PDA

View Full Version : Toro Tru Trak Sulky - floating deck and fixed deck

boosteddsm92
05-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Picked up a Toro Proline 52" w/floating deck and a Toro Tru Track sulky made for a fixed deck (model 30109). Can someone tell me what the difference is between the sulkies made for a floating deck and those made for a fixed deck? From what I can see, it's just the holes in the brackets and the spacing of the brackets. Is there any reason why I can't use this sulky if I get it fitted/attached correctly? Do I need more than 1 bolt on each side attaching the mower and the sulky?

Also, what's the difference between the Toros w/a fixed deck and mine w/a floating deck?

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Maybe this will help. These are pics from my 40" Toro Hydro T2 floating deck. You will need more than one bolt for sure or it will rock back and forth.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Toro%20Tru-Trac/ToroTru-Trac196.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Toro%20Tru-Trac/ToroTru-Trac195.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Toro%20Tru-Trac/ToroTru-Trac193.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Toro%20Tru-Trac/ToroTru-Trac192.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Toro%20Tru-Trac/ToroTru-Trac191.jpg

boosteddsm92
05-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Yep, definitely helpful! I'll just have to rig something up and it should be fine, thanks again!

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 10:53 AM
In my opinion, the tru trak kind of defeats the purpose of a sulky, they are way to big and bulky when all you need is a spot to stand on, nothing more. Ive always thought the best sulkies are the smallest and takes up the least amount of space.

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:03 AM
In my opinion, the tru trak kind of defeats the purpose of a sulky, they are way to big and bulky when all you need is a spot to stand on, nothing more. Ive always thought the best sulkies are the smallest and takes up the least amount of space.

Then you have never used one have you?

You would look like an idiot on a one wheeled sulky attached to my mower...been there, do that...its fine if you dont mind having your ass sticking out because the arm is too long, and with the short arm the wheel folds under when you backup. did you know that pulling 2 pins and the whole thing slides off?

The TruTrak is the best Sulky design period.

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Oh, if you dont have the weights on the front of your mower you may want to invest in some...at least 2.

boosteddsm92
05-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Oh, if you dont have the weights on the front of your mower you may want to invest in some...at least 2.
The manual says if you have a 52" you don't need weights, anything smaller and you do need them. I'll give it a go w/out the weights and see how it is.

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:17 AM
And Mike, a bench seat in a pickup takes up alot of room...all you need is a 5 gallon bucket.

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 11:18 AM
The manual says if you have a 52" you don't need weights, anything smaller and you do need them. I'll give it a go w/out the weights and see how it is.

I have 3 on my 40", depending on your weight you might not need them on your 52'....but if you are a blessed with above average normal weight it may lift on some hills without them even if manual says they are not needed.

FastMan
05-12-2010, 12:24 PM
cgaengineer, I'm purchasing the same Toro 40" mower you have this spring. Hadn't really considered adding a TruTrak, as I'll be using it on some pretty hilly areas. Do you think I should reconsider? What would it cost me (retail) to get one and the necessary weights? Also, does having it on (in upright postion) introduce any negatives when using it in walk behind mode? Thanks much.

boosteddsm92
05-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I have 3 on my 40", depending on your weight you might not need them on your 52'....but if you are a blessed with above average normal weight it may lift on some hills without them even if manual says they are not needed.
OK, I'll see how I do w/it. I'm only using it to mow my lawn and there's a small hill in front of my house but it's not much at all. What I was worried about is the extra weight the sulky and I will add. The sulky is almost 100 pounds, plus me, another 200 will make it a total of 300 more pounds. The mower can handle that? It's a 18hp Kaw.

cgaengineer
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
I'll reply tomorrow when I am not falling asleep on the couch and I am sitting behind a computer.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
05-13-2010, 06:41 AM
cgaengineer, I'm purchasing the same Toro 40" mower you have this spring. Hadn't really considered adding a TruTrak, as I'll be using it on some pretty hilly areas. Do you think I should reconsider? What would it cost me (retail) to get one and the necessary weights? Also, does having it on (in upright postion) introduce any negatives when using it in walk behind mode? Thanks much.

Will this be your only mower? If so get the TruTrak. The TruTrak will run you about $500 and the weights are about $60 each from what I remember. When in the up position it does become front light, but you can remove the TruTrak with 2 quick pins and this problem goes away, installation is a snap after removal...takes about 1 minute to remove/replace. The added weight on front will help will really help with the steep hills if the TruTrak is removed.

cgaengineer
05-13-2010, 06:46 AM
OK, I'll see how I do w/it. I'm only using it to mow my lawn and there's a small hill in front of my house but it's not much at all. What I was worried about is the extra weight the sulky and I will add. The sulky is almost 100 pounds, plus me, another 200 will make it a total of 300 more pounds. The mower can handle that? It's a 18hp Kaw.

The mower should handle it just fine as long as its a hydro, mines a 19 Kawi. As far as the weight...I wouldn't be too concerned.

The power of hydraulics is amazing...

boosteddsm92
05-13-2010, 08:43 AM
The mower should handle it just fine as long as its a hydro, mines a 19 Kawi. As far as the weight...I wouldn't be too concerned.

The power of hydraulics is amazing...
I already have the sulky and the mower has a gear trans. Are the gear trans units less capable?

cgaengineer
05-13-2010, 09:17 AM
I already have the sulky and the mower has a gear trans. Are the gear trans units less capable?

Well a belt drive can slip, that's all I was getting at.
Posted via Mobile Device

FastMan
05-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Will this be your only mower? If so get the TruTrak. The TruTrak will run you about $500 and the weights are about $60 each from what I remember. When in the up position it does become front light, but you can remove the TruTrak with 2 quick pins and this problem goes away, installation is a snap after removal...takes about 1 minute to remove/replace. The added weight on front will help will really help with the steep hills if the TruTrak is removed.

Thanks, cgaengineer. No, not my only mower, I'll also have a 60" ztr. Hmmmm,,, I'll give it some thought.

cgaengineer
05-13-2010, 03:39 PM
If you have a ZTR then I honestly wouldn't worry about a TruTrak unless you have several smaller props where you could use it.
Posted via Mobile Device

boosteddsm92
05-13-2010, 04:28 PM
If you have a ZTR then I honestly wouldn't worry about a TruTrak unless you have several smaller props where you could use it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure what the poster is talking about in the post before yours. Anyway, I appreciate the pics of your setup and your advice/info. Very useful, thanks for your time!

cgaengineer
05-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Not sure what the poster is talking about in the post before yours. Anyway, I appreciate the pics of your setup and your advice/info. Very useful, thanks for your time!

He was hittin' the pipe.
Posted via Mobile Device