PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Mower Deck

hmc610
05-11-2010, 11:31 PM
What do You use to clean your deck? Do use a plastic or metal putty knife or high pressure wash? Also do you treat your deck with Fluid Flim or some other product?

Sammy
05-12-2010, 12:27 AM
putty knife.

The Captain
05-12-2010, 12:38 AM
I bought one of the GrassBuster knives at Louisville in 2008. It's kind of a glorified stiff putty knife with rounded corners. It does work pretty good though. I clean my deck everytime I change out the blades, which is usually everyother day. I don't treat my deck with anything. If I did I'd probably use Pam (by the case @ Sam's Club) and save the Fluid Film for where I really need it.

Mickhippy
05-12-2010, 02:28 AM
I use a BBQ spatula!

KrayzKajun
05-12-2010, 04:19 AM
pressure washer!!!

Nosmo
05-12-2010, 05:23 AM
I've made up a couple good scrapers out of electrical conduit. I have one about 3 feet long and a shorter one. I flattened out one end and have bent it to look like a small hoe.

It scrapes real well and I can reach all the way across the underside of the deck from either side. And yes I jack the mower up so I can see what needs to be removed.

Nosmo

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Once or twice a year I pull the 4 pins on my floating deck, remove it and really scrape it good. I will also put a coat of paint on the underside...most of the paint comes off, but in the seams where they didn't weld...it lasts about a year...these seams are where water will sit and rust. For all the in between cleanings I use a putty knife and a Snap-On floor jack.

johnwon
05-12-2010, 07:32 AM
If you have any grass that has got hard as cement, I've found that PB BLASTER works pretty good. Just spray enough to absorb thoroughly, I let it absorb overnite, scrapes of much more easily.

bryansong
05-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Johnwon,

You stated

One of the best songs ever!! Hear for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHQ_aTjXObs

I agree, thanks for sharing that video with us, I went and watched it. I love that song

age 54 and was able to see Skinnard in Kansas City in the mid 70's. They have a lot of great songs.

Bryansong

grassman177
05-12-2010, 06:51 PM
hye bryan song, nice to see a semi local. do you deal with odell tractor for your scag?

yardguy28
05-12-2010, 07:57 PM
If you have any grass that has got hard as cement, I've found that PB BLASTER works pretty good. Just spray enough to absorb thoroughly, I let it absorb overnite, scrapes of much more easily.

i wouldn't say i've had grass that hard but if you have hard grass that won't come off just mow a whole day of wet grass and when you go to clean the deck all the wet grass will take the hard stuff with it.

johnwon
05-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks bryansong for the compliment on the song, "it's a gooder" for sure.

yardguy28, I can see how that would most likely work. The dry packed grass would absorb the moisture and become easy to remove.

bryansong
05-13-2010, 10:19 AM
hye bryan song, nice to see a semi local. do you deal with odell tractor for your scag?

Hello grassman177

I didn't know O'Dell handles Scag mowers. I once bought a used Walker from them but am not too keen about one of their salesmen. I acturlly live about 2 miles North of them. I bought my Wildcat from the Mower Doctor in Bucyrus Kansas.

603turfdepot
08-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Just to give a quick update for anyone interested the GrassBuster Tool is still around. It is an excellent tool to use for cleaning a deck. You can buy it at http://www.propartsdirect.net/pages/CustomCatalog/Product/17428

weve
08-13-2013, 08:24 PM
I use a bee hive tool for scraping. It's rigid and has a 90 degree bend on one end. It works well for me except when the clippings get hard like epoxy.