PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Bermuda in TX

Gundy1024
05-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Hello all,

I have some questions about my lawn and was told to post a thread here to see if you all could help.

My lawn is a hybrid Bermuda that I laid from sod about 4 years ago and although it does not look all that bad I am not as happy with it as I think I could be. It never seems to fully green up during the spring and I have lots of dead growth from the prior year showing .

Question is how should I be treating it? (mowing, fert, etc.)

I will post some pics as soon as I get home and take some. Like I said before though, it is not a bad looking ard, just looking to make it better.

Thanks,

Gundy

Gundy1024
05-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Here is a basic picture of the lawn.

TCU
05-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Go to Home Depot and buy the cheapest 15-5-10 fertilizer. Fertilize every 6 weeks of the growing season. To make your lawn greener buy some 1-0-1 ironite and apply that as needed.

fl-landscapes
05-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Go to Home Depot and buy the cheapest 15-5-10 fertilizer. Fertilize every 6 weeks of the growing season. To make your lawn greener buy some 1-0-1 ironite and apply that as needed.

This is good advice. Also as your lawn comes out of dormancy it's a good time to scalp it down, aerate and then fertlize, water to get it going. I would go and get some lesco fert though. Cheap vigaro at home cheapo has a lot of crappy filler in it.

Gundy1024
05-12-2010, 10:29 PM
OK, thanks for the advise. Weather here is going to be rainy here for the next week, in the mid 80's. So, should I go ahead and scalp the lawn now or is it too late?

Also, Lesco is not an option here, we have a few non chain stores that I can look into for the fert. Will look for the numbers you all have suggested.

Also, I have added some pics that I took this afternoon. In them you will see some areas that are not growing the same as the rest. Is this because of the fact that the yard was not leveled properly prior to the sod going down or do I need to treat these areas different? There are parts of the lawn that do not grow in as thick as other parts, what can I do about that?
Thanks for the help!

Gundy1024
05-12-2010, 10:32 PM
More Pictures

Gundy1024
05-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Just a few more

TCU
05-13-2010, 12:32 PM
At the McKinney Home Depot they have Lesco, but they mark it up a ton...
All 15-5-10 fertilizers are pretty much the same.
I would just buy the cheapest

gulfjoe
05-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Can you apply the Fertilizer and the Ironite at the same time? I ask becasue I live down the street from him and I will be helping with this little project.

Thanks GulfJoe

fl-landscapes
05-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Can you apply the Fertilizer and the Ironite at the same time? I ask becasue I live down the street from him and I will be helping with this little project.

Thanks GulfJoe

yes

Gundy1024
05-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Well, all the suggested Fert has been applied, time to wait and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

chaser2587
05-17-2010, 09:59 PM
You need to look into a powered reel mower as well. Last year, my lawn looked alot like yours, and this year I'm mowing with a reel mower and it is light years ahead of my yard from last year. As for the fert, look into a slow release fertilizer with a high nitrogen number... somewhere around 30 will be good. Bermuda loves nitrogen. Overall if you want to see your bermuda lawn at it's full potential the best thing you can do is start mowing with a reel mower.

Gundy1024
06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Ok, so the lawn is looking much better and I would like to thank you all for your input.

I do have a new question though, should I airate and if so, when is the right time of year to do it for my type of lawn?

Thanks again for the help

wrager
06-05-2010, 03:45 PM
You can aerate warm season grass like Bermuda now. As long as it is groing vigorously, it will heal. I'm in ATL and did it last week. We had a lot of rain after, so it has filled in well. I laso used my power rake (delta blades) to break up the plugs.

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 11:47 AM
As long as bermuda is growing and you can provide the needed irrigation you can aerate at anytime except right before dormancy. If you want your bermuda to look its best (like 10 times better) you need to topdress the lawn and cut with a reel mower.

cgaengineer
06-06-2010, 11:49 AM
You can aerate warm season grass like Bermuda now. As long as it is groing vigorously, it will heal. I'm in ATL and did it last week. We had a lot of rain after, so it has filled in well. I laso used my power rake (delta blades) to break up the plugs.

I have used this same technique to break up my plugs, but I hate puching my power rake around so I have left all of them.

Gundy1024
06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Could you be so kind as to explain what topdress means?

cgaengineer
06-07-2010, 09:21 AM

Topdressing is applying a thin layer of sand/compost to your lawn to improve soil or level a bumpy lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device

chaser2587
06-07-2010, 01:28 PM

I started a thread in lawn maintenance and renovation forum and posted some pics of my lawn topdressed with river sand. I did this on Saturday so take a look at them and you can see first hand what it is.

wrager
06-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Top dressing is done for a couple of reasons, at least on bermuda. The use of sand is for leveling, which is almost a requirement when using a powered reel mower. You really need a flat farily level surface with these beasts.

The second reason would be to provide organic matter that helps break up clay soils and improve general soil health. This is usually some type of compost or mix. The synthetic fert's we use can take a toll on OM and soil health.

See the link for some examples, and no, I have no affiliation with this company.

http://www.southernlandscapesupply.com/products.asp?pg=soils