PDA

View Full Version : Winding pavestone walkway

brentsawyer
07-09-2002, 05:50 PM
I am giving a price on a pavestone walkway that is going to be 125' long and 3.5' wide. It will curve around from the driveway all the way to the back deck and is over semi flat land with grade changes of less than 3' over the entire path. Since it is Kentucky, clay will be heavy and edging will be required since it is particulary narrow. I have been seeing prices average $10/sq.ft. and feel that this is way out of that range since 250' of edging costing $500 will be used and alot more cutting will be done and more waste will occur. I'm thinking that this will $15-17 range making it one expensive walkway. Any thoughts or HELPFUL information is appreciated.

PAPS
07-09-2002, 09:39 PM
i would cahrge him the 10.00 a sq. then tack on the extra charge for the edgers like u mentioned... as for the cuttin... maybe its worth another 1-2 a sq. but for the most part... i dont see it... the jobs about 450 sq. as is...its a nice size walk

DaveK
07-09-2002, 10:20 PM
What style pavers/pattern?

With the right type of paver there wouldn't be any cuts except for at the ends. I use the word "right" very loosely (if they want 4x8 herringbone on a curving 3.5' walk, then yes there will be plenty of cutting/waste).

Around me the going rate is $12-$14 at the low end, and that is with cement troweled as an edge. Aluminum paver edge is charged additionally.

brentsawyer
07-10-2002, 08:52 AM
Thank you DaveK and Paps. He does want the 4X8 so that it will match his brick and since it will be winding in many directions, I think he'll be best with the Herringbone pattern. So this will add to the equation more and I will have to cut just about every edge.

kermit
07-10-2002, 09:00 PM
If you can get away with a running bond pattern you won't have much cutting but you should use an edge restraint such as snap-edge and I would charge $12-14/sq. ft.

Meier
07-01-2003, 10:23 PM
What's the best way to cut the pavestones? I've got a winding sidewalk that we're doing a bid on with Pavestone and I don't really know how to cut the stones.

The Pavestone people here in Dallas have a tool they rent for $18 per day. She said it was like a guillotine and works reall well.

Rex Mann
07-02-2003, 01:54 AM
Meier,

If you have lots of cuts rent a hand held cutoff saw. If you have a few cuts then rent the chopper. As for cutting the winding walkway, overlay it the take plastic conduit and use it to mark where your soldier course will lay. Take a sharpie type marker and draw a line on all the edge pavers. Then rent a hand held and follow the line. Cut them where they sit. Also, use a little bit of a back cut to minimize the gap along the edge restraint.Peace,

Rex

Rex Mann
07-02-2003, 02:22 AM
Like this.

Peace,

Rex