PDA

View Full Version : Hustler super z shutter?

rjh4758
05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
My hustler super z started to shutter today when ever I try going wide open. Anyone have clue what it might be?
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
05-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Hydro belt slipping?

Hydro fluid full enough?

rjh4758
05-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Fluids full. I think maybe belt slipping too. Belt has few years on it and it only does it on rapid excel
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
05-12-2010, 05:30 PM
It's called a "shudder". I wouldn't make a big deal of this but we also have shutters in the outdoor power world.

A shudder is like a shake.

A shutter is kinda like a door that you open and close. It's usually found on carb air cleaner housings and will allow warm exhaust air into the housing in the wintertime. It can help with carb icing.

That said...

What was shuddering? The whole mower? The engine? The deck?

puppypaws
05-12-2010, 08:53 PM
My hustler super z started to shutter today when ever I try going wide open. Anyone have clue what it might be?
Posted via Mobile Device

It is a belt problem, change the belt!

gene gls
05-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Hydro system is getting ready to take a crap.

puppypaws
05-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Hydro system is getting ready to take a crap.

That is always a possibility (hope not for his sake), but a slipping hydro belt will make it do exactly what he is describing.

Mickhippy
05-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Hope for the best..... Belt
Plan for the worst... Hydro system failure.

If belts as old as your saying your a very lucky man!

MOHUSTLER
05-13-2010, 09:02 AM
I also thought belt till I read that it only does it at full speed which makes me think that the swash plates are worn out and as someone said getting ready to take a crap haha.

puppypaws
05-13-2010, 12:46 PM
I also thought belt till I read that it only does it at full speed which makes me think that the swash plates are worn out and as someone said getting ready to take a crap haha.

He did not describe it as happening only at full speed but when attempting to move into the top speed range very quickly,(accelerating very fast).

Fluids full. I think maybe belt slipping too. Belt has few years on it and it only does it on rapid excel

rjh4758
05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for grammar lesson Richard.

Mohustler, I hope it is just the belt. If I excelerate normally it is fine and rind top speed fine, it is just when rapidly excelerating to top speed that it happens. I will stop at the dealer and pick up a new belt. Was going to replace it at the start of the season when I replaced the deck belt but they were out and I never went back to pick one up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
05-13-2010, 06:41 PM
They can be a pita to replace.
Put belt around all pulleys except the idler.
Put some rope (I use bungie chord) through the holes where the hitch attach's. The 2 on the left.
Place rope around (above) the idler pulley (sort of around the spindle.)
Pull on the rope to get the idler over/under the belt.

Thats about the easiest way I know to do it. They are a pita if you dont use the chord around the idler as the spring tension makes it difficult when your on ya back!

TLS
05-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Mine always break/come off when it's 102 degrees and I'm down on the grass dripping in sweat.
Posted via Mobile Device

puppypaws
05-13-2010, 08:17 PM
They can be a pita to replace.
Put belt around all pulleys except the idler.
Put some rope (I use bungie chord) through the holes where the hitch attach's. The 2 on the left.
Place rope around (above) the idler pulley (sort of around the spindle.)
Pull on the rope to get the idler over/under the belt.

Thats about the easiest way I know to do it. They are a pita if you dont use the chord around the idler as the spring tension makes it difficult when your on ya back!

I take a pair of vise grip locking pliers, unhook the chain on the deck belt tensioner spring and slip the deck belt off one pulley to give it slack. I then raise the back of the mower into the air (makes it very easy to work on), then drop the deck belt off the clutch take the tensioner spring loose on the pump tightener and change the hydro belt, then put the deck belt back on the clutch pulley. I then let the mower down, put the deck belt back in place on the one deck pulley I removed it from, take the locking pliers and pull the tensioner spring chain back into place, I am now rolling in no more than 5 to 10 minutes.

If you break a belt while mowing it becomes a totally different scenario to deal with. I'm too old to change it on the ground, which means I will find some way to raise it into the air.

This should be in everyone's tool lineup, very inexpensive and makes working on a low profile Hustler (or any mower) very easy.

http://images.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/00900-00999/00996.gif