PDA

View Full Version : Too TruTrak on hills. Opinions please.

FastMan
05-12-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm purchasing a Toro 40" hydro walk behind. It's going to get a lot of work on hills, a couple of them serious steep. My gut feeling, without having tried a Trutrak, or any velke/sulky, is that I won't be able to mow the steepness of hills with it that I could walking. Am I wrong?

FastMan
05-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Would a moderator please change the first word in the title of this thread to TORO? Thank you. (dang typos)

fl-landscapes
05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Steep hills are always easier with a walk behind.....without the sulky. Try it with the sulky and if it doesnt work, walk it. You have less ability to muscle the machine around when your on a sulky. I have a toro 32" with sulky.

All_Toro_4ME
05-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm purchasing a Toro 40" hydro walk behind. It's going to get a lot of work on hills, a couple of them serious steep. My gut feeling, without having tried a Trutrak, or any velke/sulky, is that I won't be able to mow the steepness of hills with it that I could walking. Am I wrong?

It's hard to say. I've never had problems with mine around the hills here, but I see you're from CO so I'm sure your hills are much steeper then the ones here. On another note, you might look into weights to mount on the front of the machine. It comes with 1 and can hold up to 4. You'll prob need at least 2more for the hills you'll be facing. Otherwise, the front end will pop up because of lack of weight balance.

FastMan
05-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Here's another question. Will a mower with a TruTrak in the upright position perform as well in walk behind mode as a mower without a TruTrak? If not, what are the compromises?

FastMan
05-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Will a mower with a TruTrak in the upright position perform as well in walk behind mode as a mower without a TruTrak?

Bumping this question. Especially interested in respect to performance on hills

TMlawncare
05-12-2010, 11:05 PM
We have a modified toro tru trak sulky on our exmark 60" turf tracer. It is the best sulky on the market hands down. Can you mow steep hills, yes but not as easy as just walking behind. Going across a hill the sulky will want to pull the mower down.

Frue
05-13-2010, 08:13 AM
the tru trac in the up position will cause the front of the deck to raise up a bit.

All_Toro_4ME
05-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Here's another question. Will a mower with a TruTrak in the upright position perform as well in walk behind mode as a mower without a TruTrak? If not, what are the compromises?

If you put the trutrak in the upright position, you'll need to counter the weight as well. It'll take some getting use to if you decide to use it in upright position because your knees or shins will periodically come in contact with the trutrak while you're walking. If you're going to use it on hills and choose to walk, it'd be better to just pull the pins and free the trutrak from the unit.