PDA

View Full Version : My new GrassHopper mid mount

doublesharp
05-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Just got a brand new 226v 52" cut 26 hp Brigs. New series for GH. Entry level commercial. Same pumps and deck, plastic 12 gal gas tank, cheaper seat but the guts are the same. Only has 2 grease fittings, one on each front wheel. That doesn't seem right after using A Dixie Chopper for the last 10 years but the factory rep said everything was sealed and maintenance free. I'm easy on my equipment but we'll see. $6527 out the door, tax etc. I love the easy height adjustment and the cut quality is just right. I prefer the Dixie Velvet Touch steering but the GH rides much better and is stickier on a slope.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/doublesharp/BILD0035.jpg

after the ROPS came off
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/doublesharp/BILD0048.jpg

Old Dixie in the background
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/doublesharp/BILD0049.jpg

rain man
05-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Looks like a nice machine. Heard they do ride good.

N.TX
05-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Hey looks nice. I have 2 grasshoppers and love them.

Sammy
05-12-2010, 01:50 AM
So new, they don't have that model on their web site yet !

Richard Martin
05-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Nice mower! I see a lot of Grasshoppers around me.

You can't really compare that old Dixie Estate mower to the Grasshopper. They're in 2 different classes.

wunderbrad
05-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Just an FYI. It should have a total of 5 grease fittings. One on each front wheel, and one on each of the spindles on top of the deck. If it doesn't, I'm going to be very angry with Grasshopper. I'm a Grasshopper dealer here in Central Texas, just got my first shipment of the 226Vs today, 2 with a 52", 2 with a 61". I don't have them out of the crate yet but I'm excited about the new models.

Hawg City Lawns
05-17-2010, 04:01 PM
im gonna have to give grasshopper a try again i demod a 100 series a few years back didnt like it very much it was so small pretty much uncomfortable for me but id like it to have the folding rops btw that dixie still looks great

T.E.
05-17-2010, 10:24 PM
I've had a 223 for yrs, and the thing is a tank....I forgot how nice mine used to look. I didn't know they even put a Briggs on them. Mine was 7400.00 5 yrs ago.

groundskeeperllc
05-18-2010, 06:14 PM
looks like they went away with the springs on the deck lift, and are those front caster arm bolted on? looks like a decent entry level commercial mower. The rep. told me these were going to be coming out but i thought they were going to have kohler courage's on them. good luck with your machine, i love my two grasshoppers

groundskeeperllc
05-18-2010, 06:15 PM
does that floor pan flip up also ,it doesn't look like it does

tstutz
05-19-2010, 10:16 PM
that dixie looks super plain. Maybe its just me but man

Richard Martin
05-20-2010, 06:36 AM
that dixie looks super plain. Maybe its just me but man

It's the Estate model. Long before all of the other manufacturers jumped on the consumer level ZTR Dixie had the Estate. It was a completely stripped down mower. It didn't even have stainless steel. It had a standard seat with no armrests, standard engine, painted foot pan and body panels, a pain in the ass to adjust deck (compared to other Dixies), smaller tires and stuff like that. Estate mowers always had the red painted frame. It was priced at $4995.00.

Chadly1980
05-31-2010, 01:26 AM
That thing looks great! I want to know more info about it badly. I wish grasshopper would update their site. I am in the market for a 225 with a 52" deck...but this thing sounds more in my budget. I really want to do a comparison of the two side by side to see what the differences are between them. It's for my personal property and that's it...so i really don't need a 225, so this 226V should more like what I need. Please post any other comments or knowledge about the two machines!

CaptPat
05-31-2010, 10:38 AM
I recently purchased a 329B dealer demo and I really like it, good luck with your new 223V

doublesharp
07-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Thread back from the dead. The 226V is on the website now. I'm really happy with my machine. There was a recall to put a shield on the gas tank under the seat. Said a fan blade could fly off and gash the tank. Dealer came to my house and took care of it. And it does have 5 grease fittings.

My old Dixie was a 2000 anniversary model. I paid 4995, same price as the first ones were in 1980. It was stripped down but did have the same wheel pumps and the velvet touch steering. I kept that 17hp Kohler command at about 3750 no load rpms and it was a cutting machine. Only had a 3 gallon gas tank and it would beat you to death with those little tires and hard seat. Still, it gave me 10 years of good service and I got $3100 for it on a fast sale, out of my front yard.

I've added a hitch and a tiny tach and, of course, my memory foam pillow.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/doublesharp/BILD0186.jpg

malinois1
09-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Where did you get the hitch?

doublesharp
09-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Ebay. Here's a link. Seller was first rate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grasshopper-Mid-Mount-Zero-Turn-Trailer-Hitch-/170538339422?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b4e08c5e

malinois1
09-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks! I just bought one! Any pics of the tach?

doublesharp
09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
No pic, but I mounted the tach on the light slot. Grounded to the rops base and wrapped the tach wire around the plug wire. I ordered directly from Tiny tach. Here's a link.
http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/gasoline.php

MJB
07-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Im reviving this old thread to see how you feel about your 226v after 3 yrs?
how does it perform on hills?

MJB
07-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Just an FYI. It should have a total of 5 grease fittings. One on each front wheel, and one on each of the spindles on top of the deck. If it doesn't, I'm going to be very angry with Grasshopper. I'm a Grasshopper dealer here in Central Texas, just got my first shipment of the 226Vs today, 2 with a 52", 2 with a 61". I don't have them out of the crate yet but I'm excited about the new models.

Are you still a ghopper dealer and how are the 226v holding up?

retrodog
07-22-2013, 02:47 AM
One of my best sellers in th gh line. They are redesigned this year, high end cordova seat, cyclonic briggs, alot beefier looking machine holding up very well for both home and commercial use. Trannys surprise me to be pump and wheel motors seperate on a $7000 machine and not be integrated like everyone else now.. 2 grease zerts was right, gh went to greasable spindles now. Foldable rops is an option...

Richard Martin
07-22-2013, 07:56 AM
It may seem petty but GrassHoppers don't do a thing for me. The reason is the color. There's a very good reason car and truck manufacturers don't sell tan or brown vehicles. Vehicle with those colors are always the last to move off of the lot. It's hard to make those colors look brand new.

orangemower
07-22-2013, 08:14 AM
It may seem petty but GrassHoppers don't do a thing for me. The reason is the color. There's a very good reason car and truck manufacturers don't sell tan or brown vehicles. Vehicle with those colors are always the last to move off of the lot. It's hard to make those colors look brand new.

So you're judging the book by it's cover?

Mowingman
07-22-2013, 09:04 AM
This comment is just like when people say they don't Dixie Choppers, because they "look funny".
Grasshopper makes great machines. I have always liked the colors they use. They are a nice change from all those other red or orange mowers. The brown and tan colors don't fade out nearly as bad as red and orange. A little wax and touchup paint will keep the Grasshoppers, (which are powder-coated), looking like new for many years.

Richard Martin
07-22-2013, 10:12 AM
So you're judging the book by it's cover?

This comment is just like when people say they don't Dixie Choppers, because they "look funny".
Grasshopper makes great machines. I have always liked the colors they use. They are a nice change from all those other red or orange mowers. The brown and tan colors don't fade out nearly as bad as red and orange. A little wax and touchup paint will keep the Grasshoppers, (which are powder-coated), looking like new for many years.

I do agree with all points. And yes, Dixies do get judged by their looks and not their performance. And I'm sure that GrassHopper makes a great mower. But I just don't care for the mowers based solely on their paint choice.

malinois1
09-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Im reviving this old thread to see how you feel about your 226v after 3 yrs?
how does it perform on hills?

Im not the op, but I also bought a 226V 3 years ago. I still love mine as much as the day I bought it. 250 hrs on it so far and the only work I have done on it is changed the Oil, filters,,blades, spark plugs, and greased the 2 zerts every 10 hrs or so. I have never even changed a belt or spindle yet and they still look like they are in decent condition. This is by far the best mower I have ever owned. In fact my next mower will very likely be another hopper, though I will likely get a 25hp diesel engine instead.

MJB
09-07-2013, 01:28 AM
Im not the op, but I also bought a 226V 3 years ago. I still love mine as much as the day I bought it. 250 hrs on it so far and the only work I have done on it is changed the Oil, filters,,blades, spark plugs, and greased the 2 zerts every 10 hrs or so. I have never even changed a belt or spindle yet and they still look like they are in decent condition. This is by far the best mower I have ever owned. In fact my next mower will very likely be another hopper, though I will likely get a 25hp diesel engine instead.

Thanks I was seriously looking at them and really like them but I just didn't have enough dealer support to put my hands on one. So I went with the Exmark Pioneer S which I have good dealer support and I love the mower.

JCLawn and more
09-07-2013, 08:54 AM
One of my best sellers in th gh line. They are redesigned this year, high end cordova seat, cyclonic briggs, alot beefier looking machine holding up very well for both home and commercial use. Trannys surprise me to be pump and wheel motors seperate on a $7000 machine and not be integrated like everyone else now.. 2 grease zerts was right, gh went to greasable spindles now. Foldable rops is an option...

but they always look good dirty :cool2::cool2:

StanWilhite
09-07-2013, 06:17 PM
About 35-40 years ago I was surprised to find out that people in some countries eat chocolate covered insects.....and one of their favorites was chocolate covered grasshoppers.

So, you can understand (because of the color and name) why every time I see one of these mowers, I think "chocolate covered grasshopper"! :laugh:

MJB
09-07-2013, 06:55 PM
About 35-40 years ago I was surprised to find out that people in some countries eat chocolate covered insects.....and one of their favorites was chocolate covered grasshoppers.

So, you can understand (because of the color and name) why every time I see one of these mowers, I think "chocolate covered grasshopper"! :laugh:

Watch out, If you try one you might find you like them. haha

StanWilhite
09-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Watch out, If you try one you might find you like them. haha

They look like they're built awfully well!