PDA

View Full Version : To Many Lawn Services?

CJIII
07-09-2002, 04:56 PM
Hey guys I got a question? I would like to know is there ever to many lawn services in a area. I think so. I am haveing doubts about starting me a lawn service. I would like to know what should I do?

Scraper
07-09-2002, 05:22 PM
Move?

j/k

Seriously though, how many have been around for a while? Around these parts if you pull up to a traffic light and don't see at least three other crews at the same intersection you would start worrying about the economy. However, there is plenty of work to go around up here. I don't know about where you are. Population? Economy? Just some factors you must address.

CJIII
07-09-2002, 06:02 PM
most of the time I see one or maybe two or more somtimes. but I have to get the other ifo.

CLM1103
07-09-2002, 06:10 PM
CJ11...Also look carefully at the quality of what they are selling. There may be an opportunity for someone doing that little extra for quality work.. Word spreads fast. Good luck!:blob3:

lawnkid
07-09-2002, 06:41 PM
Yeah I hear ya! I counted five ful pages of lawnservice providers in the phone book on the wekend. It's getting a bit out of control. Everyone thinks it's easy money and then they charge cheap and put the guys who really put quality into their work out of business. A**holes! We'll gettum back. I think it's just for a bit cause the ecnonomy in bad and everyone is loosing their jobs.

awm
07-09-2002, 07:28 PM
yea i can agree with u on that:D
jus might be too many.nah we need a few more.

RMDoyon
07-09-2002, 08:07 PM
Based on this and previous posts by you, you should wait until next season.
Especially given the fact that it is July and you do not seem prepared.

Roger

KDJ
07-09-2002, 09:55 PM
I hear that all the time in central Florida, and still don't get it. Yes everywere you look Truck and trailer with mowers on it. So what ?!!! Every were you look there is Gas Stations, Banks, Supermarkets, Auto Repair Shops, Malls so on and so on............
There all BUSY!!!! When I tell some one that they alway say"I never thought of that"

I can only speak of Central Florida

Likestomow
07-09-2002, 10:11 PM
How many customers do you need to support yourself, 50 -- 80? I live in an area of about 300,000, so if each lawn service had that many, there would be enough to go around for lots of companies, right?

Figure out a good flyer, have a couple thousand printed up and go pass them out in the areas you want to work in. Iíd do it right now even though itís hot and dry because there are always some who want to either change or begin having lawn service.

Mark
07-09-2002, 11:06 PM
Its not so much as how many clients u have,Its how much your making on each customer. Id love to just have 35 accounts which paid 125.00 per stop. Right now i don't take on any lawn under 45.00 and have many 50 and 60, it will just take some time to get yourself established, do the absosute best job you can do and your work will sell itself, I always see many LCOs everyday,but i have developed and name and alot of people know what kind of work they will be getting, its the same as any other business you know the good ones. If your heart is set on the Lawncare Business go for it....Marks Mowing Service

wolfpacklawn
07-09-2002, 11:15 PM
If you give excellent service and find your focus or niche then you can have a successful business no matter how many businesses are out there. Many who had the idea of starting a lawn business this year will be out of business next year as they realize that their knowledge of how to mow a lawn doesn't necessarily translate into knowledge of running a successful business. If you have a good business plan and know how to give good and reliable service then you will probably make it. If you only know how to mow lawns then you are wasting your time and should look to work for someone else.

awm
07-10-2002, 12:38 AM
i dont know about other areas but here
at least 90% mow their own lawn.
i believe its a little different than a service station. but truth is, the cream will come to da top in any buisiness.imho

CJIII
07-10-2002, 01:14 AM
Ya I am going to wait to next season.

tranum
07-10-2002, 01:58 PM
a lot of people in my area cut their own grass also. population of my town is only about 3500. entire county is around 14,000. according to one of my competitors, this year 29 people purchased a business license to do lawn care in the city. there are probably at least that many who didn't. talk about competition!!!!!!!

scribbles
07-10-2002, 08:14 PM
I agree with KDJ. I've been doing this in Cent. Fla. for 15yrs and have never felt threatend by the competition. I always have plenty of work and refer more accounts than I take on.

proline32
07-11-2002, 11:09 PM
I see more and more LCO's all the time, but you know everyone I talk to is busy and some even ask me if I want some of thier accounts, I've dumped accounts onto other lco's and one day while at my local john deere dealer the sales guy even stated that every lco that he knew had plenty of work, oh sure thier are a few out there that arn't doing a lot....... they are probably doing something wrong. I wouldn't worry about it but if you start late in the season you are probably wasting your time, most people have by now hired a service, and most services are cutting back thier advertisment some because they are busy..... I never advertise in the phone book, but in the weekly paper all summer long, sometimes you get some pretty good jobs this way.

brucec32
07-12-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by CJIII
I am haveing doubts about starting me a lawn service. I would like to know what should I do?

You should go get some more of them french fried taters, mmm hmm. Pass the mustard, I got some biscuits, mmm hmmm.

satzinger
07-12-2002, 09:21 AM
I don't know what kind of financial condition you're in but my recommendation is to start small and then build up. Comm. equipment is so very expensive and would be a trap to you if you decided to get out of the business and also a weight on your conscience.

A month and a half ago I started by borrowing a mower and other equip to do some yards as well as took on some weeding and clearing flower bed jobs.

Today, I have all my own equipment and now have 23 lawns. It's not commercial stuff accept for my weed eater but I get the job done. However, I do dream of the day I'll have a 0 degree with a bagger. My life will get a whole lot easier.

It'll come.

This is what can happen if you apply diligence.

Take Care.

satzinger
07-12-2002, 09:27 AM
My guess is that Montgomery is so large you shouldn't have any trouble finding lawns. I've found that most "one guy and a mower" people do a very crappy job. Just cutting, no edging or bagging. I would almost guarantee that if you look real hard you can find some lawns of dissatisfied customers.

bilbo7021
07-13-2002, 12:16 AM
Well, I took a different aproach up here in northern Pa. I placed some flyers with a simple message "can't get the yard work done? have the tools? I'll do the work" and my phone number. Then I put an ad in the classifieds of our local paper. It was the simplest way I could think of how to start. And believe it or not, it worked!

Now I know there are a few established LCO's here in town, and quite a few more part-timers who just do a few lawns. But it wasn't till I got into this business that I swear I saw at least three or four trucks with trailers and mowers almost every day. That never disguraged me cause I have been getting phone calls for jobs ever since I started. I've had at least a couple jobs each day for the last few weeks.

I only charge $10 an hour to do just about everything from lawns to gutters, but I figure if I'm using the customers equipment why charge more? I'm slowly gaining funds to gather equipment for next year. And I've only been really doing this for about a month now. I figured that I could either try to save up enough to buy all the right stuff later, or try and let the business buy it for me. I'm picking up items as I need them, and it's not going bad at all.

dr grass
07-14-2002, 02:37 PM
cj - dont get discourged. there are alot of "lawn cares" in the area where i live. i prefer to call them "fly-by-night" services. they have no idea what there getting into. just because they cut their own yard, they figure how hard can it be. well, these guys are not gonna be around long. they buy some cheap equipment, charge bottom line prices, and do a half ***** job. i always told my clients i dont claim to be the cheapest, but i claim to be one of the best. just concentrate on doing good quality work and that will get the ball rolling for you. stick with it. i feel that im making a good living for something i consider a hobby.

Shep

Bob Minney
07-14-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by brucec32

You should go get some more of them french fried taters, mmm hmm. Pass the mustard, I got some biscuits, mmm hmmm.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If someone walks up to you carrying a mower blade while you're sitting there drinkin yer beer-you knew better;)