PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade up to a bigger Z?

Cut 2 Please
07-09-2002, 05:17 PM
In May I sold my Snapper WB and purchased a Ferris 1000z 48" cut. I have taken on some larger properties (3-8 acres) now with a lot of wide open cutting. I now feel like I would be better off with 61". What I am wondering is will a 61 save me much time? When thinking about it, it seems like it would. I am considering either the IS 3000 with the 25hp or the IS 4000 with the 27hp. Any input is welcome.

Norway911
07-09-2002, 07:28 PM
Cut 2 Please, how do you like the 1000z? I am considering purchasing one. Any info on it would be great. Thanks.

Pelican
07-09-2002, 10:34 PM
A 61" deck is 22% larger than the 48, theoretically this should be your time savings. You must ask yourself if the larger machine will work at your other accounts as well.

You'll also take a pretty good beating on your sale price with such a new machine, the most depriciation takes place in the first season, something to consider.

mowerconsultant
07-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Norway911,
Where are you in CNY ????
I am in Syracuse, I would be glad to show you the Hustler line in person.
Let me know..........

Later
Pj

E-mail hustler@twcny.rr.com

Cut 2 Please
07-10-2002, 10:38 AM
PELICAN;
I realize that there is a depreciation loss and I would love to be able to keep this mower and buy another but I am a one man show at this time. I only have one property that is to small for a 61", however it is also to small for my 48" so I push it. I see time as money and what I am trying to way out is would the depreciation loss be off-set by time saved? If so it would be worth while buying the larger mower. I am still confused on what to do.:confused:

HarryD
07-10-2002, 11:37 AM
:D

HarryD
07-10-2002, 11:40 AM
who cares about depreciation if it takes you a hour to mow a property with your 48" and now your mowing with a 61" your adding 13" per pass you figure its gunna cut your mowing time down by 15 to 20 min's at least if not more because you can ride alot faster then you can walk by far

if ya can go with the bigger motor, do it . ya wont regret it the more power the better.
as for getting rid of the ferris. its nice to have sevral different sizes of mowers with you . i myself carry a 21" pusher 36" 48" 60" WB on my trailer and im a one man show and i use them all for differnt jobs.
always a few customers yards that i would scap the hell out of with the 60" so i use my 48" and i have a few i can only get a 36" in the back yard

when i upgraded to a 60" gravley hydro pro WB i cut a day off my lawns :D i also use a velke on my big propertys

Yee Haw its raining here today

Pelican
07-10-2002, 06:08 PM
You're correct in your statement that "time is money". I'm in favor of anything that can speed up the job without sacrificing quality, in my competitive market, the only way to make more money is to do more work in a day's time.

I'm constantly searching for ways to improve efficiency and I purchased a 61" ZTR several years ago to do this. The machine I selected proved to be unreliable and spent much time in the repair shop. Towards the end of the first season, I approached the dealer to trade on an improved model and was offered only half of what I paid for the machine with only 200 hours on it. This was a $3500 hit. I couldn't afford the upgrade at that rate and held on to the machine for two more years and sold it with 1000 hours on it for $4500 under what I paid for it.

It will take you nearly 10 hours to mow with a 48" deck what you can do in 8 with a 61", at the end of a 5 day week you've gained almost a full day's work. This would be an additional 4 day's work per month, depending on you're hourly rate, this should offset the cost of the machine provided you have enough work to kkeep busy. If you can afford the depriciation loss, then the larger machine will pay for itself.

I won't tell you what to do, but here are both sides of the equation. You must decide what is right for you.