do have room but parking on grass just ends up killing the grass and of course it looks bad. When I attempted to put gravel down they told me I could not do that either. Of course pouring concrete would solve it but it's expensive. So all the guys who use trailers that can't fit them in the side or back just park them on the drive. Why then just because I have room should I be forced to do so. The complainer is a single 60 something woman on the council. She calls every time I park in the driveway. My biggest question is if I choose to push it can they really do anything other than send me letters and call to complain?
Posted via Mobile Device

This is just another business expense and a growing pain. Wait 'till you grow some more and have to move out entirely. We did just that, but in the long run we have expanded 300% plus by being in a properly zoned commercial area.
It goes with the territory.....

flatlander42
05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Most places have an ordinance preventing a vehicle from parking in a street for more than 24 hours...even if its out in the county in a subdivision.

Just leave it there for ......oh, 22hrs! :)

yardguy28
05-12-2010, 07:26 PM

thats what i have. thankfully i have no problem with anyone turning me in. i park it in the driveway 99% of the time.

sdk1959
05-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

It doesn't state if there is a fine? I would spend a hundred bucks and show the ordinance to a lawyer, the township may have no grounds for passing the ordinance.

There's a local real estate broker near my neighborhood that could not put up a sign for her business. So you know what she did? She got a late 1980's cargo van and had it painted with her sign. Big,big sign. She just gets the van inspected once a year and probably has vintage vehicle insurance on it which is very cheap. Van is over 15 years old, seldom driven. Sign problem solved.

Vehicle is inspected and insured so the township can't say it's an abandoned vehicle.

It's sits right on the corner on a very busy road so she gets alot of exposure and I'm sure many clients from it.

There may be a way around your ordinance or it could be challenged, consult with a lawyer, you don't need to retain one just need their advice. Good Luck.

Trevor8
05-12-2010, 08:21 PM
the council member i mow for has me mow the park area right behind his house because the city is lazy as S**t

old timer
05-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Richard Martin,
I looked at the web site for this product and also goolged it but could not find where it could be purchased. Do you have any info or did you just see the sight on the web.
Thanks

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 10:46 PM
It doesn't state if there is a fine? I would spend a hundred bucks and show the ordinance to a lawyer, the township may have no grounds for passing the ordinance.

There's a local real estate broker near my neighborhood that could not put up a sign for her business. So you know what she did? She got a late 1980's cargo van and had it painted with her sign. Big,big sign. She just gets the van inspected once a year and probably has vintage vehicle insurance on it which is very cheap. Van is over 15 years old, seldom driven. Sign problem solved.

Vehicle is inspected and insured so the township can't say it's an abandoned vehicle.

It's sits right on the corner on a very busy road so she gets alot of exposure and I'm sure many clients from it.

There may be a way around your ordinance or it could be challenged, consult with a lawyer, you don't need to retain one just need their advice. Good Luck.

That is pretty slick of her! But if the city wanted the sign/truck gone, they could find a way! cities are like that, they typically over abuse their power sometimes, since they know not that many people are going to go up against them on anything And if it is in a HOA area, you can never win, they will beat you everytime! HOAs are almost like little Nazi Germanys with dictatorships running the places!

topsites
05-12-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm not so sure challenging an ordinance is such a good idea,
I believe it would involve getting a petition signed and the entire
thing needs to be documented and presented to the board and
whatever process it is they follow, but that still doesn't mean
you will win, rather it merely gives you the chance at an audition.

That, or as someone else suggested go speak to an attorney...

Whole lot of trouble to go through, in the end it has to do with the zoning,
because I'm guessing you're zoned residential so what they're talking about
is to have your zoning amendment changed to agricultural, except that's one
of those things... You can request it but it's better if it happens on its own.

So I would just park in back and let it kill the grass, now it's not your problem.

bd44
05-13-2010, 01:52 AM
if it's a public street, park your rig smack in from of her house for as long as you can. Then move it. You'll pay or she will play, either way. Just keep some doughnuts at the house to make the cops happy. Jelly :) Find infractions at her house, when they don't do anything, it's disparaging (sp? leagal term) treatment. Or just Tide her yard some night before it rains :P

Richard Martin
05-13-2010, 03:58 AM
Richard Martin,
I looked at the web site for this product and also goolged it but could not find where it could be purchased. Do you have any info or did you just see the sight on the web.
Thanks

That sort of product is normally found at real lumber yards, not Lowes or the Home Depot, and larger professionally run landscape supply centers. You can also click on their Contact link and find locations where Norfoss retailers are located. There are several suppliers of the plastic lawn grid and a little Googling will find more.

cgaengineer
05-13-2010, 06:03 AM
You might try getting a special use permit or claim a hardship.
Posted via Mobile Device