PDA

View Full Version : Mowing when the grass is brown

Mack
07-09-2002, 04:00 PM
I was wondering how many of you still mow when we have not had rain and the grass is brown. I have not been able to mow this week for the grass is dried up, but I still see companys out there mowing and nothing but dust flying up in the air. I am sorry but I will not due that to my customers. I was just wondering if I am wrong or is that business. I know people need that money but in the long run I would rather lose a little money and know that my customers love my decision not to cut and will stay with me instead of receiving phone calls because they are mad someone cut the grass and it burned up instead of waiting a week and let it grow out. Sorry just venting to see companys out still cutting and not cutting anything.

David Haggerty
07-09-2002, 04:50 PM
I never found any profit in killing a customers' lawn. But I'll take it even one step further. I quit mowing when the lawns start to dry out. Then when the rains resume, my lawns are the first to green back up. I'm mowing more keeping them green than the guy who beats the lawns to death trying to slide in that last marginal mowing.

Dave

agrostis palustris
07-09-2002, 08:27 PM
Mack, when the lawns go brown why not just do something else? Do landscape work, or whatever else you may have to do. If you are into spraying you can apply some Fe chelate in order to get the lawns to green up. This will help them to get through the heat better as it promotes PSN.

joshua
07-09-2002, 11:48 PM
mack, i think you're very close to me, if your yards are brown you're mowing way to short, i'm cutting everything at 4.5 inches right now and most everything is green except where disease has hit, and i'm getting growth just not as fast.